How cold is January?

alljess11

Earning My Ears
Family for four, twin daughters will be 22 and seniors in college. This will probably be our last big family vacation because who knows what the future will bring once they graduate. The unknown will be if they have jobs upon graduation and when they would start so thinking it would be best to go during winter break which would be around the 2nd week in January. We have been there at the end of August and it was very hot but we still had a great time I just wonder if you can still have a great time it you go in January and it is cold?

We were there Jan 10-16th, and the weather was AMAZING. Lows in the 50s, quickly warming up to 75-80. Warm, but not melting. I would go again in a heartbeat.

It can get down in the 30’s at night, but we kind of go on a weekly cycle. A front goes through and it gets cold. Then it warms up each day until the next front goes through about a week later. Bring clothes you can layer, everything from swimsuits to shorts, to jeans, to jackets and gloves. Yesterday people were swimming and today they are wearing heavy jackets. That’s winter in Florida.

I spend a week at WDW every January and have a great time.

This week is a good example of what can happen.
Wednesday high 79, low 66
Saturday high 62 low 34

I don't know where you are from, but if you are a northerner, don't let the 50 degree temps make you think it will be fine. We went to Epcot on a day in the low 50s in January and FROZE! Between the wind and the humid air, it really feels much colder. I wished I had brought a hat and mittens! Having said that, I agree with other posters, your vacation in January can vary over a wide range of temps.

It can be hot it can be cold and any where in the middle. Before your trip there is a website called weather . Com this will be your best friend you will know what the weather will be like how to pack. Bring layers as it can be cold in the morning and night and warmer during the day.

Be prepared for all types of weather. We went last year for 12 days and wore our winter coats 6 of those days. We also wore shorts for a few days. Take clothes you can layer. It's usually cool in the morning and warms up but then gets cool again at night.

Thanks for all the input. I live in Rochester NY and it is currently 7 degrees outside.....but I agree that 50 degrees is cold if you are spending the whole day outside. I'd go again in August because I feel like you can cool down a lot quicker then you can warm up. I guess I will have to hope and pray for a heat wave because I feel like January is our only option. Again thanks for the input.

Honestly, January is a crapshoot. We've gone 3 times in Jan/Feb, and the first time, there were icicles on all the fountains. The headline of the paper on our first morning was that it was colder in WDW than in Juneau Alaska! But it was all about perspective for us - Being cold at WDW sure beats being cold at home!

One thing we hadn't thought about though was that some rides/shows couldn't operate in colder weather. The first few days, there were a couple more closures than expected. For example, they car stunt show was shortened. The Indiana Jones Stunt show was shortened as well. But for the most part, there were fewer people, and we went to indoor shows/rides more often.

That first trip, it was COLD in the beginning, but warmed up and was in the 60's by the end of the week. Our other trips were sweatshirt weather in the morning and at night, but tshirts and jeans or light dresses during the day.

Again - crapshoot. Crowds were low all 3 times though. Don't know if there's really a "low crowd" time anymore though.

Jan 13-20. I packed for layers. Most days I was comfortable in capri yoga pants and a long sleeve shirt with a tshirt underneath. Jan 16 was the lowest temperature all week and that day at HS I wore a blanket around my waist to keep warm. I didn't wear shorts until Saturday & Sunday. And even Sunday I was wishing I had reconsidered.

I felt off all week and attributed it to the daily change in temperatures. By Sunday I was miserable and after landing we went straight from the airport to urgent care. I have the flu & strep.

Definitely it can be just about anything. The year we went in January it was unseasonably cold, highs in the 30s most days. Brrrr!

Family for four, twin daughters will be 22 and seniors in college. This will probably be our last big family vacation because who knows what the future will bring once they graduate. The unknown will be if they have jobs upon graduation and when they would start so thinking it would be best to go during winter break which would be around the 2nd week in January. We have been there at the end of August and it was very hot but we still had a great time I just wonder if you can still have a great time it you go in January and it is cold?

Expect 50-75 degrees, roll the dice every 12 hours on what you get. Bring a backpack and a couple sweatshirts and you’ll have a great time. I just got back from Jan 7th-12th and the weather was great, even better because there was no rain like the summer. Just wish the park hours were longer!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!