How do you call for a Minnie Van ride?

A polite, resounding, "no thank you". Count me as another Lyft/Uber hater. ;) So if we had to use the Lyft app to book a Minnie Van, it sure isn't happening for our family.

A Prius? That's even worse.

I didn't realize that the gift shops sell alcohol. My DH just says we will buy duty-free and jam it in our carry-on, so now I have solved the problem! :)
I understand why some won't use Lyft/Uber but why won't you even use the app to request the Disney Minnie Van?

Apparently you book thru the lyft app which will make it so easy....I'm a regular uber user at home and in wdw so not sure the extra money is worth the cute ride but glad its an option for many with kids still in car seats.

This blog has pictures of the car seats. Looks to be both are the same model, 5-point harnesses and looks to be one that can be installed either forward or rear-facing, though I can't tell if it's a model that can also be converted into a booster. Last I knew FL car seat requirements were more lax about boosters for school-age kids, so that may not be something they provide.

The car seats pictured are Graco 4ever car seats which can turn into booster seats, though according to Florida law, my 7 year old isn't required to be in one.

This car seat has the click to connect system so once the latch system is installed once and tightened to the right length it is really easy to reinstall. The only time it may take a little extra time is when switching a seat set up for rear facing to forward facing or vice versa.

Thanks, I could tell they are Graco but I'm far enough removed from carseats at this point that I didn't recognize (or try to research) the specific model pictured.

Because downloading the app would be accepting their terms of service, which I don't agree with. ;)
I would at least let Disney know why you will not be using their service. They should realize that there are people out there that feel this way. Maybe they'll switch to doing their own request service through MDE if they are made aware of an issue by enough guests

I'm all for Disney trying to monetize an area that other companies have capitalized on, but what a ridiculous ripoff. I honestly don't understand how this program can survive charging $20 per ride, when most Uber or Lyft trips cost half of that or even less. I get it: There are people out there who will always choose the Disney-owned option because it seems safe or seems easy or seems comfortable. That's there prerogative. I value my time and my money. Disney doesn't care much about either.

We used UberX+carseat twice on our last trip - ASSp to DS was $15.80 before tip and Contemporary to CBR was $17.60 before tip. So the price is comparable for us. However for people who don't need the XL option, $20 is high. I do feel the carseat issue is a little safer with Disney - training CMs how to install them is very important. Plus, I'm assuming for lawsuit reasons Disney would pull and toss any carseat involved in an accident like you are supposed to do. (Not saying an Uber driver wouldn't of course. Just that Disney would have more control over it than Uber) I'm excited about this, it's definitely a nice alternative.

Last edited:
I'm all for Disney trying to monetize an area that other companies have capitalized on, but what a ridiculous ripoff. I honestly don't understand how this program can survive charging $20 per ride, when most Uber or Lyft trips cost half of that or even less. I get it: There are people out there who will always choose the Disney-owned option because it seems safe or seems easy or seems comfortable. That's there prerogative. I value my time and my money. Disney doesn't care much about either.
Sorry but $20 is not far out of line. Not for a Van size vehicle with 2 car seats, if you consider tip built in
Just for grins I've pulled up our past trip costs, from our trip in late May through early June. We don't use Plus often so I don't have many trips to compare it to, not on property. All our trips with Plus are to the airport, which isn't a fair comparison.
Our rides from CBR to AK avg $18 which includes a $5 tip
CBR to Epcot was $12, also with $5 tip.
We tip high because we feel the drivers deserve it and know they are not paid a lot of the portion of the ride fare
So all of these are for 4 seat vehicles. The next level of service up is more expensive by a few dollars. By the time you consider tip is included and the next level of service, and 2 car seats I don't think $20 is inflated too much. $2, $3 over what you'd pay Lyft or Uber I'd guess, depending on where you go

Now, we wouldn't use it because we wouldn't need the bigger vehicle and/or the car seat. But for those that do, $20 is not much more than they'd pay to use the same service with Uber. (Lyft isn't an option as they don't have car seats)

Last edited:
Because downloading the app would be accepting their terms of service, which I don't agree with. ;)
Be sure to mention this when you write to Disney. Be specific about what it is in the T&C you won't agree to so that they know what is preventing people from using their new service.

Hey, someone has to pay for the custom paint job. :p

All I know is if the program goes under, I need to know where I can buy one of the surplus vans. ;)

I would at least let Disney know why you will not be using their service. They should realize that there are people out there that feel this way. Maybe they'll switch to doing their own request service through MDE if they are made aware of an issue by enough guests
Yeah - maybe if they haven't MDE-ized the service by the time we go again. I cannot see why they wouldn't.

Are you willing to share what it is about their terms of service that you don't like?

What do you find objectionable?

I have a problem with ANY business model that looks at its competition, and thinks, "I have a way to get around regulations and laws to beat my competition!"

Bylaws and heavily-scrutinized regulations and policies have been developed for the livery and transportation industry for well over 100 years. There is no reason for Lyft or Uber to exist, other than to flout the regulations and laws that taxi drivers have had to hold themselves accountable to, for many, many decades!

Let's see... a taxi guaranteeds your ride/driver has:
  • criminal records and background checks verified through actual police and federal databases. if the driver works with vulnerable persons, there are more certificates available!
  • chronic Vehicle Safety inspections, often daily
  • 24/7 audio-visual recording of BOTH customer and driver
  • liability training as to what they CAN and CANNOT do (can't carry seniors to their doorstep, but can wait for a passenger with the fare clock running)
  • an actual complaint and conflict resolution policy - you report the taxi number, the manager pulls up the footage, you discuss.
  • a standard taxi rate that is NOT competitive - it's equitable to all the other drivers also on the road. Everybody charges what everybody else charges - so no "Uber Power Hours" or whatever that is when Uber Home Office decides that rates are cheaper or whatever.

Non-regulated taxi services have what going for them, exactly? YMMV!

I did the online chat with Disney and the cast member didn't know what I was talking about. Either he was playing dumb or he really didn't know what I this was and is serious.

I also wrote to Disney about using the My Disney Experience app to call the van for rides. Coming from a LE family/field, I do not support Uber/Lyft practices and won't download the app either to use the service. I stated that in to email to Disney today. If Disney responds, I'll let you know.

The problem I see with adding this to the MDE app is, well, programming. IT can't get the existing stuff to work satisfactorily. Do you trust them to create their own problem-free app for the Minnie Vans?

I did the online chat with Disney and the cast member didn't know what I was talking about. Either he was playing dumb or he really didn't know what I this was and is serious.

I also wrote to Disney about using the My Disney Experience app to call the van for rides. Coming from a LE family/field, I do not support Uber/Lyft practices and won't download the app either to use the service. I stated that in to email to Disney today. If Disney responds, I'll let you know.
Considering it's still testing I'm not at all surprised a phone support member didn't know what it was. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't know what it was even after it starts.

CM that work at the parks can't even get what time buses start running right.

Let's see... a taxi guaranteeds your ride/driver has:
  • criminal records and background checks verified through actual police and federal databases. if the driver works with vulnerable persons, there are more certificates available!
Uber drivers each receive the following background checks:
  • Local criminal history and warrant checks through the appropriate local law enforcement agency (in Florida, those local records are maintained by the county Sheriff)
  • State of Florida criminal history and warrant checks through the Florida Department of Law Enforcement
  • Federal (FBI) criminal history and warrant check
  • Department of Homeland Security watch list check
  • State and Federal sexual offender list checks
  • Drivers license check, including driving history
  • Confirmation of vehicle registration
  • Verification of insurance coverage
  • 19-point vehicle inspection by an ACE-certified mechanic
Lyft has a similar system. It's a requirement of Florida law now, but was in use by both companies since they began operating in Florida several years ago.

Both companies also provide $1 million liability insurance coverage when riders are in the vehicle. Mears, the WDW taxi company, provides no insurance because they are self-insured and meet local requirements for self-insuring.

I don't believe Orlando regulations require taxi's to use audio/video recording. I know it's not used by Miami taxis. Many Uber/Lyft drivers do use A/V recording at their own expense.

Rideshare complaint resolution policies are clearly spelled out in the TOS. Taxi policies vary widely from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Either way, you complain and the company decides what, if anything, they are going to do about it. If you don't like it, you seek legal recourse.

You're right, taxi fares are definitely NOT competitive. They are set and maintained by a pay-for-play system which enriches politicians and taxi company owners (NOT drivers). The number of taxis is kept small (Miami, with a population of 3 million, has less than 2,000 taxi medallions) to prohibit competition. That's good for the taxi company owners; not so much for the consumer.

That's why taxi fares are 2-3 x Uber/Lyft fares in Orlando -- and it's also why the Florida Legislature took regulation of rideshares away from corrupt local politicians.

Rideshare companies use dynamic pricing, and have since the inception of ridesharing. Dynamic pricing keeps regular pricing low (1/3 Orlando taxi rates in most cases) and increases pricing when demand is higher. Disney, incidentally, also used dynamic pricing, as do all airlines and many many other businesses.

Except for large events, surges (Uber) and PrimeTime (Lyft) are rare -- and of course, the consumer has the option of not using the service. That's why I always recommend that people have both Uber and Lyft apps on their phone and compare prices.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter