How do people my age afford to go to Disney so much?!

When we go in a large group (my husband's family) it's usually paid for by the grandparents. I still do whatever I can to try to keep the costs down, but sometimes they want us to all stay together where they want us to stay no matter what. This next trip is just the four of us, and I'll be renting DVC points, taking advantage of cheap airfare, and I'll definitely be joining the credit card points boards to see how I can maximize all that! My husband has a Citi card that has some sort of benefit, and of course we have the Disney Visa. But I spend a lot of time researching deals and finding ways to save money so we can do more cool things when we're there.
@fancyfox823--I hope your next trip is in late 2021 or even 2022, because if you're renting points for a stay in 2020, be warned--if WDW isn't open on your dates, you will be out the money you paid for renting those points, with zero recourse unless you're renting directly from an understanding owner who's renting you points that aren't about to expire and they're willing and able to make a new reservation for you and WDW would be open during the time of that new reservation.

In case you think I'm exaggerating, please read through the thread about David's, a company that may not even be in business a year from now. Renters and owners alike are not amused, to say the least.

Right now, renting points is a terrible idea, since we have no idea when the parks are going to reopen or what the restrictions will be when they do. Also, keep in mind that if you're really determined to rent points, you may have a very difficult time finding the resort you want, since as every day goes by, there are more and more DVC owners who will be looking to book once WDW is open again.

For the people who rented points for stays during this period when WDW is shut down, renting points was about as far as you can get from a money-saving proposition. Instead, many of these people are out the entire amount of the reservation and may never recoup the money.

I am in my mid 20s. College graduate, professional job, but still low on the totem pole. I follow a lot of people on Instagram who go to Disney like 5 times a year. And I get it if you live close and can drive, which I used to, so I went more frequently. Now I have to fly. A particular person I follow has to fly. And she goes multiple times a year! And I don't get how!

Let me say that I'm not hating on these people in any way, I ask this question because I WISH I could do that! Like how do you get that much time off? How do you afford that many flights? They go on weekends, which isn't always the cheapest time to fly. Obviously they have annual passes, which I plan on getting, but it's still mind boggling!

I totally get how people who are older afford it, as they probably make a lot more money than me, have more time off accrued, etc.

I'm guessing maybe credit cards? Man, I wish I knew how to go that much because I would!

Myself, my wife and my 5 girls travel to Disney every year. We go for 3 weeks and spend Christmas there. here are some tips that make it possible for us to go ( I am 39 years old and have been going since 2007. Our average trip costs around $20,000.00 per year and I look for every discount and tips and trick i can find.

1. book 1 year out, put the deposit down and take the Balance and divide by 11 months to pay. (example. hotel and tickets are $1800.00 -$200.00 deposit there is $1600 left owing. 1600/11= 145.50 per month you need to save.
2. Make a budjet that allows for that Payment.
3.I use a credit card that i get points for flights. I use that card for everything I purchase ( I mean everything :).. I get almost enought points to fly the family round trip from Canada
4.Sign up for a rewards Credit card that has the best offer ( normally you get bonus points just for signing up) almost enought to cover 1 flight.
5.Wait to book your park passes. If free dining is released add the ticket and take advantage of the free dining. (huge Saving)
5.Use this Forum site to watch for discounts.
6. if you are going to go for 4-5 nights do it through the week. Flights are cheaper.

This is what we do and we are lucky to be able to do it. Everyone has different circumstances so do what works best for you and you will get there.

@fancyfox823--I hope your next trip is in late 2021 or even 2022, because if you're renting points for a stay in 2020, be warned--if WDW isn't open on your dates, you will be out the money you paid for renting those points, with zero recourse unless you're renting directly from an understanding owner who's renting you points that aren't about to expire and they're willing and able to make a new reservation for you and WDW would be open during the time of that new reservation.

In case you think I'm exaggerating, please read through the thread about David's, a company that may not even be in business a year from now. Renters and owners alike are not amused, to say the least.

Right now, renting points is a terrible idea, since we have no idea when the parks are going to reopen or what the restrictions will be when they do. Also, keep in mind that if you're really determined to rent points, you may have a very difficult time finding the resort you want, since as every day goes by, there are more and more DVC owners who will be looking to book once WDW is open again.

For the people who rented points for stays during this period when WDW is shut down, renting points was about as far as you can get from a money-saving proposition. Instead, many of these people are out the entire amount of the reservation and may never recoup the money.

Yes! Everyone who rents DVC points should be aware that DVC rentals are generally non-refundable - for any reason including "my father died," "my kid is in the hospital," "terrorist blew up Cinderella's Castle," or "the nation is under quarantine" - you should only rent DVC points if you can afford to be out the money if you need to cancel - or if your trip is cancelled for you. Its a great way to save money - for those that can afford to risk it. Trip insurance can help, but some people are discovering that this sort of thing isn't covered under all (most/any) policies.

I am in my mid 20s. College graduate, professional job, but still low on the totem pole. I follow a lot of people on Instagram who go to Disney like 5 times a year. And I get it if you live close and can drive, which I used to, so I went more frequently. Now I have to fly. A particular person I follow has to fly. And she goes multiple times a year! And I don't get how!

Let me say that I'm not hating on these people in any way, I ask this question because I WISH I could do that! Like how do you get that much time off? How do you afford that many flights? They go on weekends, which isn't always the cheapest time to fly. Obviously they have annual passes, which I plan on getting, but it's still mind boggling!

I totally get how people who are older afford it, as they probably make a lot more money than me, have more time off accrued, etc.

I'm guessing maybe credit cards? Man, I wish I knew how to go that much because I would!

It is really hard to tell. They could be up to their eyeballs in debt paying for the trips, could have very good jobs that afford them the luxury of travel, they could have jobs that require a lot of travel and they fly and stay on points, they could even be traveling to Orlando for business multiple times a year and hitting the parks on off days or after meetings. Maybe they are still mooching off their parents or had an inheritance from a grandparent they are using to fund travel.

There are also ways to travel very cheaply if you know how to play the game. A friend of mine that is not in their 20's but isn't exactly flush with cash travels often. They both make that a priority over other large expenses and also really work the industry for deals. If you are a close friend just as them. That friend of mine that travels a lot had so many people ask how he can afford to travel so often he started writing bogs with tips.

It depends on so many factors. I imagine a lot of the people you see live in Florida.

I know a 23 year old who’s family has a ton of DVC points and parents buy APs. AND Dad works for airlines.
I know another mid-twenty who works for living expenses and has a large trust fund used for play money.

When I was your age I had been to MK 2 times in my life! As we started a family in my 20s I had no idea how we could as a family. We were 32 the first time we went back. The value resorts are the only way we were able to go. And sad to say credit cards were used too. 🙄😢😫. I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANY CREDIT CARD BE USED UNLESS IT IS PAID OFF EVERY MONTH. USE IT FOR POINTS!

I think it just all depends on personal circumstances and priorities. I'm also in my mid-20s. My husband works and I am just finishing up grad school. I use points to travel and buy discounted gift cards to knock down costs.

We have no children (which really helps) and prioritize travel. Neither of us has the fanciest car, and that is okay. It is a choice that helps us travel. Once I start my new job in the fall I anticipate multiple short-ish trips each year like we did before I went back to school. We are fortunate to have jobs that allow us to spend money on leisure. If we made different choices in jobs, living expenses, or vehicles, we couldn't travel as much.

Yup. This is pretty much us all well. except we are in our late twenties now lol.

My question is how to have so much leave! Unless they are travel bloggers full time.

I am from the UK and we have quite generous annual leave - i get 24 days + 8 bank holidays... usually have to take 5 of them over xmas. So its a either a week and a fortnight or 3 weeks.

UK requirement is 20 i think. Others in Europe get more. But in the USA do you get annual leave generally or is it unpaid?

Generally interested whether you do not get any.. or if it is another thing people over in Europe like to play up?

It depends on your employers. I get 4 weeks a year and my fiance gets 6 weeks a year. Both are considered to be generous for US based companies

My question is how to have so much leave! Unless they are travel bloggers full time.

I am from the UK and we have quite generous annual leave - i get 24 days + 8 bank holidays... usually have to take 5 of them over xmas. So its a either a week and a fortnight or 3 weeks.

UK requirement is 20 i think. Others in Europe get more. But in the USA do you get annual leave generally or is it unpaid?

Generally interested whether you do not get any.. or if it is another thing people over in Europe like to play up?

Like others have said it depends on your job.

I work for a hospital and to start you accumulate 5 weeks of PTO a year, at 5 years you get 6 weeks and at 10 years you get 7 weeks. We accumulate per pay period. We don’t get a lump sum on January 1.

Since I work in the outpatient world I use 6 days of PTO When we are closed for holidays (New Years, Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day, thanksgiving and Xmas). Hospital staff obviously works on holidays so they don’t use PTO those days (If they are scheduled to work) but they get paid time and a half if they work the holiday. So they get a few extra days to use at their own discretion.

So technically after my holidays I get 6 weeks of PTO since I’ve been here 16 years. I started here when I was 21 so I’ve had good PTO since a young age. Out of that bank comes vacation, sick time, personal time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!