How do you plan if there is a possibility your trip would have to be delayed?

hopetoseedisney

Earning My Ears
My father has cancer, and it has spread, but they have removed all the growths in his body so far. However, his blood tests are still off, and we are not sure at this point which way things will go. We are planning our first trip to WDW in September 2003. I told my parents, and they are excited and want us to go. However, my mother mentioned that she and my dad would possibly like to go with us since it might be our last chance to do something like this all together. We have to wait to see what the doctors find over the next month or two before we can decide to go all together....so how do I handle making ressies and such??? Should I make them for the maximum people that might go, or should I try and wait until the last minute to make them??? I would need to make two room ressies, and then any character meals or other places we want to eat. We'd possibly fly down since there will be more of us....if we stay on property, do we HAVE to rent a vehicle if we are only doing WDW stuff??? Anyone have this type of situation??? Thanks.

First I would like to say, I am sorry about your Dad's condition, and I hope everything works out well for him.

I have been in a similar situation (being reluctant to make reservations due to concerns about having to postpone). Here is my opinion: I think you should make hotel ressies for the full number of people you anticipate. Most hotels will not charge you as long as you cancel at least 48 hrs. in advance (this may be different if you book through a travel agency). The same goes for PSs. Make them for the full number, you can always downsize later if need be. The toughest decision is in regards to airfare. Most airlines will charge you a penalty to reschedule your dates, and will not reimburse you if you cancel all together. Two exceptions to this that I know of are Southwest and Spirit. They will allow you to transfer the full amount of your tickets to future travel within one year. If either of these airlines is a possibility for you, I would seriously consider it. When you see a good airfare, grab it.

If you wait until the last minute you have little chance of finding good airfare, and may not be able to get the hotel ressies or PSs that you want. Once again, I hope it all turns out well.;)

With the new Fairytale Package I would definitely reserve the rooms for the most people that might be going. Disney allows cancellations I believe up to 5 days before arrival without penalty. If you are looking at the All-Stars especially....I have a gut feeling they very well may sell out with the new package.

Also sending prayers for your father. I would make those plans with every intention that your father will be able to go on the trip. Having something to look forward to is wonderful medication. I would book the room and make PS's for everyone. I am sorry that I know little about flights so can't help with that one. I would plan with your parents as though you have no doubts that they will get to go. Good luck and lots of Magic wishes comming your way.

Jordan's mom

I'm sorry about your dad...I'm sending my prayers and pixie dust yours and his way!

I agree with everyone.Make your plans with all that are planning on going.I always drive so I don't know about airfare but I know you can cancel rooms.Explain to CRO or wherever you book and they'll tell you how close to the date you must cancel to be okay money wise.

At that time of the year I don't think getting ps is a big worry for non character meals.We've done late lunches and early dinners at places at EPCOT and got in as a walk up.

If you're only doing Disney stuff there isn't any reason for you to have a car.There is transportation to and from everywhere on Disney property.

We're here to help if you have any more questions!

I am in your exact same situation. My FIL has lung cancer which has spread. He begins chemo next week.

We have a family trip booked (12 of us in all) including MIL and FIL for the first week of August. We have spoken to his doctors and they said assuming his treatments are going well and he is responding, etc. they will work the chemo around the trip.

We booked our air through group travel and have until 6/19 to cancel. We own DVC and have until early July to cancel without penalty on those points. So, we are taking a wait and see and hope for the best attitude.

If my in laws can't go, we may still go (assuming of course their reason is just that is is tired and run down from the treatments).

Hopefully, by mid June we will be a little more secure in our decision. He will have had 2 full rounds of chemo by then and they will have run tests to verify he is responding.

My only other suggestion besides wait and see .... can you go sooner? We talked about going sooner - even this month if we had to. But, his doctor feels August will not be a problem for him so we are waiting.

I have this dilemma every time we go as I have very unpredictable RA and live with the constant threat of a flare-up and the idea of having to cancel the trip and spend the time on the hospital instead. I get through it by purchasing trip insurance, that way I know that I won't be out huge sums of $$. You might want to look into this idea and see if it would provide some piece of mind for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter