How do you handle sleepovers

My son is on the spectrum, severe sleep apnea, severe crohns, and svt. Now we are unable to allow sleepovers because of his medical needs have progressed. Health wise he is unable to be away from me. However in the past he stayed with his aunt. I know that doesnt really count. However he never made it past 10pm before I was needing to pick him up. Maybe if you decide you can do it on a day where you can pick up early, or be prepared to pick him up late that night. Sorry I do not have better advice :( I would make sure and talk to the mom prior not with son around. I have learned that sometimes a new place he may do well without any restrictions.

My son is 7 and has ADHD and was recently diagnosed as on the autism spectrum as well. Tonight after his baseball game he was asked by a team mate to come over to spend the night. It really wasn't a good time for it..he needed a bath and I have to work tomorrow and I start really early so they would need to keep him until 5 tomorrow. So I said no, but this really caught me off guard...I hadn't really thought about sleepovers yet. My son has issues with behavior and while this kids mom has seen some (ie she has seen him meltdown before) I don't think she knows the extent. He also needs a whole slew of items (weighted blanket, regular blanket, baby blanket, special pillow, and stuffed animal) arranged just so to get to sleep. Im positive he is not at the point to go without these for a night. He also takes medicine 45 minutes before bed.

When we were talking about the possibility of sleeping over at a friends house he seemed very excited but I'm not sure he is ready. I think he would chicken out and meltdown before it was time to go to sleep. If your child has some extra needs how did you approach the issue? I'm thinking I need to sit down and have a real conversation with this mom before we give it a try...any other tips?

My son is on the spectrum, severe sleep apnea, severe crohns, and svt. Now we are unable to allow sleepovers because of his medical needs have progressed. Health wise he is unable to be away from me. However in the past he stayed with his aunt. I know that doesnt really count. However he never made it past 10pm before I was needing to pick him up. Maybe if you decide you can do it on a day where you can pick up early, or be prepared to pick him up late that night. Sorry I do not have better advice :( I would make sure and talk to the mom prior not with son around. I have learned that sometimes a new place he may do well without any restrictions.

This would be my advice. I know when I was a kid (without any special needs) I felt better because mom would only let me go (to anyones house besides my sisters but that barely counted) on a night where someone was home that could come pick me up if I needed it. I definitely liked knowing I had the option if I didn't want to stay that I could leave.

Hi There- My OS has medical issues. Before allowing sleep overs at friends we first made sure it went ok w/ family members and/or close friends. Do you know anyone that would take him for a night to see how it would work out? Would he have separation issues, etc.? That would be a good test. 7 is also pretty young for sleep overs so its ok to tell the other mom you would rather wait til he's a bit older and instead schedule a play date. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!