How do people my age afford to go to Disney so much?!

How I've traveled anywhere in general (when I've been financially stable enough to do so....student loans are miserable):

I price out airfare using carriers one flying down and another for return; sometimes this will save you money over a RT on one carrier.

For gifts during holidays and birthday, anyone who asks me what do I want, I always ask for something towards my travel. Anyone who knows me understands that travel is my hobby (albeit, an expensive one).

I am willing to stay at one of the good neighbor hotels vs. Disney onsite hotels if there is enough of a savings.

When I traveled to Disney with friends just out of high school, we made it a point to bring food into the park to save a bit on food.

I do have a credit card that I use points for flights, but that has only been in the past three years.

Did I travel at my lowest financial point? Unless it was a gift, no. Only you know how your personal financial situation to understand how you can fit travel to Disney into it.

Ah, I remember my twenties and Disney trips. I was hourly, not salary, and I volunteered for every overtime gig the company had. Twice a year audit needs volunteers, I’m there. Special project requiring after hours work, I’m there. Between overtime and holiday bonus I could usually swing a couple week long trips and a long weekend or two each year. I also was very persistent in searching out discounts (the internet wasn’t quite a thing yet). Although it’s easier now to search out the discounts, I still adopt the same philosophy. If it takes OT or a second job, then that’s what I will do. One thing I won’t do is go into debt for it. It does help that the farthest I have lived from WDW since turning 18 is 2 1/2 hours, so driving was always an option.

You may not be able to do two weeks at the Grand Floridian with all the upsales and upgrades, but get on a formal budget and look for ways to curtail your day to day spending and I am sure a stay at a value resort is totally doable. I have stayed at both and actually prefer the value resort.

It's not a factor of age, there are people younger who make more than you and older who make less. The opposite is true as well. The thing is you never know what people's personal financial situations are.

DH & I are in our early thirties. For us, traveling is very important so we treat it as just another thing to budget for. We pay for a mortgage, car payment, utilities, retirement, groceries, so we just add travel to that list.

People around us ask all the time how we go on vacation so often (it's really like twice a year) and how we can afford it. Because we make it a priority.

Bottom line: if you're financially stable you can choose to travel. Many people just choose to spend their money on other things and then wonder why they "can't." It might not be a luxury beach vacation to Fiji, but you'd be surprised at what you can experience on any budget.

I'm the same as others that I kind of prioritize traveling. I don't take huge fancy out of the country trips, but i do usually take around 4 vacations a year. One or two of those are usually to visit family and do something near them, so that saves on lodging/eating out. We go to the beach once a year and do it in the fall when it's much cheaper than summer. We will go someplace not too far from home for a couple nights here and there too, so not a week long trip. I don't get alot of vacation time, but i work extra shifts all the time (at least 1 mostly 2 a week) so i feel that makes up for taking the time off unpaid.

I can afford this by the little things I mentioned above keeping things cheaper, and I don't really do anything for myself while at home. I have a bar night once a week and maybe go out to eat one a week. Other than that I spend very little money on myself (other than needs). As a matter of fact most of my clothes are over 10 years old.

I had a coworker say to me once how it must be nice to be able to afford to go on vacation all the time. I told her to stop eating out so much (she always talked about going out, very rarely cooking), and she was taken aback. When we figured out how much her family of 4 went out to eat she was shocked at how much money she could save. However she said shed rather eat out than vacation, which is fine. Everyone wants to spend their money on something, and I don't judge how people do it (but i do feel like i get judged for going on vacation so often).

This year's trip is courtesy of a stock grant I decided to sell. Otherwise, no trip since I have two kids in college. If you want to live a carefree life where you can do whatever you want and go wherever you want then decide to be child-free. I turn 50 this year, and I am fairly convinced that I would be within a couple of years of retiring if I had not raised 3 kids. Love my kids but I will be working until I am 70 because of my choice.

My fiancée and I went last September courtesy of a work conference. I used miles for her flight and work picked up the room tab and my meals.

I took my son 2 years ago in credit card points.

my family is expanding from 2 to 5 after my wedding in May and my fiancée and I want to take the kids every few years. We live close enough to drive and will be renting DVC points for the bigger rooms. I make enough money for our family to live on so her salary will be just for paying off the mortgage faster, investing, and spending on what we like.

I have a lot of banked time off from work, and I make enough where I can afford to take small 3 day Disney trips. (I also live in Florida, so keep that in mind)
Another way that helps for me temporarily is that I just opened 2 credit cards with 0 APR for well over a year, so I can charge these small trips and pay them off over the course of two months with no interest. I apply cash back bonuses to my balance on each.
Now, what I have found with some IG accounts of Disney fans is they will have a bunch of pics and slowly release them to their feed to make it seem like they are there longer than they actually are. I've done this myself where I post a food pic for one meal (let's say lunch) , then the next day I'll post a dinner pic from the same day I ate lunch. I'll just milk it that way and tag my location as Disney World. I'll do it with room pics, resort pics, food pics, pin pics.
I'll only be at Disney for 3 days but I can stretch these pics out over 2 weeks or more. I just figured that's "how it is" in the Disney Insta community. (I'm also not insta famous. Or insta popular)

It's "simple" money management. First off, don't be deceived by other people's lifestyles. There are oodles of people who go to WDW, including many who participate within these forums, who have no business being there: people collecting government assistance, people who spend their entire savings on Disney vacations, and of course, people heavy in debt and spending on credit. Surveys show that 55% of Americans, and nearly two-thirds of Millennials, lack sufficient savings to cover a $1000 emergency. And more than half of those aged 55 and over have absolutely no savings set aside for retirement (including 401K). Yet isn't it amazing that every person who spends lavishly at Disney tries to convince you that it's within their means?

I worked for years as a volunteer financial counselor (and yes, I have the qualifications) for a local nonprofit. I know how ignorant people are with their money, and how they convince themselves that they are entitled to every luxury they desire. What I admire most about Disney, is its ability to convince people to part with their money. There's oodles of people within this forum who don't think twice about dropping $25K at Disney every few years, and wouldn't spend less because that one-week vacation just isn't magical. Yet, for some reason, they would never consider driving a Porsche when all they can afford is a Honda... even though for what they're paying for Disney, they could get many years of magic, and not just days, out of that Porsche. But do you know what else is magical? Having sufficient savings to pay for a new furnace when the incumbent one fails, or having sufficient savings to pay for their daughter's braces or having a sufficient savings to help their son out with college. But of course, one week at Disney in a concierge floor at the Polynesian Resort, stuffing themselves silly on the dining plan while riding It's A Small World for the 100th time seems to prevail. Sorry, honey, you'll have to fix those crooked teeth yourself! And son, I'm sorry that you'll be more focused on repaying tens of thousands in student debt when you graduate college than a job, but hey, we didn't have the money!

That said, you can easily enjoy many vacations (that you can afford) at WDW - again, it's all about money management. When we were in high school and college, my (slightly) older brother and I worked the same job. I was the first person to ask if there were any extra shifts I could pick-up. He was the first person to volunteer to give his up. Later, we met up with our then-girlfriends at a popular chain steakhouse My girlfriend and I each ordered the Monday special -- an 8 oz. steak with a salad, side, and brew for $10; we paid about $30 (w/tax and tip) for our meals He and his girlfriend started with onion rings, then each ordered the surf & turf and washed it down with a few beverages. They paid over $100 for their meal, much of it left behind (they HATE the idea of re-heated food). I didn't get a flat screen TV until 2012, when the price on a 40" dropped below $300. We've upgraded our main TV, but we still use that one in one of the bedrooms. My brother bought his first flat screen TV in the early 2000s, chucking out a few grand. He's spent tens of thousands since upgrading his set - he tells me that my 2012 is so bad, he can't stand to watch it (while we don't notice a difference). Last week, my brother told me that his family cut the cord on cable, after years of spending hundreds of dollars per month for the best package. My family has long used "bunny ears" to watch OTA TV and was an early adapter of Netflix -- beyond that, we've never paid for subscription TV.

My niece loves strawberries, and last month my sister-in-law showed me the beautiful strawberries she purchased from Whole Foods for $5.99 (per lb.) My family purchased the exact same strawberries from a traditional supermarket for .99 (per lb.) Later, we met-up at Starbucks. This is an occasional treat for my family -- we prefer to make our own drinks at home, but we do enjoy an occasional treat at Starbucks and on this day they had all drinks BOGO - plus, we purchased a gift card for $10 on Groupon. My sister-in-law reminded me that they go to Starbucks "all the time."

Obviously a boring narrative, but you get the idea. Your goal should be to stretch your dollars, and pick-and-choose your luxuries.

When I was a kid growing up in the '80s and '90s, my parents took us to WDW twice per year. Typically, my parents would make a 17-hour drive (from the Midwest), purchase annual passes (which obviously cost a lot less then, even adjusted for inflation) and stretch them across three trips (one year, when money was tight, my parents bumped our vacation to the spring, taking us out of school; we were then able to use our annual passes for the fourth trip, and because it was off-peak, the rate at the Disney Institute was only $59/night). We always stayed on-site, generally at a Moderate resort (once they were built), which meant that my brother and I could come and go as we please. My parents would stock up on groceries, and prepare many meals within the hotel room, typically using a crock pot and electric skillet. These meals were more elaborate, more caloric and more costly than what was cooked at home, so it was still a treat. For example, she bought a Mickey Mouse waffle maker that we used at least twice on multiple trips, as the centerpiece for a waffle bar. And she supplemented many meals with treats purchased from from either Fort Wilderness (they use to sell a lot of low-cost deli salads and baked goods) and the food courts (lots of low-cost treats at the Moderate and Value resorts in the 1990s... especially the All-Stars when it first opened).

In later years, we always had a pizza night (either delivered or purchased from the food court) and at least once during our trip, we went out to eat a Disney restaurant, typically a buffet (in which many treats would find their way into my mom's purse and given out at future dinners). I have many fond memories of eating at Chef Mickey's in the then-Disney Village, wanting to throw up while walking the Boardwalk after dining at Cape May, taking the boat from the Contemporary to Trial's End and, of course, getting insulted while being a piggy at Whispering Canyon Cafe. But I also have fond memories of drinking hot coco, prepared in the room, and eating Publix cookies while walking around the Dixie Landings on a chilly Christmas Eve, waking up to the smell of delicious Mickey Mouse waffles cooked in the room, and fighting the parade at the Magic Kingdom so I could get back to the room in time for a home made Fuddruckers burger bar.

Of course, in the era of entitlement among Millenials (and I am a Millenial) and Generation Z -- in which WDW had to tone down Whispering Willows Cafe because the concept of funny insults as a form of entertainment was just too much for many Millenials and Gen Zs to handle -- unless it comes from Disney and is overpriced, it's not magical.

Debbie Downer has entered the room. :)

There are some good points there. Being frugal is good. There is almost nothing about a WDW vacation that can be considered being frugal. I live in New England, and this might be the last year we ever go because the flights are just getting way too expensive. But I have known a mother and her daughter that used to fly down once a month. There is a lot of wealth that is being passed down from the oldest generation to the the next generations. I chose my parents and grandparents poorly so I am missing out on that great wealth transfer.

At the same time never having any fun because you haven't socked enough away to replace your furnace if it dies is not a fun way to live either. I have seen too many folks my age or younger suddenly die of heart attacks and cancer. Don't live every day like you are dying tomorrow, but don't assume you will live forever either and keep postponing your life.

This topic has generated a lot of good discussion! I don't have much to add that hasn't been mentioned already (appearances being deceiving, priorities, etc.) and it's been a good reminder that everyone's situation and priorities are different.

I did want to throw out there that there are a lot of tools to help manage money. We use YNAB (youneedabudget.com) to budget every cent we earn and it's made it easy to work Disney (and other travel) into our lifestyle while keeping us out of debt. It's a paid product (I have no financial interest in it, btw--just a happy customer) but there are free tools out there as well. Mint.com is popular, and I think Dave Ramsey has an app called Every Dollar.

Budgeting is my little soap-box subject. I really do think people's lives can be improved immensely by getting a handle on their finances. Even people who are reluctant or who think there's nothing more they can do to improve their finances will find ways to make small changes.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who keeps sharing their thoughts.

This topic has generated a lot of good discussion! I don't have much to add that hasn't been mentioned already (appearances being deceiving, priorities, etc.) and it's been a good reminder that everyone's situation and priorities are different.

I did want to throw out there that there are a lot of tools to help manage money. We use YNAB (youneedabudget.com) to budget every cent we earn and it's made it easy to work Disney (and other travel) into our lifestyle while keeping us out of debt. It's a paid product (I have no financial interest in it, btw--just a happy customer) but there are free tools out there as well. Mint.com is popular, and I think Dave Ramsey has an app called Every Dollar.

Budgeting is my little soap-box subject. I really do think people's lives can be improved immensely by getting a handle on their finances. Even people who are reluctant or who think there's nothing more they can do to improve their finances will find ways to make small changes.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who keeps sharing their thoughts.

I've also loved reading through this chain. For my money, though, your post really hits the nail on the head.

Figuring out the rest of your financial life -- making a budget, massacring any and all debt, creating an emergency cushion, having an understanding of your path to retirement, etc. -- renders financial decision-making infinitely easier. For me, it's a complex series of spreadsheets (and a distilled, cleaner summary sheet for my wife). I love the complexity and in-depth nature of the exercise whereas many others find that detestable. No matter. Find something else that works, be it an app like YNAB or Every Dollar, the envelope system, living a cash-only lifestyle, etc. There is no one way to controlling your financial affairs. The key is to do something. Otherwise, that money will absolutely spend itself.

Fitting Disney (and travel generally) into our overall budget is a rather seamless endeavor at this point. My wife and I align quite nicely with regard to our big-ticket spending, and that's a real blessing. We're able to make value judgments slowly over time with cool heads (for example, sitting on the couch on a Tuesday night months removed from a trip) instead of in an impassioned frenzy in the heat of the moment (talking with a DVC sales rep in the Magic Kingdom while staring at Cinderella Castle in the midst of an intense, glorious vacation). In the end, that yielded the following results:
  1. When we go to Disney, we're exclusively Disney bubble people. And given that we can financially afford it, no more Values. They aren't the right fit for us.
  2. Given the above and our experiences at the various WDW resorts when we were Florida residents biting off a night or two at almost every spot, we bought a DVC resale contract that would enable us to take a big (10-day) park-heavy trip every other year with a long weekend (5-day) offseason trip in the off years. Our touring style is such that we never go rope drop to close and often have days with only 4-5 total hours in the parks (a few in the morning, a couple at night with lots of swimming/rest in the middle), so the longer biannual trip is a huge plus. We're about to embark on our longest no-parks trip ever and we'll see how it goes. Given other posts I've read on the Dis, we're very optimistic. In the end, our lodging expense is relatively modest given that we stay in studios and avoid peak times. Of course, it also required a significant upfront payment to buy the points. (Sidebar: for the budget-maker, DVC provides excellent cost certainty. We save for our dues every month and buy Black Friday-discounted gift cards just before it's time for the annual payment.)
  3. Look for park ticket hacks and don't be afraid to get creative! For our last trip, we had a UK-based friend purchase UK tickets for us. I did a bunch of research into these, and unlike Canadian tickets, you do not need to be a UK resident to buy these or show UK residency to use them; they just need to be purchased in the UK. Instead of buying 7-day tickets, we got 14-day park hoppers with Memory Maker included for nearly the same price. No, we didn't need 14-day tickets, but the flexibility enabled us to have days where we only spent a few hours in the parks or where we went to one park for a few hours in the morning and then visited another park just for a nighttime spectacular. Those days are incredibly refreshing.
  4. We do an excellent job of avoiding unnecessary food spending. This is arguably our single most important Disney expense item. It is well within your control to clamp down on this but it's extraordinarily easy for food spending to spiral out of control at WDW with inadequate planning. I'm sure that families get to the end of a four-day trip and exclaim "How the #&*$! did we spend $1,000 on food???" Eat all of your meals in a food court or at a table service restaurant, factor in the Disney pricing premium, and voila. It's like getting all of your meals at a sporting event.
  5. We plan out all of our meals before the trip, but it's more of a framework. We normally have 2-3 ADRs at table service spots that figure to provide big-time value for our family (character dining, Sci-Fi, etc.) and then we plan to eat most of the rest of our meals in/near the room. That may sound unexciting to some folks, but, for my girls, character dining in an ornate restaurant or a cup of easy mac with a carrot and a clementine by the pool yield similar value. Why in the world would I spend $30 apiece for a bunch of additional fancy meals when they'll get even more joy out of wiggling in the pool? Or even spend $30 for the family to get a quick service meal when they'd rather scarf down something easy and play? We'll drop $30 for our family on a quick service meal or two, but when every meal is at a theme park or hotel food court, your wallet is going to take a beating. Thanks to Southwest's liberal baggage policy -- I think you can bring a live camel as long as it fits into a checked bag -- we pack a suitcase full of food that will be delivered to our room via DME, augment with a modest Prime Now order of fresh veggies/fruit/dairy, and call it good, ensuring that we carry enough snacks with us to the parks in the morning to make it to lunchtime at the resort. By going to those extremes, the cost-averaging for our meals is totally fine. Plus, just as importantly, I get the added benefit of feeling like vacation has started 10 days early thanks to kicking it off with my grocery trip and suitcase packing!
  6. A more aggressive food spending strategy isn't wrong. If you (i) have more money than us, (ii) prioritize food more heavily than us, (iii) care less about being financially stable with the ability to travel again in the near future than we do, or (iv) some combination of the above, go nuts! I mean it. I don't begrudge folks for having different priorities. You just need to have some priorities or you'll end up blowing past your means and find yourself wondering why your peers are traveling again in a few months while you're tapped out.
  7. We want our girls to enjoy the joy of Disney but also to know the world around them by visiting other places, meeting other people, and experiencing different lifestyles. Thus, Disney travel is only a portion of our travel.
  8. Maybe the single most important nugget of Disney wisdom: you'll never do everything. If everything is your expectation, you'll be disappointed. Guaranteed. If fun/satisfaction/excitement is your goal, you can have a really great trip and feel at least somewhat relaxed at the end, too. This mindset helps us reject the inklings to spend on something that won't actually bring much, if any, happiness.
Budgeting has drastically reduced my stress level in life and it makes vacationing more fun. I'd go so far as to say that budgeting is a really fun hobby on top of its practical benefits. Pretty nifty. It also enables us to get to WDW annually without chipping away from our other financial goals too much.

We are a large family and travel has always been important to us, so it's part of our budget. We don't eat out much, we live pretty frugally, I've been a SAHM since my oldest was born. We are solidly middle class, luckily living in an area with a somewhat low cost of living. Still we bought the cheapest house in the best neighborhood we could afford. When our kids were young we drove everywhere. We bought a cheap trailer to travel with to keep costs down. Our kids have camped all over the country, including WDW. Now that our kids are mostly grown I value all our travels. Also now we are older, more finacially secure but WDW is still a vacation I love but now we fly and stay in the hotels rather than our camper. But to keep our WDW costs down I ask for gift cards, use credit card points for gift cards and wait for discounts. I'm just cheap but refuse to give up vacation.

I chose my parents and grandparents poorly so I am missing out on that great wealth transfer.
I hear ya. Me too. :rotfl2:
At the same time never having any fun because you haven't socked enough away to replace your furnace if it dies is not a fun way to live either. I have seen too many folks my age or younger suddenly die of heart attacks and cancer. Don't live every day like you are dying tomorrow, but don't assume you will live forever either and keep postponing your life.
THIS.

We own a plumbing business and we pay for everything for our trips with credit card points from the business. We earn Disney gift cards from one of our suppliers and we use them for extras while we are there.

On a budget board, the answer is going to overwhelmingly we save, we scrimp elsewhere, and/or we have high paying jobs. The boring answers.

In reality, I think there are a ton of people who go into debt for Disney vacations (or other vacations) and that is how they fund them. Statistics don’t back up the idea that nearly everyone who is vacationing often are financially healthy and just budgeting for it.

On a budget board, the answer is going to overwhelmingly we save, we scrimp elsewhere, and/or we have high paying jobs. The boring answers.

In reality, I think there are a ton of people who go into debt for Disney vacations (or other vacations) and that is how they fund them. Statistics don’t back up the idea that nearly everyone who is vacationing often are financially healthy and just budgeting for it.

Agreed. To the degree that my acquaintances talk about the financial aspects of their vacations, it seems like most put them (all or in part) on credit cards and then pay them it over time, presumably paying interest along the way. Few people I know sound like they save the full cost of vacation ahead of time.

78% live paycheck to paycheck. DOn’t look to Social media or others and feel bad that you can’t do it. Most people put out what the want you to believe. Inside their house they hope they make it to next payday. I know.....I was once massively in debt yet to many we looked like we had it all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter