How do you buy and cool your alcohol for a Disney cruise?

If you drink wine in your room, what are you using as glasses? Are you just bringing your own plastic cups?

If you drink wine in your room, what are you using as glasses? Are you just bringing your own plastic cups?

There will be some glasses(not wine goblets) in your cabin, like in a hotel room. You can ask for more as needed. I think they are glass and not plastic, but don't remember.

There will be some glasses(not wine goblets) in your cabin, like in a hotel room. You can ask for more as needed. I think they are glass and not plastic, but don't remember.

Unless things have changed, you can ask your stateroom host for wine glasses - and an opener if you need one.

If you are at all considering drinking it the first night, I would highly recommend putting it on ice. Those refrigerators just do not cool very quickly, but they do a fine job of keeping it cool.

Out of interest - how would Disney know what’s in my checked bag?

Surely if locked, even if they x rayed they wouldn’t break the lock to get in?

Just like TSA could and would, if something is suspicious they most certainly would open the lock.

But they’re not TSA?? Private security contractors are used

They will either remove it and let you know something has been confiscated. Or that bag will not be delivered and you will be called down to retrieve the bag and remove the item in question. DCL does confiscate items that aren't allowed. Guests can then pick up said item(s) at debarkation.

Enjoy your cruise!

But they’re not TSA?? Private security contractors are used

Even private companies have every right to inspect bags brought aboard. You'll also go through security at your embarkation point AND at every port when you re-board the ship. Ditto they have every right to inspect your cabin.

Don't like it, don't cruise. Every line x-rays luggage and will open to remove items if necessary.

https://traveltips.usatoday.com/cruiseline-security-procedures-111374.html

They will either remove it and let you know something has been confiscated. Or that bag will not be delivered and you will be called down to retrieve the bag and remove the item in question. DCL does confiscate items that aren't allowed. Guests can then pick up said item(s) at debarkation.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the info - very informative :)

If purchased at home, it will have to go in your checked luggage due to the 3-1-1 rule for liquids through TSA. However, DCL requires that it be in your carry-on to board the ship.

If you want to buy in FL after arriving, and since you are staying at the airport Hyatt, I believe some people have taken a taxi/uber to the nearest ABC liquor store. Or I think I've read ABC will deliver? Otherwise, there isn't much options since you are taking the DCL transfers. If you take private transfers, you can often schedule a stop (grocery or liquor store or wherever you choose) on the way to port. Just remember to carry it onboard.

Enjoy your cruise!
The ABC liquor is about 4 miles north of the airport but it will take you 15 min probably to get there depending on the time of day. There is a Walmart Neighborhood market a little closer and its also on Semoran.

The DCL alcohol policy from their website:

Q.
Are Guests allowed to bring alcoholic beverages on board the ship?

A.
Disney Cruise Line Guests 21 years and older may bring a maximum of 2 bottles of unopened wine or champagne (no larger than 750 ml) or 6 beers (no larger than 12 ounces) on board at the beginning of the voyage and at each port of call. These beverages must be packed in carry-on (not checked) bags or luggage.

Guests wishing to consume wine or champagne that they have brought on board in one of the dining rooms will be charged a corking fee of $25.00 per bottle.

Please note:

• Any alcohol packed in checked luggage will be removed and stored until the end of the cruise.
  • All alcohol brought onboard must be in an original unopened container. Partially used bottles and those in which the seal has been broken will be destroyed and no compensation will be offered.
  • Any wine or champagne in excess of 2 bottles or beer in excess of 6 beers will be stored until the end of the cruise.
  • Bringing liquors and spirits (including powdered alcohol) on board is prohibited. These items will be stored until the end of the cruise.
  • Guest MUST retrieve any stored alcohol at the end of the cruise. Items not retrieved will be destroyed and no compensation will be offered.
  • Alcohol brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area.

Another thought - can't you just buy alcohol at the airport? Airports often have liquor stores/duty-frees. Would probably be a bit more expensive than the grocery store but maybe less hassle.

Another thought - can't you just buy alcohol at the airport? Airports often have liquor stores/duty-frees. Would probably be a bit more expensive than the grocery store but maybe less hassle.

Duty Free only works for alcohol if you are flying internationally. I have never seen wine in there anyway.

Duty Free only works for alcohol if you are flying internationally. I have never seen wine in there anyway.
I have seen wine in several airports - local wine - Rhode Island and Long Island both have it for purchase after security. (no duty -free stores in either airport)
Not helpful for Disney ports, however

Unless things have changed, you can ask your stateroom host for wine glasses - and an opener if you need one.

You can also just ask the bartender at an interior bar like Promenade lounge on the fantasy...they were happy to provide wine glasses for our stateroom use...doesn't require prior planning

You can also just ask the bartender at an interior bar like Promenade lounge on the fantasy...they were happy to provide wine glasses for our stateroom use...doesn't require prior planning

Thanks for this. I knew you could on other ships - was not sure about Disney.

We wanted champagne for sail-away verandah celebrations with the cheese platter. I brought a nice bottle with me in my checked suitcase flying into Orlando the night before. Stayed at a Hampton Inn so I put the champagne in the fridge in our room (still substantially wrapped in towels and bags to prevent breakage). The next day we carried the champagne in our carry-on and put it in the fridge right when we got into the room about 1 pm. After the lifeboat drill we returned to the cabin and celebrated with chilled champagne. I will say that this was in December so the ambient temperature while in our carry-on bag was not summer 90s.

That's why we take Happy Limo from the airport/hotel. They will come at an assigned time and make a grocery stop on the way where we get a six pack of beer per adult. We take an extra carryon to put it in so we can wheel around until the rooms are ready. Happy Limo has a coupon on MouseSavers and service is great. The price is just a little more for transport for 3 people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter