How do we know if we'll get in?

ToyStory3

DIS Veteran
We are going to Florida for a beach vacation in about a month. We want to take one day and go to Universal parks. I'm not sure if we're better off getting tickets now or waiting. If we get them now does that reserve us a spot in the parks? Or is it possible we'll be turned away? Not sure how it's working now with limiting how many can get into the parks. Will we be guaranteed to get in if we stay one night at a Universal hotel? Thanks for any help or info you can provide!

Do you think it's worth staying at a premiere hotel to get the EPs or are those not necessary with the lower crowds? We were thinking of staying at RPR because we really like the EPs but I wouldn't mind trying one of the others if it doesn't really add any value right now. Thanks for any opinions!

Do you think it's worth staying at a premiere hotel to get the EPs or are those not necessary with the lower crowds? We were thinking of staying at RPR because we really like the EPs but I wouldn't mind trying one of the others if it doesn't really add any value right now. Thanks for any opinions!

I am not sure yet. It looked like during the previews, that the virtual queue passes were pretty much gone by lunch time. You won't have the problem with EP. However, Friday was better from what I have read. Apparently, everyone in your party can get a virtual queue pass for everyone in your party. So, a group of 8 can get 8 passes for an attraction. The app doesn't seem to require tickets to be linked for the whole party. VQ passes are issued at park opening. Any hotel guest will have early entry, so you could do that and see how many passes you could get once the park opens. Each person can have 2 outstanding at a time. If you get there early, it probably won't be bad. However, it's still kind of wait and see. Who knows what attendance will be like as the summer continues. You could always book a room; they have a very liberal cancellation policy and you only have to pay the deposit for room-only reservations.

I'd say book both and see what crowds are like close to your visit. If crowds are picking up, cancel the value booking. If crowds remain light, cancel the RPR booking.

I’m staying onsite at the end of July (Cabana Bay) I know that guarantees us entry but do we still have reserve our days or is it automatic. Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the replies! So are they keeping crowds light for social distancing or are they letting anyone in who shows up?

Thanks everyone for the replies! So are they keeping crowds light for social distancing or are they letting anyone in who shows up?

Currently limiting capacity, but I haven't heard of anyone that has not been let in due to capacity. That could change though, or capacities could be increased.

I wish there was something more official so we can plan ahead of time. I'm hesitant to purchase tickets if we don't know for sure that we'll get in. And, if I don't buy tickets again of time I'm nervous that it could work against me if they use that as a factor in limiting capacity - i.e. if you don't already have a ticket you can't get one now.

It would be nice if Universal would release their daily attendance numbers as well as the capacity limits they are implementing so people can see just how close they are to "full." But I don't think USO or Disney will provide that info.

It would be nice if Universal would release their daily attendance numbers as well as the capacity limits they are implementing so people can see just how close they are to "full." But I don't think USO or Disney will provide that info.
Am I imagining it or did it not get released somewhere it was 30%? Apologies if I have totally dreamt it 😬

On another board I read, some people in the know have stated the following (take it with a grain of salt):

USF Capacity during normal times is 50k people
Currently they are capping it at ~30% which is ~15k capacity
Management had been expecting ~7k per day during the opening week, but they've only been hitting ~3.5k per day

Again, take it with a grain of salt, but the insiders on the other board I read have been right most of the time with things they post.

Edit: Another person on that board mentioned that they checked in to Sapphire Falls yesterday, and were told that the resort was only 12% sold (they also happened to get upgraded to a family suite for free).

If your trip is relatively soon, you're probably fine without the EP. I personally love Cabana Bay because it has the best water features, and I think it's the most fun theme. Hagrids, which is the hottest ride in the park, doesn't even have EP, so as long as you're there at opening, you have as much of a shot at getting in the VQ as anyone else.

If your trip is relatively soon, you're probably fine without the EP. I personally love Cabana Bay because it has the best water features, and I think it's the most fun theme. Hagrids, which is the hottest ride in the park, doesn't even have EP, so as long as you're there at opening, you have as much of a shot at getting in the VQ as anyone else.

To note, several people have reported that you can get VQs (for Hagrids and other rides if they are using it) while at your hotel. Don't need to be precisely in the park to get your VQ reservation.

To note, several people have reported that you can get VQs (for Hagrids and other rides if they are using it) while at your hotel. Don't need to be precisely in the park to get your VQ reservation.

But do you need to have "checked in" to the park? I know with ROTR at Disney, once you scanned in, the system could see you as "there" and then you could try for your VQ spot at breakfast somewhere else. I saw someone say they scored Hagrids for the evening from the resort during the afternoon, but I made the assumption that the family visited the park earlier. Perhaps I was wrong.

The app is NOT connected to your tickets, so you do not need to be checked in at the park to get Hagrid’s VL.

The app is NOT connected to your tickets, so you do not need to be checked in at the park to get Hagrid’s VL.
Can I ask then I'd tickets aren't connected to the app, can I get a virtual queue for 2 people on my phone and my partner do the same on his phone for another rode for the both of us?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter