How does renting DVC points work

khwags22

Earning My Ears
I’m new to this and was curious how one rents DVC points. When do Feb 2020 points become available to rent. Are specific points for specific resorts? Thanks all in advance.

I’m new to this and was curious how one rents DVC points. When do Feb 2020 points become available to rent. Are specific points for specific resorts? Thanks all in advance.

"Renting points' is a bit of a misnomer - you are essentially paying a DVC owner (directly or through an intermediary) to book a reservation for you.

Each contract that is owned by a DVC Member has a designated 'Home Resort". For me, that's Saratoga Springs. What that means is that I can book Saratoga - and ONLY saratoga - 11 months a head of time. So, I could book Feb 2020 in March 2019 for SSR. For all of the other resorts, the booking window is 7 months out. So, the answer to 'when' depends on the owner and the resort you want.

Whether or not you need the 11 month advantage will depend on the unit you want and the time of year. AKL concierge and value rooms at any time, certain room categories at Epcot resorts during Food and Wine, Wilderness Lodge at December, and a few other would require booking 11 months to the day (and still may not be available). Other times you may be fine with 7 months.

You pay a certain dollar per point - one of the major intermediaries charges between $13.50 and $14.50 per point needed. So, look up the points charts for the resort, time and room you want and multiply by that amount and that's the charge.

Note - if you 'rent points', the reservation is controlled by the DVC Member. So, if you want to add the Dining Plan or Magical Express, you have to do it through them. Also, cancellation terms are generally much more restrictive as there are consequences to the member if reservations are cancelled. Upfront non refundable payment is not unusual.

On the bright side, it can be a great deal!

You can find lots and lots of information on the DVC Forums here on the DIS. There is a lot to consider when renting DVC Points

Not much else to add to what rockawaybeachgirl said but this year was the first time renting points. I feel you need to go into it flexible either with dates or location. I was unable to change dates so my ideal location was not available and I was shown other locations that would have a lower wait or was available for my dates.

It all worked out and was decently quick. I wanted a BWV but they are super hard to get so we switched to a BLT theme park view and room cost was 2200 total upfront 6 nights. If I booked this room online with Disney it would have been almost 5k. Added tickets and now it's all on MDE under my name and ready for us. We won't be using the bus or ddp so we're done dealing with the owners.

You pay a certain dollar per point - one of the major intermediaries charges between $13.50 and $14.50 per point needed. So, look up the points charts for the resort, time and room you want and multiply by that amount and that's the charge.
Their rates have gone up. One of the major agencies now charges $17-$18 per point. Another one charges up to $20 per point for premium resorts reserved between 11 to 7 months before arrival.

We have almost exclusively rented points for at least 8 -10 years now I think, it's been GREAT, never have had a bad experience.
We started by renting from a private person, and used her for 3 or 4 trips, after that we started going thru David's Vacation Rentals. They've been great
to work with, and like I stated above, we've not had a single issue with any of our rentals. To date we've rented at Saratoga Springs, Old Key West, Boardwalk (couple of times), Beach Club (couple of times) and Wilderness. Our next rip we are renting at Bay Lake, and Saratoga again.
You do need to pay up front when booking, and there is no cancellation...well unless of course you've got some sorta travel insurance and meet the parameters of said insurance policy.

Whatever you do, never respond to a message about renting someone's points that you do not initiate. That's how the scammers get your money. There are some pretty good scammers out there, too. They are assuming the identity of real owners, providing you a copy of a reservation and then take your money. Find a broker who will match you up with an owner to make you a reservation or find someone on the Rent/Trade board right here on the DIS. Read all the sticky threads at the top of the page.

Is it ever possible to get BWV Studios?
Yes, but the Std.View studios are extremely difficult to get and the Boardwalk Views are very difficult. If you’re okay with pool/garden view, you should be able to rent one in all but the most in-demand times. However, with SW:GE opening in the fall, even January and February look like the Epcot resorts will be hot tickets.

Thanks! Maybe saving up for Poly is a better way to go - that seems to be a lot easier to book!

We have rented points six times with no issue. It allows you to stay onsite at a deluxe property for so much less. Its a painless procedure, just stick with a reputable person or company.

I don't think anybody mentioned here, but make sure you understand (a) the cancellation policy - you might not be able to get any money back if you cancel or try to change your dates, and (b) the bed configuration in the room you are looking at. Most DVC rooms do not have two real, regular size beds unless you are looking at a 2-bedroom unit. In a studio or 1-bedroom, you will get 1 bed plus something else... could be sofa bed/pull-down bed which is smaller than a twin/chair bed. I think Old Key West has 2 beds in the studio, but that's the only one.

If you understand all that and can get a studio, it might be a deal compared to a regular room in the same hotel. A one-bedroom probably isn't as much of a deal.

Are there any websites/resources that talks about all the DVC resorts, what room/suite options they have, how many points they go for, that kind of thing? I am wondering if it might be worth it to do this for a future trip, but I would like some more in depth information on even knowing which resort to try to get/what would fit our needs. I have peeped the points thread where DVC owners post what they have, but I need somewhere to start at the beginning. If anyone knows of anything, please pass it my way! TIA.

Are there any websites/resources that talks about all the DVC resorts, what room/suite options they have, how many points they go for, that kind of thing? I am wondering if it might be worth it to do this for a future trip, but I would like some more in depth information on even knowing which resort to try to get/what would fit our needs. I have peeped the points thread where DVC owners post what they have, but I need somewhere to start at the beginning. If anyone knows of anything, please pass it my way! TIA.
https://www.dvcrequest.com/default.asp

Renting from others (either private or through other entities) are much cheaper. I just quieted a cash room and it was well over $800 for a studio. Not sure if the MS got it wrong as I got quoted $500 last well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter