How do i stay dry on Splash Mountain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess I'm in the minority-I think the water is part of the fun and never understood wearing a poncho. I don't think I ever get that wet on SM, certainly not enough to warrant changing shoes. I carry a small crossbody Vera Bradley and it's never been soaked either.

Same. If I go on a water ride it's to get wet.

Getting wet on splash or Kali is a part of the attraction imo

I'm with you. The only caveat to that I'd say is that I really like Splash, and think I'd still really enjoy it even if the splash at the end disappeared. It's a cool ride...but the splash makes it oh so much better. Now Kali...that's a ride that, IMO, pretty much the one and only reason to go on it is to get wet. The special effects are now gone/off, and it's a short ride, so it's one and only purpose to us is to cool us off on a hot summer day. That's a ride that I don't see the point of going on if you don't want to get wet.

Much to my family's chagrin, I wear a poncho! I grab some cheap ones before our trip and they work great!

I'm with you. The only caveat to that I'd say is that I really like Splash, and think I'd still really enjoy it even if the splash at the end disappeared. It's a cool ride...but the splash makes it oh so much better. Now Kali...that's a ride that, IMO, pretty much the one and only reason to go on it is to get wet. The special effects are now gone/off, and it's a short ride, so it's one and only purpose to us is to cool us off on a hot summer day. That's a ride that I don't see the point of going on if you don't want to get wet.

Agree with this 100%! We just never really bother with Kali, but Splash is at the top of our must do list and would be even with out the water!

I never ride Splash unless it's at least 80 and sunny, so that I don't mind if I'm a little wet. I agree with those who said that sitting in the last row on the left side is the best way to minimize the water damage. I always sit there, and I've honestly never been more than a little splashed with water, never soaked, although I completely believe those who have been. Those in the front seats seem to get some major backsplash when the log plows into the water at the bottom of the ride. The biggest pain sometimes can be the wet seat and wet floor when you get on. As noted, maybe wipe off the seat with something or sit on something, and if you have a bag, put it on top of your feet and not on the wet floor. Even if I've gotten a little wet, my bag seems well protected down there.

I would say I don't mind getting wet on Spalsh, but not completely soaked like when you get stuck next to the waterfall. That's just not really the intention for that ride. I may use a poncho if it's cooler, but other wise just go with it.

On Kali, I know the deal is to get drenched, so if I go on I am looking for that. If it's cooler, I will just pass. I usually do try to use a cheap poncho, but mostly just to keep around my backside so I am not sitting in the water. Otherwise, bring on the soaking!

It's not that I mind being a liittle wet- in fact, on a hot day I love it! But unfortunately wet jean shorts are not comfortable to walk around in and can lead to quite an unpleasant outcome. That being said, I am not a poncho girl so I try my best not to wear those uncomfortable jean shorts on a MK (or AK) day!

I have only been on the DLR version of Splash, but our first time experience there was hilarious as it was just me and my husband in the log and (Splash at DLR is single file) I sat in the very front and he sat right behind me. WRONG, BAD, TERRIBLE IDEA. It was like getting a bucket of water right to the face!

I have only been on the DLR version of Splash, but our first time experience there was hilarious as it was just me and my husband in the log and (Splash at DLR is single file) I sat in the very front and he sat right behind me. WRONG, BAD, TERRIBLE IDEA. It was like getting a bucket of water right to the face!
Yeah, Splash is MUCH wetter at DL. We did Single Rider, and I thought we would just automatically go in the back because of that. Turns out our log had 2 mothers with 2 young girls, and both pairs wanted to be the back rows. There were no other groups of 2, so my husband and I went together, with me in the front. Was not expecting that!

I've seen people with ponchos on rides and no that's not a problem to wear that. Granted when I go on a water ride I expect to get wet otherwise we don't ride it. We skipped Kali this most recent trip just because we didn't feel like getting wet. However we did save the water rides for Universal and did 3 of them back to back--soaked but had a ton of fun. I would have ridden splash though but it was closed for refurb when we went.

To answer the title of the thread in order to stay dry on splash mountain..don't ride splash mountain.

As far as trying to stay as dry as possible others have good advice. Sometimes you come out dry as a bone and other times not.

Wearing a poncho on Splash Mountain is laughable, in my opinion. Why even ride the ride if you don't want to get wet?

And it's just water. Is it really that scary?

I really dislike water rides, but I "take one for the team" and go on them because my D and H love them. So here is my strategy for staying dry:

1) If it's hot that day, I will wear something on bottom like those quick-dry Nike running shorts, and a short sleeved tee or tank top (as a base layer if it's chilly). If it's cold, I will wear something like leggings or sweats on bottom that I can push up to knee-level or above.
2) I bring either a poncho or a tall kitchen garbage bag with armholes cut out (it works because I'm only five feet tall), along with several large ziplock bags and a pair of flip flops, in a backpack that day (if I'm lucky my H is bringing one anyway)
3) Bring a small towel/paper towels/napkin in the backpack too
4) I don't bother to spend a lot of time on my hair that day and will wear it in a ponytail/braid and/or with a baseball cap
5) I bring an extra baseball cap or borrow my husband's at the crucial time (see #9)
6) Before getting in line, I take off my sneakers and socks, put them in a Ziplock, put on the flip flops, and put my purse in the backpack
7) Right before I get to the final queueing area, I take off any layers over the tee/tank and put on the poncho
8) Before I sit in the ride, I wipe down the seat with the towel/napkin and be sure to tuck my poncho/trash bag under me; push up leggings/sweats as necessary
9) I take the spare hat and cover my face with it when we get near any parts of the ride that might splash my face (like the big downhill or near that fountain that people have mentioned)

Ok, this routine may sound ridiculously high-maintenance to some. And I never did any of these things until I rode once and got absolutely drenched...seriously, it was like the scene in Fantasmic where Mickey keeps getting doused with bucket after bucket of water. It was insane...every last inch of me was drenched, makeup was running in my eyes, and I was wearing jeans, which feel extremely heavy and uncomfortable IMO when they're wet (and caused really bad chafing). This routine may also seem very vain to some...but I have severe rosacea that takes a long time to cover every morning and is very embarrassing to me, so I would rather hold that baseball cap over my face to prevent all my makeup coming off then have to feel self-conscious all day or carry around my concealer with me and re-do it in a park bathroom.

And my hair gets super frizzy and out of control when it gets wet...hence the ponytail/braid/baseball cap.

And I do it all with a smile (that's admittedly sometimes hidden by the baseball cap!) and feel lucky to be enjoying WDW with my H and D. :) Oh, and this strategy works pretty well for Kali River Rapids too!

Hope my strategy is helpful to you, OP! :)

We rode with a little southern momma, her husband and young child. Bless her heart, she put on a tie-on rain bonnet, as she didn't want to ruin her hair. I told DH as we exited (not near them) that he *had* to make sure we got that picture loaded into our account... it makes me laugh every time I look at it. :)

DH doesn't like to get too wet. We usually travel when it's likely a thunderstorm will pop up at any time, so we carry rain jackets in a backpack, just in case. He'll often ask for his to drape over himself before we go down the drop, and hold it up if he's next to the waterfalls at the bottom.

Couple questions about Splash mountain:

1. Can I wear water shoes (the ones that totally cover your feet but are sort of rubbery and mesh- like material?

2. Is it possible to change into flip flops/water shoes at the last minute?

3. Is there somewhere to keep my bag/purse during the ride where things won't get wet?

4. Is it silly/worth it to wear a poncho?

1. Yup

2. Yup, I don't see any reason why you couldn't do that towards the end of the line, just before boarding. You can see when you are close to the boarding area, so you'll have a couple of minutes to make the quick change before it is your turn.

3. I think just next to you in the seat, or by your feet.

4. I have seen plenty of people wear poncho's for Splash Mountain, and that would give you a way to keep your bag / purse dry too.

Wearing a poncho on Splash Mountain is laughable, in my opinion. Why even ride the ride if you don't want to get wet?

The ride is visually very pleasing. It is possible that someone could enjoy seeing the visuals, but dislike the water. I enjoy the visuals, but absolutely detest the drop. It properly scares the Pooh Bear out of me, but I ride it anyway, to enjoy the scenery, and keep my son happy. Certainly, there is no harm done by someone choosing to wear a poncho. I've seen plenty of people doing just that.

There is so much more to this ride then just getting wet. Lots of people ride it just to experience the 99% of it that doesn’t involve getting wet. And I’d rather look stupid in a poncho then walk around all day in chilly weather (Orlando can get cold in the winter) soaking wet.

I've never been that wet at Splash Mountain.
But maybe for me wet means REALLY WET like Dudley or Popeye's rides at Islands of Adventure lol
that's a mess

My DH thinks I'm crazy, but I pack a change of clothes for everyone for each park day. After getting drenched on Kali on a chilly day and having to drip dry all day, I decided to start wearing ponchos on wet rides and bringing extra clothes just in case. It saves a trip back to the resort. Thank goodness we always have a stroller with a huge storage compartment.

I do the same thing (minus the poncho) when I do water rides (Kali River, Splash, or Frozen). A small towel and a change of clothes just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter