How busy are the parks on Martin Luther King Day?

Blondie

~*~*~*~<br><font color=blue>This TF always enjoys
Just wondering, since that will be our first full day there.

Which park would be less crowded do you think?

We were at WDW last MLK weekend 2002. We arrived on Friday afternoon and did the MK that day. We did MGM on Saturday without a hitch. Sunday morning we did AK until about noon when crowds began to swell. We moved over to Epcot where crowds were low until it was time for parades and Illuminations. We did not go into any of the parks on Monday as it was our departure day, however, we did go to Disney Quest and the Downtown Disney area. We did not encounter huge crowds there. All in all, it was not a bad weekend. We will be going down again this MLK weekend 2003 to do it all over again! If I had to choose a park to go to on MLK Monday, I believe I would choose Epcot. It seems to handle crowds better. Have fun!

we'll be there then also and I was wondering the same thing! Anyone actually been there on that day before?:D

We will also be at the wilderness lodge but this is our first time ever staying on Disney properyty! We can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We've gone the past three January's around that time. MLK weekend does tend to get busy. But, it is very doable.
After all it is January. :D I've heard that the actual holiday isn't as busy as the weekend, because people start heading home. Before and after the weekend, you'll have the place to yourself. ;)

Have fun!!! Sending pixie dust for warm weather!!!!:smooth:

Sara

We went to MK on MLK day last year, and didn't even go in, since it was mobbed just waiting to get in. People told us back at the resort it was a zoo in the parks. Sunday and Monday we were at Sports, and it was very busy. By Tuesday, it was dead again.

We arrived this past January on MLK day around noon. We were staying at the Beach Club so we headed over to Epcot as soon as we'd checked in. I believe we were eating lunch at the American pavilion in the neighborhood of 1:30. Since my son is a Test Track fanatic, I'm almost positive we headed there as soon as we'd finished eating. The crowds weren't bad at all to my way of thinking. I know we got fastpasses for Test Track and did a couple of other things while we were waiting but the return time wasn't an outrageous amount of time later... probably 3 hours or so. I distinctly remember being pleasantly surprised that there was still fastpasses available since I knew they were sometimes all gone by mid-morning. The rest of the week was very pleasant crowd wise. It's a great time to go in my opinion!

Kelly

This was awhile back, but when we went on our honeymoon 8 years ago, we arrived on MLK Day. We went to Epcot in the afternoon and evening and it was very quiet. The whole week was incredibly awesome- no crowds until our departure day, which was Saturday and we went to MK in the AM. It was getting crowded that day, but the longest wait we had back then was 10 minutes for ToT. I hope the crowds are low for you! :Pinkbounc

Thanks for all the great info...I don't expect it to be too bad, we arrive on Sunday evening, and won't get to a park until Monday morning.

I'm expect some crowds (with most kids off from school) but I'm sure it won't compare to the crowds of Spring break, July and August!

We just decided yesterday to go to Ft Wilderness,we will be arriving on Mon Jan 20th. Hopefully it won't be too crowded. I was there over Fourth of July this year and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

We were there MLK Day 2002 at MK, entered early for character breakfast at CP, hit the Princess Show at the Castle and it was pretty quiet, but people were filtering in. We were in the MK all day long - till after 3pm, and while it was busy, my DH and DS hit Buzz Lightyear 3 times via FP. :p

There were crowds, but not packed and uncomfortable. I'd guess it would be the same. And as someone else posted earlier, crowds got lighter the following days in the week (and it got to 86 degrees on Friday!!).

--diane :jester:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter