How do you gain weight? How did you learn to tolerate food you dislike?

TheDisneyDoll

DIS Veteran
Sorry for the long title! I can't be the only one who needs to gain weight around these parts :)

I have a genetic condition that doesn't allow my pancreas to produce the proper enzymes needed to absorb the nutrition and fat out of food. Though I do take supplements my body spends most of it's energy on trying to be alive so on an average day I lose weight instead of gain.

Weight gain is a really serious issue for me, I am roughly 25-30 pounds under weight which is dangerous for a number of reason.

I am looking for some reasonable ways to gain weight.

I know the first thought people have is to eat, and to eat foods like McDonalds (which i don't).

Because I also have lung issues I find it really difficult to consume dairy products, but I do have Calorie shakes that I manage on occasion, but foods like ice cream or things like that make it really difficult for me to breathe.

I was recently put on a medication that requires a minimum of 20 grams of fat to be taken with it twice a day (between 7-9am and 7-9pm). You wouldn't believe how difficult it is to find foods that have 20 grams of fat in them.
This has been a serious diet change for me, because I am chronically sick my appetite is often suppressed and I am used to eating 2 meals on average a day. It's really frustrating to mentally want to eat and know that you have to, but physically feel really sick.

I am just wondering if anyone here has any ideas that work for them?
I'm stuck living a high fat life in a low fat world lol

I have the opposite weight problem but I think gaining weight is probably just as hard as losing it. You are still having to overcome your body's natural tendencies!

Can you digest things like avocado or nuts? I love guacamole and it is full of very healthy fats. Maybe scrambled eggs or a cheese omelet with an extra yolk? Would whole milk yogurt be any easier than ice cream and the like? You could also try roasting vegetables and drizzling them with extra olive oil or a nut oil.

TheDisneyDoll - I unfortunately can't offer too much new info on your situation, but I'm fascinated by your post because my son has struggled for years to gain weight. At 20 yrs old, he is just going to visit a Dr for some evaluation this week. Your post has led me to read more about pancreas enzymes so that my son can ask about getting tested for those.

I wish you luck as you work thru this process.

Protein is your friend. Aim for upwards of 80 g a day assuming you are an average height female. Also in the fat realm, reach for olive oil, nut butters, avocado.

When you are trying to augment your palate, repetition and frequency are good. Try to set reasonable goals and have fun cooking. Making food social can be helpful for some but not all.

Also, light weight training while you do this will help increase your appetite and add healthy weight. Personally, I have NO appetite when I don't exercise. I don't have your condition, but I recovered from anorexia 20 years ago. I still will lose weight very quickly if I don't exercise properly/ enough.

Sorry you are going through all of this. It is not fun when food is the enemy and you just want to eat! I have allergies so I know this too.

Just a side note for you...I have asthma (born with it). If I drink dairy or ice-cream(the worst for me) I can barely breathe, as well. It is awful and people do not believe that is a real thing, that dairy is congesting. BUT and this is a good BUT! I bought a dairy cow and drink the milk raw and I have had NO PROBLEMS. This will probably cause a stir around here...b/c people seem to be so polarized anymore, but raw dairy is more digestible. Even raw milk ice-cream and cheese. No problems anymore for me.

You could also try making your own Kefir (you'll need to do research on that one), and the stuff at the store is not real Kefir. If it was real, the plastic bottles would expand too much and explode. That's how you know it isn't real. Well...lots of my friends have healed ALL kinds of health ailments making and drinking kefir everyday.

This may not help, but it may lead you in another direction that may help.

So you gain weight by eating more calories than you consume. Not all calories are equal in their benefits to your body. For a sedentary male the minimum requirement is 60 grams of protein a day and women right at 50 grams. To build muscle you need more protein. For your mixture of food when trying to gain you need to get roughly most of your calories in a 40/40/20 ratio (Protein/Carb/fat). You should not jump into the fastfood wagon when trying to put on healthy weight. Some things that are really good for you that can help are brown rice, lentils, fish of all kinds, nuts, and if you are so inclined chicken breasts and lean beef. Break your meals up to 5 or 6 times a day and eat smaller meals. This helps your body consume the protein better. Not knowing your stats i would suggest trying to get 2500 calories a day but again in healthy fun food with a mixture of 40/40/20.

TheDisneyDoll - I unfortunately can't offer too much new info on your situation, but I'm fascinated by your post because my son has struggled for years to gain weight. At 20 yrs old, he is just going to visit a Dr for some evaluation this week. Your post has led me to read more about pancreas enzymes so that my son can ask about getting tested for those.

I wish you luck as you work thru this process.
I actually have a genetic condition called Cystic Fibrosis. It is primarily a lung and digestive disease, but it's not uncommon for some strains to have side effects on one end more than the other. It was not screened at birth in the 90's (though it is now) if he has real problems with weight it could be a good thing to ask about. If you have a real concern about it demand a screening because many doctors will eye roll it off because it is such a fatal disease showing minimal side effects is a rarity but more and more adults are being diagnosed late in life now.

A concur with those suggesting a diet high in protein. I simply could not put on weight until I reached age 25. This mostly because of an insanely active life, but also because my body did not digest fats properly. I tried everything, but many of the things that helped friends wouldn't work for me for various reasons. I early learned that something that works for others might not apply to me.

My youngest son seems to have my same issues, but his doctor has had him doing 2 things from age 15 to help him - electrolyte drinks and protein shakes. They have helped him gain 25 pounds of muscle in the last year.

I don't have a sure fire answer for you - just advice. Stay positive and don't give up. Oh yeah, and healthy choices offer a better future than things like McDonalds.

My best friend has CF as well. Her doctor recommended Goat's milk for her. What has helped her gain weight since her lung transplant is lots of protein and exercise. She has walked 2 5Ks and hikes a lot. Building up muscle has helped her so much. I completely understand how hard it is. We lived together for nearly 3 years. She had to eat at least 3000 calories to stay at her weight. Since her surgery she has a gained a healthy 20 lbs and looks fantastic. Good luck!

That sounds really tough!
Have you tried Larabars before? They are natural and have decent fat and protein. I think the choc PB kind (my fave!) is 12g fat and 8g protein. They have a bunch of flavors - chocolate types and fruit types. They're not very big for the number of calories, so I like to have one after a long run when I really don't feel like eating but need to get something down. The other calorie/fat dense thing I like to eat is peanuts & raisins (with or without M&Ms mixed in).

I don't have any new advice beyond what other have said - avocado for healthy fats, nut butters, and protein. I hope this helps! :flower3:

I can only speak to your second question in the thread title. I am a fairly adventurous eater but there were three nutritious items that I just couldn't abide for most of my life: eggs, beans and grapefruit. I solved the grapefruit problem by halving them and putting them under the broiler. For beans, I didn't like the texture of the skins, so I started making pureed bean soups. This way, they made thick, high protein soups while I became adjusted to their taste. I also made black bean hummus with plenty of garlic and olive oil to spread on sandwiches or dip veggies in. Eggs I am still working on. I can eat scrambled with pleasure, but for any other style I have figured out it's the white I can't stand. So, I learned to poach yolks (excellent served on meat and then broken to add richness), make carbonara sauce with pasta water and yolks, and if I throw enough fresh jalapeno and chopped bacon in hardboiled egg yolks (and a bit of mayonnaise), it's quite tasty.

My sister is after me to start consuming more coconut oil. She puts it in her coffee instead of cream. Perhaps that is a way of getting a bit more fat in your diet without going dairy.

I can only speak to your second question in the thread title. I am a fairly adventurous eater but there were three nutritious items that I just couldn't abide for most of my life: eggs, beans and grapefruit. I solved the grapefruit problem by halving them and putting them under the broiler. For beans, I didn't like the texture of the skins, so I started making pureed bean soups. This way, they made thick, high protein soups while I became adjusted to their taste. I also made black bean hummus with plenty of garlic and olive oil to spread on sandwiches or dip veggies in. Eggs I am still working on. I can eat scrambled with pleasure, but for any other style I have figured out it's the white I can't stand. So, I learned to poach yolks (excellent served on meat and then broken to add richness), make carbonara sauce with pasta water and yolks, and if I throw enough fresh jalapeno and chopped bacon in hardboiled egg yolks (and a bit of mayonnaise), it's quite tasty.

My sister is after me to start consuming more coconut oil. She puts it in her coffee instead of cream. Perhaps that is a way of getting a bit more fat in your diet without going dairy.
I feel you on the three things, I can't stand the texture of beans or nuts. It's just weird to me, and avocados are not kind of icky (yes thats how i'm putting it). I have learned to tolerate eggs I just know i can only eat about 1.
For your egg problem though try finding ways to make things like custards and soufflés, they sound difficult but they're really easy. You can use fruits in them and if you make them yourself you control the amount of sugar too :) Raspberry souffles are my love! And the texture is very unegg like!

That sounds really tough!
Have you tried Larabars before? They are natural and have decent fat and protein. I think the choc PB kind (my fave!) is 12g fat and 8g protein. They have a bunch of flavors - chocolate types and fruit types. They're not very big for the number of calories, so I like to have one after a long run when I really don't feel like eating but need to get something down. The other calorie/fat dense thing I like to eat is peanuts & raisins (with or without M&Ms mixed in).
I think i've heard of them but I've not tried them. I do enjoy a cliff bar on occasion though :) i'll look into these I like things with fruit usually!

Good for you, TDD!

I bought a dairy cow and drink the milk raw and I have had NO PROBLEMS.

Obviously everyone should do full research for themselves, and hey, buying your own cow is a great way of knowing the health status of your cow, but I just wanted to validate your experience. :) I was raised by a mom who bought raw milk when she could afford it, then store-store milk when she couldn't. When I drink raw milk, my allergies (to everything) decrease and my reaction to the milk itself is nonexistent. When I drink normal-store milk, even organic milk, the allergies and the reactions are right back. (and I have the classic "allergic shiners", major undereye circles, when I eat pasteurized dairy) Even though humans don't naturally drink cow's milk, if we drink it closer to the state a baby cow would drink it, many of us just do better with it than with pasteurized. :)

Of course, not all states make it easy to get raw milk. I'm lucky to be in WA where it's not terribly difficult. We actually get raw milk (and fermented cabbage products) when we're sick, because we seem to get better quicker with it. (though we don't eat sauerkraut or kimchi WITH the raw milk LOL...ew)

Hi DisneyDoll! I've been reading some of your old posts after searching the board for posts about CF. I have CF, and am on Orkambi and the 20g of fat thing drives me nuts! It seems like it should be super fun having to eat fatty foods twice a day, but sometimes it's just a huge pain in the butt, esp when you don't feel good. I'm a super picky eater (was underweight as a child and my parents never made me eat any fruits or veggies, so I struggle to eat them now), which makes it hard too.

My go to when I really don't feel like eating and need to take my Orkambi is a spoonful of peanut butter. I can eat it pretty quickly and my doctor said that 12-15g should actually be fine, so that covers it. I carry a JIF snack size pb in my purse just in case I'm ever out and need to take my meds and don't feel like eating. I also drink raw milk (yay raw milk!), and love it. I can do regular milk and ice cream, but it does make me very mucus-y and I cough a lot. I don't have those problems at all with the raw milk. I think it tastes better too, so a big glass of that is my morning go-to. They also make raw milk cheese, which can be a quick and easy high fat item. It is hard to get in some states though, and should certainly be thoroughly researched, esp when you are immunocompromised.

Do you like nuts? I tend to crave salty snacks over sweet (of course!) and so I'll do cashews, pecans or pistachios as a snack a lot. I haven't struggled with my weight at all since I started daily azithromycin 10 years ago, although I am sure there will be a point in my life where I will again. But starting the Orkambi has made me start searching for those high fat snacks again, and it just sucks when you have no appetite.

I know this post is a few months old, so you may already be in a good rhythm now, but I mainly just wanted to say hi! It's always nice to see another CFer online.

Hi DisneyDoll! I've been reading some of your old posts after searching the board for posts about CF. I have CF, and am on Orkambi and the 20g of fat thing drives me nuts! It seems like it should be super fun having to eat fatty foods twice a day, but sometimes it's just a huge pain in the butt, esp when you don't feel good. I'm a super picky eater (was underweight as a child and my parents never made me eat any fruits or veggies, so I struggle to eat them now), which makes it hard too.

My go to when I really don't feel like eating and need to take my Orkambi is a spoonful of peanut butter. I can eat it pretty quickly and my doctor said that 12-15g should actually be fine, so that covers it. I carry a JIF snack size pb in my purse just in case I'm ever out and need to take my meds and don't feel like eating. I also drink raw milk (yay raw milk!), and love it. I can do regular milk and ice cream, but it does make me very mucus-y and I cough a lot. I don't have those problems at all with the raw milk. I think it tastes better too, so a big glass of that is my morning go-to. They also make raw milk cheese, which can be a quick and easy high fat item. It is hard to get in some states though, and should certainly be thoroughly researched, esp when you are immunocompromised.

Do you like nuts? I tend to crave salty snacks over sweet (of course!) and so I'll do cashews, pecans or pistachios as a snack a lot. I haven't struggled with my weight at all since I started daily azithromycin 10 years ago, although I am sure there will be a point in my life where I will again. But starting the Orkambi has made me start searching for those high fat snacks again, and it just sucks when you have no appetite.

I know this post is a few months old, so you may already be in a good rhythm now, but I mainly just wanted to say hi! It's always nice to see another CFer online.
I love running into CFers on here!!! I've only across a small few but it's always exciting to share!
I know your struggle with the Orkambi, the problem is finding fatty food as so difficult, everything now a days is low or no fat. I have found for the Orkambi i eat string cheese. I asked my doctor about raw milk before and he didn't think it would be the best idea for me, though he said it's something a lot of people do it just wasn't the best thing for me at this point in time. I have tried peanut butter but i find it incredibly difficult to eat, on occasion I do like my pretzels dipped in peanut butter. I haven't thought to get the Go packs! That would be brilliant for a snack at work! I will definitely pick some up in the near future :D

I never updated this thread from the past but since I've started orkambi i've gained like 15 lbs which is fantastic! I still need about 10 more to be in a healthy place. Just adding the two extra snacks a day with the Orkambi helped so much!

How have you tolerated the Orkambi? Do you feel it's helping you?

I just stumbled upon this thread and hope you're doing well! I have two friends who have kids that struggle to gain weight. They've gone the protein shake route as well. Some ideas on shakes...
Dairy isn't always my friend either, so I tend to stick with almond milk. Maybe that would help to mix it up protein powder wise? Make it with almond milk (mmm... chocolate almond milk) and you could even throw in a spoonful of peanut butter like a shake. You could also make protein powders into a fruit smoothie. If you use a sorbet base or just frozen fruit & some juice, it's dairy free.

I dunno if its up there anywhere but there are recipes for something called fat bombs. You might try that. It must be just as frustrating as it is for us that struggle to lose weight.

Dairy is not my friend either. I have varying degrees of reactions sometimes worse than others. I also have a sensitivity with gluten/wheat and fructose. It will be good for certain amounts but then times come when they all bother me so much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!