How does renting DVC points work

Note - if you 'rent points', the reservation is controlled by the DVC Member. So, if you want to add the Dining Plan or Magical Express, you have to do it through them.[/QUOTE]

I rent points for all of my trips and I always book the magic express myself workout an issue. Disney does not make the link easy to find for some reason. Here it is for anyone looking for it.
https://secure.reservations.disney.go.com/ibcwdw/en_US/dme/dmeform

I rent points for all of my trips and I always book the magic express myself workout an issue. Disney does not make the link easy to find for some reason.
You shouldn't do that. DVC members pay dues to cover DME for their reservations. You mess with the accounting system when you go rogue and do it on your own. Please take the additional step and book DME thru the member who made the reservation for you.

The earlier you book, the better your chance at getting what you want. If you use a company like David's, make the request prior to 11 months if you can, and they will hopefully be able to find an owner at that particular resort who can book it for you. Some of the cheaper studios are instantly booked up at the 11 month mark.

If you are willing to spend a bit more, the 1 bdrm or larger rooms all have in-suite laundry and a full kitchen.

As already mentioned, just be aware of the downsides of going this route (eg. buy insurance if you think there is a possibility you might need to cancel; once booked, you likely cannot change the dates, etc).

Some rent directly from an owner, but many prefer using a company like David's for peace of mind.

I got one in Oct 2017 by putting in my request with David's 12 months ahead, so I would be near the top of the list when the 11 month booking window opened.

I just put in my request yesterday - 12 months out from our March 2020 trip. Since we’re staying 10 days, they can’t look for a booking until 4/7, but I figured this gives me my best shot. I did ask for the (longshot) value studios at AKL, but then did the option of a second choice (savannah view) and also third and fourth choice - both at WL. I’m really hoping things work out for AKL - we’ve wanted to stay there for awhile. Anyone know if I can request Jambo over Kidani, or do I take what’s available? What about room requests?

I’m excited - but nervously so. David’s has reminded me that even on 4/7, they may need awhile to find the necessary points.

I just put in my request yesterday - 12 months out from our March 2020 trip. Since we’re staying 10 days, they can’t look for a booking until 4/7, but I figured this gives me my best shot. I did ask for the (longshot) value studios at AKL, but then did the option of a second choice (savannah view) and also third and fourth choice - both at WL. I’m really hoping things work out for AKL - we’ve wanted to stay there for awhile. Anyone know if I can request Jambo over Kidani, or do I take what’s available? What about room requests?

I’m excited - but nervously so. David’s has reminded me that even on 4/7, they may need awhile to find the necessary points.
Jambo and Kidani are separate booking categories. So, you’re either booked in a villa at a Jambo or one at Kidani. You cannot make a request once you’re booked.

Room location requests have to go thru the member. You can make your preferences known to the agency you used and they will relay them to the owner, who will contact Member Services to make a note on your reservation.

As an aside, I would put your chances of booking 10 nights in a Value studio at zero when using an agency. But if miracles happen, you cannot make any type of room request for Value Studios. DVC got them for a reason. They’re small and they have poor views. That’s why they require so few points.

Value studios are only in Jambo, so if you get one, that's where you will be.
Denise

Jambo and Kidani are separate booking categories. So, you’re either booked in a villa at a Jambo or one at Kidani. You cannot make a request once you’re booked.

Room location requests have to go thru the member. You can make your preferences known to the agency you used and they will relay them to the owner, who will contact Member Services to make a note on your reservation.

As an aside, I would put your chances of booking 10 nights in a Value studio at zero when using an agency. But if miracles happen, you cannot make any type of room request for Value Studios. DVC got them for a reason. They’re small and they have poor views. That’s why they require so few points.

Oh, I know that it is quite the longshot. But I also know that I have *no* chance of booking a Value if I don't ask, so there is that. My practical side had to try, though my Disney Fangirl side is hoping for the Savannah!

I also contacted the agency and let them know that we would prefer Jambo if they are both available.

I don't think anybody mentioned here, but make sure you understand (a) the cancellation policy - you might not be able to get any money back if you cancel or try to change your dates, and (b) the bed configuration in the room you are looking at. Most DVC rooms do not have two real, regular size beds unless you are looking at a 2-bedroom unit. In a studio or 1-bedroom, you will get 1 bed plus something else... could be sofa bed/pull-down bed which is smaller than a twin/chair bed. I think Old Key West has 2 beds in the studio, but that's the only one.

If you understand all that and can get a studio, it might be a deal compared to a regular room in the same hotel. A one-bedroom probably isn't as much of a deal.

I would add to this to understand that you will not get daily housekeeping in any DVC unit. If you're in a 1-bedroom or larger you will have a washer/dryer, so if you want clean towels daily you can wash your own. Outside of that, expect trash/towel service on the 4th and 7th days (someone fact-check me on this, I always forget the frequency.)

I would add to this to understand that you will not get daily housekeeping in any DVC unit. If you're in a 1-bedroom or larger you will have a washer/dryer, so if you want clean towels daily you can wash your own. Outside of that, expect trash/towel service on the 4th and 7th days (someone fact-check me on this, I always forget the frequency.)
Trash is now removed daily as a part of Disney’s security check.

For a 7-night stay, housekeeping will replace bath towels and give you more shampoo, body wash and conditioner if your villa doesn’t have dispensers and they will give you more coffee on Day#4. A full cleaning will not be done.

If your stay is longer than 7 nights, a full cleaning is done on Day#4 and a tidy up service is done on Day #8.

For people who live in the US and rented from David's. How did you pay for it? On his website it talks about credit card cross border fees. Is that the same as a foreign transactions fee?

I used a credit card. I don't remember foreign transaction fees but most of my cards don't charge them anyway.

We are planning on going next May for 9 nights. Do I have a (much) better shot at requesting a 9 night reservation or do separate 4 and 5 nights. If we cannot get the all 9 nights (in either form) we would be ok with either the 5 night or the 4 night and just do a split stay somewhere else. I am sure it is easier to get a shorter res, but was wondering if people usually rent out that many points (for 9 nights) at a time.

Last edited:
Not much else to add to what rockawaybeachgirl said but this year was the first time renting points. I feel you need to go into it flexible either with dates or location. I was unable to change dates so my ideal location was not available and I was shown other locations that would have a lower wait or was available for my dates.

It all worked out and was decently quick. I wanted a BWV but they are super hard to get so we switched to a BLT theme park view and room cost was 2200 total upfront 6 nights. If I booked this room online with Disney it would have been almost 5k. Added tickets and now it's all on MDE under my name and ready for us. We won't be using the bus or ddp so we're done dealing with the owners.

How far out did you try to book BWV? I’m shooting for next May and wondering how close to the 11 month window I need to be.

Is it ever possible to get BWV Studios?
I recently rented to a fried and was lucky enough to get BWC though a waitlist request at a busy time. So, yes it is possible. However, I would not be set on it as you never know. It depends on a lot of factors including the owner being willing to waitlist.

How far out did you try to book BWV? I’m shooting for next May and wondering how close to the 11 month window I need to be.

I got a BW studio in October (busy Food & Wine time) through David's a couple of years ago. I put in my request 12 months ahead to be at the top of the wait list when the 11 month date hit.

We are planning on going next May for 9 nights. Do I have a (much) better shot at requesting a 9 night reservation or do separate 4 and 5 nights. If we cannot get the all 9 nights (in either form) we would be ok with either the 5 night or the 4 night and just do a split stay somewhere else. I am sure it is easier to get a shorter res, but was wondering if people usually rent out that many points (for 9 nights) at a time.
May is not considered to be a high-demand time for DVC. Availability should not be a problem unless you are shooting for the more popular villas (AKV value Studios, AKV club level studios and BWV std. view studios).

I put in the request 2 weeks before the open window of 11months. So it was in day 1 just no people were renting for my days i guess.

We just got 10-night reservations at AKL for next March, but I had told the folks that I would be willing to do a split-stay if needed. I was only in the queu for 11 days before it came through. So I think you pick what you really want and try for that first, then split if you have to do so.

For people who live in the US and rented from David's. How did you pay for it? On his website it talks about credit card cross border fees. Is that the same as a foreign transactions fee?

I used the “credit” function for PayPal with the added benefit of having 6 interest-free months to pay it off. You do want to be able to pay it off by then to avoid high interest.

I recently rented to a fried and was lucky enough to get BWC though a waitlist request at a busy time. So, yes it is possible. However, I would not be set on it as you never know. It depends on a lot of factors including the owner being willing to waitlist.
But you aren't going to get a broker to waitlist your reservation. If you want to rent points, do it at 11 months out or earlier even than that if it is during Fall Frenzy or Run Disney time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter