How does the Shareholder thing work?

jools02

Earning My Ears
Ok, forgive me for being very dim here but I would like to take advantage of the Shareholder scheme and the discounts you can get being one. My question is how does it work? And does it cost much? I know absolutely nothing about shares and things!

It was thanks to this wonderful forum just over a year ago that I found out all about the shareholders club, and joined straight away. 3 trips later I still cant quite believe how fabulous it is and how much money I have saved.

You need just 5 shares to join but if you have 20 shares you dont need to pay any fees to join the club. You can but them online through the Halifax, who as Ruddles kindly pointed out earlier today - for this week only are waiving the £17.50 fee. The shares are about £4 each at the moment i think but the shareholders website isnt working properly on my PC - here is a link anyway.
http://corporate.disneylandparis.com/shareholders/shareholders-club/index.xhtml
Once you have your shares you fill in the form (can take a while for a response) but once a member the rewards are fab. My favourite bit being Salon Mickey which my kids think makes them almost celebs:cool1:

Hi, take a look here-

http://corporate.disneylandparis.com/shareholders/shareholders-club/

In short, you need to own either 5 shares and pay a 30 euro fee every 2 years, or 20 shares without a fee.

There's a membership form link on the site above, and also details of the discounts, priviledges and offers you become entitled to.

A lot of people (including me) get their shares through a Halifax share dealing account as it makes it comparatively easy for those of us who aren't managing larger portfolios, and there's no annual maintenance charge.

If you are thinking about getting shares Halifax are doing international trading commision free till Monday, which would save you £17.50. (I'm not an employee of Halifax!)

Finally, it's definitely worth doing. We saved our money through restaurant visits and shopping discounts the first trip, and using Salon Mikey as a place to pause and regroup in the late morning can be a real blessing!

Thats ok Ruddles - I am always telling people about it because I cant get over what fabulous value it is. Just the free drinks and pastries on a 4 day trip practically saves you the same as the cost of the shares for a family of 4. Off I go again:lmao:

Yep, have to agree. Theres only 2 of us, and I made my money back on the cost of 20 shares in one trip to DLP :goodvibes.

Ooo, you are tempting me now!

So, what do you get in Salon Mickey? Also, do you get discount in all of the gift shops and is it most of the restaurants too?

Thanks!

Ooo, you are tempting me now!

So, what do you get in Salon Mickey? Also, do you get discount in all of the gift shops and is it most of the restaurants too?

Thanks!

We use Salon Mickey when we're staying offsite, or haven't got up early enough for breakfast at our hotel ;). Salon Mickey is open 9am to 12noon each day, we pop in for a hot drink (or OJ/water etc) and a cookie or muffin, to keep us going. This is a shareholders perk, and its lovely - really does make you feel like you are in an exclusive club :goodvibes.

You get 15% discount in almost every shop in the resort, and 15% discount on the table and buffet service restaurants in the resort. Plus, your shareholders card gives you 10% discount on anything you buy in the Disney Store here in the UK :thumbsup2.

There are other perks, but these are the main ones.

You and your family (I think up to about 4 or 5) can go in until noon and you can help yourself to soft drink (fresh orange or water) or hot drinks from a machine and a pastry each (chocolate muffin, Mickey brioche, or chocolate chip cookie). The only rule is you have to eat and drink there- you cant take them out. We always go when its really quiet season and we are usually the only people in there. Last time i had a very large Mickey glove shaped chocolate chip biscuit which I havent seen anywhere else.
You get discount in all shops and all table service restaurants.
At the beginning of the month when we went with free dinning we ordered cocktails with our meals and at some restaurants they took the discount off the whole cost of the meal, then used our vouchers and we ended up paying just 4euros!
We also did the tour of the main park which is reduced price for shareholders (and free for kids) so for 24euros we had had a private tour for just the 4 of us and got 4 exclusive pins which was fabulous for my 2 very keen pin collector children.
See there is just no stopping me going on about it:rotfl:
Oh I nearly forgot - you get a discount in the Disney store too

Thanks for all the info, very tempted to get some shares now, thanks again!
Do you get discount on the character photos?

If I sort out some shares with Halifax tomorrow will I be able to use my benifits when I go in 18 days ?

You'll have to have your shares certificate/proof of shares bought, the shareholders application completed and sent off (plus any fee if you don't buy at least 20 shares), before you can get your shareholders card. It might be a bit of a push. Disney can send you a temporary shareholders club membership letter, but they will need you to have sent them all the relevant paperwork and fees first. They usually require around 12 weeks for the process.

Wow! I'm definitely convinced now!!! Just a couple of quick questions if you don't mind.

So are we all entitled to go in the Salon Mickey even if its just me who's the shareholder?

If its just me who is a shareholder can the whole family get the benefits; i.e My MIL will be coming with us and she normally pays for the whole family to have a meal. If I show my shareholder card even though she is paying would they give us the 15% off or would I have to be the one paying? And is it 15% off the whole meal or just my share?

Same question goes for the shops really, she loves to spoil the kids rotten buying things for them. Would I be able to give the shareholder card to her to get 15% off? Or could I use it for her even if she pays at the till iykwim?

Thanks!

I havent bought any character photos recently but you do get a discount on ride photos so I dont see why not.

When I joined it was just a couple of weeks before I went and I did manage to sort it out quickly by fax and several phone calls. I then got a temporary faxed membership letter (which confused some people in some shops but did still work). I sent a few emails too stressing why it was such a rush.

Wow! I'm definitely convinced now!!! Just a couple of quick questions if you don't mind.

So are we all entitled to go in the Salon Mickey even if its just me who's the shareholder?

If its just me who is a shareholder can the whole family get the benefits; i.e My MIL will be coming with us and she normally pays for the whole family to have a meal. If I show my shareholder card even though she is paying would they give us the 15% off or would I have to be the one paying? And is it 15% off the whole meal or just my share?

Same question goes for the shops really, she loves to spoil the kids rotten buying things for them. Would I be able to give the shareholder card to her to get 15% off? Or could I use it for her even if she pays at the till iykwim?

Thanks!

Up to 5 of you, the shareholder plus 4 family members, can visit Salon Mickey together. Or up to 4 of you, the shareholder plus 3 friends.

You don't have to be the one paying for the meal - you just show your shareholder card when you ask for the bill, then when it comes it will have the discount on it, and your MIL can pay for it :). Its 15% off the whole bill.

For shopping, just go with her to the tills, show your shareholder card before they ring up the total (ie before they start ringing through the purchases, show your card) then your MIL can pay for it all. Don't give her the card, as it will not have her details on it.

Thanks!

There is a limit to the number of people who can go in but my sister always come in with us no questions asked.

Discount comes off all and it doesnt matter who then pays. I have often been in a shop and used it, then passed it to my to my sister to use.

Ok fantastic. I'm so eager I'm in the process of opening an online account with Halifax! I've hit a bit of a wall though, I've selected to have the Share Dealing Account and now it says I need to put a £100 deposit down. Is this the right account? Also, I only wanted to buy the 5 shares, so can I withdraw the rest of the deposit once I've bought the shares do you think?

Sorry for all the questions!

I've looked on Halifax and where does it say its free to get shares this week, its still telling me i need to spend £11.95 admin fee.

Ok fantastic. I'm so eager I'm in the process of opening an online account with Halifax! I've hit a bit of a wall though, I've selected to have the Share Dealing Account and now it says I need to put a £100 deposit down. Is this the right account? Also, I only wanted to buy the 5 shares, so can I withdraw the rest of the deposit once I've bought the shares do you think?

Sorry for all the questions!

Hi, yes they require 100 pounds to open the account. This can be withdrawn at a later date. I would however, buy20 shares rather than the five as the shares will always be yours to sell or keep as you please and then you don't have to pay for the priviledge of being in the shareholders club, every two years.

It really is a lovely thing, makes the magic even more special knowing you are a part of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!