How do YOU ask for Disney dollars?

iNTeNSeBLue98

DIS Veteran
In response the replies I've gotten on my I need Savings Ideas Thread ...

How do you go about asking family and/or friends to give a gift of Disney Dollars? Just curious, because I don't think our families are as crazy about Disney as we are...you know, they just don't get It .:D

If you don't think your family will respond to a request for Disney Dollars, how about a gift certificate from the Disney Store? You can then use the certificate to purchase Disney Dollars for yourself.

I like the answer of gift certificates to Disney store. Noone wanted to give son Disney dollars for his birthday however I'll be asking for gift certificates to Disney store for Christmas.

Just a quick note:
While not all stores may inforce this-- it is against store policy to allow the purchase of Disney Dollars with gift certs and vice versa... doubt I could explain it.... but I was just shown this and read it for myself about 1 week ago-- I've been there over 4 yrs and never knew this! :rolleyes:

Wow! I had no idea you couldn't purchase Disney Dollars with a gift certificate at some stores. That really doesn't make much sense. Maybe someone in the know could explain the logic behind this one?

It's because Disney Dollars and TDS Gift Certificates are not considered store merchandise. TDS has a weird accounting system, and both Disney Dollars and Gift Certificates are not considered "earned" until redeemed. Because both are not considered store merchandise (TDS views it as selling money), one can not be exchanged for the other. Hope this makes sense?

thanks Debi!
I sort of knew all that, but couldn't have explained it as well as you did! :)
Kathi

I didn't realize that the D stores had gift certificates. I assumed that Disney Dollars were pretty much the same thing so...I personally would think that Disney Dollars would be just as acceptable to ask for as asking for a GC for the Disney Store.

When DD turned 7 in June, family asked what they could get her for her birthday and I just told them to get her Disney Dollars in whatever amount they would like to give her since we would be going to WDW in August. She didn't need any clothes and we have enough toys, so she could use the Disney Dollars to buy something she really liked at the parks this summer. She ended up with over $30 is Disney Dollars. Between birthday money, and earning disney dollars for extra chores, that's her spending money. She knows that that is all the money she will have to spend and that she is spending her own money for souveniers. I've spent enough on the flights, tickets, hotel, etc. We leave in 8 days!!!

I have written on the inside of the invites to my children's b-day partys that i am surprising the kids with a trip to disney in dec and not to buy gifts but to purchase Disney dollars instead so when we go in december the kids will have spending $$.. I know my family well so
it won't be a problem at all.

But thus far, have been ignored. I guess since the gift givers cant "see" what these DD are buying, they would rather get my kids a toy that they can enjoy at the moment. It frustrates me, as we have oodles and caboodles of toys, but in a sense I can understand why they do it. But I am grateful that my kids have people who care for them enough to give them gifts.

when people asked me what to get DD for her birthday I also stated disney dollars and they all got her disney items... and only 5 in dollars! oh well at least it was disney!

It depends on who I'm dealing with...sometimes my friends will just ask me what I want. They know I love Disney, but they didn't know about Disney Dollars until I explained it to them. For a more subtle "hint" you could approach the person and just kind of say (and if you have a Disney Dollar to show, that's great too), "hey, have you seen these? They're great!" and explain what Disney Dollars are. I actually tell people (not because I'm hinting, but just to inform them) that I use them to save for Disney trips so that I'm not tempted to spend actual cash beforehand.

IT may be tacky but you could ask for cash or a check. Then you could go to TDS and buy
the Disney Dollars yourself.

Larry:pinkbounc :pinkbounc

i hate to rain on the parade, but the fact is that it's never actually POLITE to request a specific gift. really, even registering for gifts is kind of a tacky habit we've developed. however, if someone ASKS you what they can buy, you can certainly come right out & say, "The very best gift you could give her/him/it would be DD so she/he/it can pick out a special souvenir on our trip." there's nothing wrong w/ THAT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter