How can you get upgraded on your flights?

Paul Moberg

Earning My Ears
Hi All,

A few years ago, many of my friends started to get married, many of them at WDW. A few of them managed to get upgraded to 1st class on their flights for no charge, since they were getting married.

Has anyone recently been able to do this? If so, how?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Paul

P.S. Anyone with ideas as to how to get Amy's wedding dress down to WDW would be appreicated as well!

I'm not sure how to get upgraded - I ususally fly ATA (and they don't have first class)- but I am also interested to know! Regarding the dress - I've been asking around myself. We are really hopeful that at least one of our guests will drive down and bring my dress with them. If not, I'm just going to check it as luggage. I don't want the hastle of bringing it through security. My cousin's wife almost wasn't allowed to bring her dress on the plane due to lack of room (even though the airline told her ahead of time that it shouldn't be a problem). I think it all depends on the type of airline you fly and how full the plane is! As I said earlier, I usually fly ATA and they fly direct from Chicago to Orlando, so I'm fairly confident that the dress will make it o.k then I'll have Disney steam the dress before the wedding. If the dress doesn't make it, I probably will be a bit upset - but when it all comes down to it I really don't care about the dress, I just care about marrying Mike -I'd do it in a t-shirt and jeans if I have to!

On both Delta and America West we asked at the counter and have been able to pay a nominal fee ($75-100) to upgrade our seats on the morning of check in. We haven't done this for a long time, but it used to be an option.

When flying down for our WDW wedding, we had several of us on the same flight. Although my dress bag was larger than the usual allowed carry on bag since there were a couple rows of us I was able to bring it on the plane with no fuss. I doubled the bag over and put it in the overhead above our row. Disney steamed it the night before and did a great job.

This only happened once for us. We had already checked in and were sitting near the gate waiting. I guess the agent overheard my fiance and I talking and he he waved us over to the desk. Much to my surprise, he upgraded us! This was Delta Airlines. I think this sort of thing is very hit or miss.

I actually asked about upgrades on a subsequent trip and the agent looked at me like I had three heads! Go figure!

Good luck to you!

:)

Sometimes all you have to do is ask..... For my honeymoon last September from MSP to Orlando, my husband just asked, and they put us in first class. He didn't even mention the newlywed thing at all!

I think it all depends completely on who the person is that you are going to talk to! There are some gate agents that are strictly by the book, and some who are very friendly and will occasionally do something out of the norm just for the asking! It never hurts to try, that's for sure!!

Good luck and enjoy your honeymoon either way!! :cool:

We have bride & groom t-shirts we'll be wearing when we fly down (no Mickey & Minnie bride & groom shirts, just regualr ones) nd I'm going to ask when we check in if we can get up graded on our flight. It really is a hit or miss thing on most flights, depending on how full the flight is. As for getting the wedding dress down there, there are other message boards I go to at WeddingChannel.com that has entire sections devoted to traveling with wedding gowns, you might be able to get some answers there since it's an entirely wedding board.

Hi!

We just got back from our honeymoon and were upgraded both ways. We were wearing the ears and pins on the way down and just the pins on the way back.

We did NOT ask to be upgraded... and I think that helped, honestly. When the guy checking us in looked up to see the hats and pins, he smiled and asked "Honeymoon?" blah blah blah... printed out the tickets and handed them to us. We smiled, chitchatted with him a bit more, thank him, and went to go on our way when he said, "You know what? Hang on, give me those back..." and proceeed to bump us up with new tickets. :)

It was great fun! Never gone 1st class before! Too bad it was only a 2 hour ride! :)

Julia

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter