How do I sign up for the Key Program - via Cruise planner or something else?

TigerLaw

DIS Veteran
First-time Cruiser here with a quick question for you experts. My cruise is not until February of 2020 on the harmony, but I am interested in utilizing this new key program but I'm not clear how to sign up for it. Will it show up on my cruise planner and if so under what tab? Or is there a different scenario in play?

Thanks in advance for the help!

yes cruise planner..it’s under one of the tabs, if it’s available for your cruise. The rates seem to change. It, like other options added to your cruise can be cancelled, refunded and booked at the lower rate.

It will be in your Cruise Planner, under "Internet and More". If you definitely want to purchase The Key, my advice is to buy it and keep checking the price. Royal often drops prices on Cruise Planner items, so you can cancel and rebook if a better price shows up. Also, there are only a limited number of Keys to purchase, and once they are gone they are gone unless someone cancels. So if you are on the fence my advice is to buy it while you think about it. You can cancel up to 3 days before you sail.

Agree with all the above. Just want to add-
Do it quick, if you are. RCL has once again changed The Key. There are only 100-200 sold per cruise. Depending on the class of ship. People are catching on and it’s selling out quickly. That is from my TA. She also said-the less prime time cruises usually don’t sell out till close to sail date. 7-10 days was her time frame.
Hope that helps!

Do you know what changed? Im worried that they have bumped it from 100 (what it was capped at per RCI when My group booked) to 200 guests now on my Symphony Cruise...

Symphony class ships 200. If TA has been told the right info. From the various other boards it seems RCL likes to make regular changes to The Key. But it is a roll out program so changes are sure to happen.
I’ve booked it for our cruise. We leave tomorrow on Allure 7 day. I’ll ask tons of questions and post when I get back.

So I’m looking into booking a cruise for next May.What is this key program and how much does it cost and do I need it

Thanks Leslie

So I’m looking into booking a cruise for next May.What is this key program and how much does it cost and do I need it

Thanks Leslie

The Key is a skip the lines kind of deal. When the program rolled out in August/September last year there was only going to be a fixed number of Keys sold per cruise. Oasis class ships 200. All others 100. This is something you should check before purchasing I think. If they sell too many it will not be as cost effective to the consumer. In my opinion. As of my sailing it was set to be 200. Per My TA.

You get express embarkation/debarkation at all ports and delivery of your carry on to stateroom by 130 -you aren’t saddled with carrying your bags around while getting acquainted with ship. Lunch at chops when you arrive. Also special times to ride flow rider zip line and rock wall daily. They say an hour a day per activity. That schedule is in your stateroom and varies per cruise. But does allow you to ride them multiple times daily. If you have kids or don’t like to wait this is a good thing.
The following have changed multiple times and are up for debate-because this is a roll out program- oasis class ships you do need to make reservations for shows/dinners before you board. (Recheck this info it has changed in the 3 months since I booked my cruise and I think changes per ship class??!) But the seats are in the front rows of the major theaters and you don’t have to arrive until 10-15 mins prior-again no waiting in the line-and they usher you to the reserved area.
A sit down breakfast last day with special access to exit the ship. No cattle call going on. Exit at your leisure. Your bags are at the last stop before you exit the terminal. (Miami anyway).
Prices fluctuate. I got mine for $20 a day per guest. $140 each. This includes WiFi for everyone who has the key. All guest under 6 I believe are required in the fine print. Might want to double check that one. If you compare the WiFi rates and the key I think it’s a good deal.
All this info I have gotten from TA. I leave tomorrow on Allure. I’ll post an honest review when I get back.
Hope this helps!!

Symphony class ships 200. If TA has been told the right info. From the various other boards it seems RCL likes to make regular changes to The Key. But it is a roll out program so changes are sure to happen.
I’ve booked it for our cruise. We leave tomorrow on Allure 7 day. I’ll ask tons of questions and post when I get back.

When my group booked Key for Symphony (April cruise) in January Royal told the part of the group thru them that it was 100 people and my travel agent told me the same thing after calling Royal about it...

From what I have heard of the experiences - they can probably accommodate more than they have been but we were clearly told 100 is all.

Looking forward to your review!

The Key is a skip the lines kind of deal. When the program rolled out in August/September last year there was only going to be a fixed number of Keys sold per cruise. Oasis class ships 200. All others 100. This is something you should check before purchasing I think. If they sell too many it will not be as cost effective to the consumer. In my opinion. As of my sailing it was set to be 200. Per My TA.

You get express embarkation/debarkation at all ports and delivery of your carry on to stateroom by 130 -you aren’t saddled with carrying your bags around while getting acquainted with ship. Lunch at chops when you arrive. Also special times to ride flow rider zip line and rock wall daily. They say an hour a day per activity. That schedule is in your stateroom and varies per cruise. But does allow you to ride them multiple times daily. If you have kids or don’t like to wait this is a good thing.
The following have changed multiple times and are up for debate-because this is a roll out program- oasis class ships you do need to make reservations for shows/dinners before you board. (Recheck this info it has changed in the 3 months since I booked my cruise and I think changes per ship class??!) But the seats are in the front rows of the major theaters and you don’t have to arrive until 10-15 mins prior-again no waiting in the line-and they usher you to the reserved area.
A sit down breakfast last day with special access to exit the ship. No cattle call going on. Exit at your leisure. Your bags are at the last stop before you exit the terminal. (Miami anyway).
Prices fluctuate. I got mine for $20 a day per guest. $140 each. This includes WiFi for everyone who has the key. All guest under 6 I believe are required in the fine print. Might want to double check that one. If you compare the WiFi rates and the key I think it’s a good deal.
All this info I have gotten from TA. I leave tomorrow on Allure. I’ll post an honest review when I get back.
Hope this helps!!

Read my review I the other Key thread. These perks have changed dramatically. The "dedicated hours" for activities are now limited to one hour per week per activity. Not daily. Now you can cut the line, if you are the kind of person who is OK cutting in front of children who have been waiting in line for 20+ minutes.

You absolutely need reservations for shows on Oasis ships, and you need to arrive at least 15 minutes early to claim seats. We arrived 10 minutes early and there were 5 seats left for the skating show.

Lunch at Chops was 1.5 hours long for a Caesar salad, tiny filet, and small dessert. 1.5 hours on embarkation day!

I am SO glad we only paid $19.99 per person but even so it is 100% NOT worthwhile.

Read my review I the other Key thread. These perks have changed dramatically. The "dedicated hours" for activities are now limited to one hour per week per activity. Not daily. Now you can cut the line, if you are the kind of person who is OK cutting in front of children who have been waiting in line for 20+ minutes.

You absolutely need reservations for shows on Oasis ships, and you need to arrive at least 15 minutes early to claim seats. We arrived 10 minutes early and there were 5 seats left for the skating show.

Lunch at Chops was 1.5 hours long for a Caesar salad, tiny filet, and small dessert. 1.5 hours on embarkation day!

I am SO glad we only paid $19.99 per person but even so it is 100% NOT worthwhile.

As I said in the other thread - snagging a fast pass or having universal express pass is the same perk as priority. I can’t imagine Folks have angst over ‘cutting the line’ when they use that perk! But I would be curious to see how much time it saves you - if there are 2 of you - can one go in priority and one in the regular line to see how much faster it really is??

As I said in the other thread - snagging a fast pass or having universal express pass is the same perk as priority. I can’t imagine Folks have angst over ‘cutting the line’ when they use that perk! But I would be curious to see how much time it saves you - if there are 2 of you - can one go in priority and one in the regular line to see how much faster it really is??

But at Disney and Universal there are 2 separate lines and most people are aware of the Fastpass/Express Pass vs regular line situation. There is only one line here, and no sign posted that gives Key guests priority. So unless you have the Key, you are totally unaware that other guests can just walk past you and ride/climb/slide before you. That's where the difference lies. This isn't anything like "snagging" a Fastpass or buying/staying at a resort that includes Express Pass.

Imagine how that would work at Disney or Universal, if there were NO signs posted anywhere in the parks explaining that Fastpass or Express Pass riders have priority, and each ride/attraction had only one line (no Fastpass or Express Pass line). Anyone who has Fastpass/Express Pass would have to squeeze past the whole line, in the same queue, and go in front of everyone else. Do you really think people would be OK with that? I don't.

This is what I understood from what I have read, that every day, one activity had a special time just for The Key guests.

I'm kind of happy about this one because I never relax completely before the fire drill... This will force me to sit down, relax and enjoy the first hours on the ship.

It does seem like Royal is still tweaking the Key program. As long as we get priority embarkation, Chops lunch - a leisurely lunch is right up my alley - especially if the rooms are not ready, reserved seats at the shows, Voom internet for each person, and the disembarkation assistance after breakfast on departure day, I will be happy. But I am watching and appreciative of all that share their experiences these next few months with us.

Not to resurrect a somewhat old thread but... (commence resurrection)

I don't cruise until July 2020 and I don't see the Key as an option showing up. In fact, I've never seen it show up. My question is, could it be too early for RCCL to be offering it seeing as the cruise is a year off. Or does that mean people have already snatched up all the Key spots?

I don't see it showing up on the website for our Harmony cruise for June 2020 either. Maybe too early?

I was looking for a priority boarding (similar to Carnival's Faster to the Fun), and just saw The Key for my cruise in Dec 2019. Unfortunately it's already sold out.

Not to resurrect a somewhat old thread but... (commence resurrection)

I don't cruise until July 2020 and I don't see the Key as an option showing up. In fact, I've never seen it show up. My question is, could it be too early for RCCL to be offering it seeing as the cruise is a year off. Or does that mean people have already snatched up all the Key spots?
I don't see it showing up on the website for our Harmony cruise for June 2020 either. Maybe too early?
Just to let you know I sail on January 12, 2020 and although I last checked mid August for Key program, I looked again today and it’s there for around $32 per day on a 6 day adventure of the sea.

For us the Key showed up 170 days before sail date. We are leaving January 27 2020

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter