How complicated is it to remove one person from a reservation?

mevelandry

DIS Veteran
My girl friends and I organized a girls trip a few months ago. It's me with 2 other adults: let's call them F1 and F2...

We are supposed to go in about 18 months.

I know I sound like a Debbie Downer but F2 hasn't put a single dollar on it so far (while F1 and are extremely advanced in the process) and according to the plans F2's family have for the future (expensive plans!), it's quite obvious that this trip is at the bottom of their list of priorities... I think they won't say it just because they don't want to disappoint us and I'm sort of expecting them to break the news that F2 won,t come right before PIF day.

So F1 and I already started saving more money just in case F2 is cancelling her presence to the trip.

Now, I booked a GTY inside cabin for 3 adults so no room has been assigned to us so far... So I guess no "moving" is involved yet.

How complicated is it to remove one person for a reservation? (I made the booking and I am the Primary Guest on the reservation.)

Will F1 and I have to pay an upcharge? (We booked early and got a great deal!)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I don't think you'll have too much trouble changing the name. I believe the policy is that you can change names on the reservation up until about 3 days ahead and I don't think there's a charge. You'll probably have to do it with a phone call though...I doubt it can be done online. Or a travel agent could do it for you, if you have the reservation associated with one. I think the main restriction is that at least one person on the original reservation has to stay on it. In your case, that's no problem, because that's you.

Most cruise fares are based on double occupancy. Also depends on if you booked a special rate.
As long as you cancel before PIF, I would expect to pay the two highest listed rates (Passenger 1 and Passenger 2) and have the rate for Passenger 3 removed. Because the rooms are based on double occupancy, this will likely increase your overall portion if you had been splitting the cruise by 3.
For example, my ILs had 3 people in their room the fares listed as follows
Passenger 1 $1908
Passenger 2 $1908
Passenger 3 $1048

In that case, I would expect that you and F1 would each be paying $1908 (plus port fees, taxes) whereas if F2 did go I would think you each have been paying $1621.

Most cruise fares are based on double occupancy. Also depends on if you booked a special rate.
As long as you cancel before PIF, I would expect to pay the two highest listed rates (Passenger 1 and Passenger 2) and have the rate for Passenger 3 removed. Because the rooms are based on double occupancy, this will likely increase your overall portion if you had been splitting the cruise by 3.
For example, my ILs had 3 people in their room the fares listed as follows
Passenger 1 $1908
Passenger 2 $1908
Passenger 3 $1048

In that case, I would expect that you and F1 would each be paying $1908 (plus port fees, taxes) whereas if F2 did go I would think you each have been paying $1621.

Yeah, I'm expecting a correction in the price. Hopefully it's not going to be that bad. Chances are they can put us in a smaller/cheaper cabin too because it would be just the two of us. I checked today, it's still not assigned.

When I thought we going to have to do this on a trip I went on in December I was told I would lose the deposit that was put down for the 3rd person. I did not have to remove the 3rd person so I don't know if there would have ended up being any other fees.

When I thought we going to have to do this on a trip I went on in December I was told I would lose the deposit that was put down for the 3rd person. I did not have to remove the 3rd person so I don't know if there would have ended up being any other fees.

We booked "refundable". To my knowledge, as long as we make the changes before the PIF date, we're fine.

We booked four cabins through Royal Caribbean and then transferred to Dreams Unlimited to get the shipboard credit (btw, they sponsor these boards), My friend had to make a change to her cabin, but they didn't drop a person, they changed the fourth person. Our Dreams agent took care of it all for us. As for the non-refundable deposit, it goes towards the cost of the cruise, so if you don't add a third person you'd just give F2 the deposit $ back. (I don't know if you can change to Dreams Unlimited after a certain amount of time, and if that's the case, then just contact Royal Caribbean.)

We booked four cabins through Royal Caribbean and then transferred to Dreams Unlimited to get the shipboard credit (btw, they sponsor these boards), My friend had to make a change to her cabin, but they didn't drop a person, they changed the fourth person. Our Dreams agent took care of it all for us. As for the non-refundable deposit, it goes towards the cost of the cruise, so if you don't add a third person you'd just give F2 the deposit $ back. (I don't know if you can change to Dreams Unlimited after a certain amount of time, and if that's the case, then just contact Royal Caribbean.)

Thanks. I booked directly with RCCL with a refundable deposit. We'll see how it goes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter