How bad are the lines during Thanksgiving?

Ashleybritton

Mouseketeer
We’re planning a trip next year and I’m struggling with deciding our dates. We’re looking at Columbus Day weekend/following week, or the day after thanksgiving to the following Wednesday.

My concerns with going in October is that it’s hurricane season and I would have to use more days off from work...it’s also about $750 more expensive, but at our preferred hotel.

My concerns about thanksgiving week is that the lines will be crazy to the point where we’ll struggle to enjoy it. I’m also worried it will be too cold to enjoy the pool. We would be staying at the contemporary and the pool seems kind of boring, but it would be much cheaper.

My son loves Halloween, but Christmas seems so special.

How are the lines and what would you do?

We’re planning a trip next year and I’m struggling with deciding our dates. We’re looking at Columbus Day weekend/following week, or the day after thanksgiving to the following Wednesday.

My concerns with going in October is that it’s hurricane season and I would have to use more days off from work...it’s also about $750 more expensive, but at our preferred hotel.

My concerns about thanksgiving week is that the lines will be crazy to the point where we’ll struggle to enjoy it. I’m also worried it will be too cold to enjoy the pool. We would be staying at the contemporary and the pool seems kind of boring, but it would be much cheaper.

I have never been during thanksgiving, but we are going this yr so I can report back. But, I have been during October it’s very crowded & usually warmer. I expect crowds this time but really don’t expect it to be much worse than other crowded times when we have been & I’m hoping for cooler weather!

Yes the lines are longer. There is a lot going on during Thanksgiving, though. Weather is beautiful and the atmosphere special. I wish we were going back this year.

Plan your FPS and ADRs and enjoy the parks. If you go in worrying about wait times and crowds you will not enjoy yourself.

We have our FP’s set. Have our dining set ( looks like we ll be eating Italian food instead of turkey, lol).
First time for Thanksgiving week... we ll just enjoy what we can see/do and I’m just Thankful our family will be together!
Enjoy OP...we intend to make the very best of it.

I wouldn't worry about "hurricane season". They're rare at WDW, quite rare. You have a much bigger chance of a bad t-storm, or someone getting sick then getting hit by a hurricane.

Thanksgiving is buy, no way around it. Not as crazy as Xmas, but busy. However, we never waited more than 20 minutes for anything...thanks to FP+. It takes some effort, but you can get one for pretty much anything same day, except FoP. It's a wonderful time of year to go.

As for the weather...it may be warm enough for the pool, it may not. In 2015, it was in the 80s, felt like summer. We were also there just last year, and it wasn't pool weather. It wasn't ice cold, but definitely not "warm".

I'd avoid Thanksgiving week like the plague. It is very, very crowded.

I’m there for first time this year. I recall July 4th years back. Could not move an inch.. we ditched and enjoyed Poly instead. Hopeful that it’s not As bad.. as was happily surprised to get such good FP’s and room... good dining too.. though I’ve never eaten Italian on Thanksgiving.. a new adventure!
having booked rather last minute.. so far so good.. fingers crossed and I’m throwing pixie dust my own way, lol
It’s Disney after all...

I'll be in WDW this Thanksgiving for the first time but was there last Christmas which is considered a bit more crowded. We rope dropped only one day over 2 weeks and that was for FoP (couldn't get a FP to save my life, LOL). The wait time was listed as 2 hours when I entered the line; it was more like an 1-1/2. Most people were infused with the holiday spirit and the time went fast. By noon, we had completed Mt Everest, Kali River Falls (w/FPs), and Maharajah Trek, and decided to head back to the hotel for some pool time. In the late afternoon we ate dinner and went to Epcot for the evening. I never felt like I would lose any of our party or as if we were packed in a subway car. And the only time I had my heel run over by one of those gigonda double strollers was walking the World Showcase during a low crowd day during the summer.
I live in an area where crowds are pretty normal and Disney dinna even come close to bothering me. This might come from living in NYC and being used to crowds.

The Contemporary gives good bang for the buck and I was pleasantly surprised by our stay there as I didn't expect to like the décor much. You can walk to MK, the bus to AK takes about 20 minutes and leaves quite regularly. The monorail to Epcot/HS and points in between runs through the hotel as I'm sure you are aware. Not sure about the boat service as we dinna take any there but easy enough to check. The pools are not as "glitzy" as Poly's or BC/YC's but somehow the kiddos still enjoyed it;). The rooms are well laid out but I wasn't a fan of the terraces; a bit too narrow to sit comfortably for this person w/ height issues. We saved money by opting for a standard view room on one of the CL floors. Could view MK from the lounge, eat a leisurely Continental style breakfast for "free" (it's included in the CL rooms) and nosh on well made appetizers in the evening while watching the fireworks minus anymore crowds than those in the lounge. They also serve free cordials, wine, and brandy, as well as soft drinks. I think the break even point for CL rooms' additional amenities is 5 people in the room but I have no problem justifying the cost for 4, LOL.

I’m there for first time this year. I recall July 4th years back. Could not move an inch.. we ditched and enjoyed Poly instead. Hopeful that it’s not As bad.. as was happily surprised to get such good FP’s and room... good dining too.. though I’ve never eaten Italian on Thanksgiving.. a new adventure!
having booked rather last minute.. so far so good.. fingers crossed and I’m throwing pixie dust my own way, lol
It’s Disney after all...

Not sure when you went for 4th of July, but it's really not that crowded at all. July 3rd and 4th in MK at night are very crowded, but other than that...all the other parks and even MK on other days...isn't bad at all.

You'll love Thanksgiving, it's SO much fun!

Friday after Thanksgiving and Saturday will be packed. 9 or 10 on a scale of 1-10. Sunday will have average moderate crowds, Monday thru Wed. will be very light crowds.

Friday after Thanksgiving and Saturday will be packed. 9 or 10 on a scale of 1-10. Sunday will have average moderate crowds, Monday thru Wed. will be very light crowds.
Agreed that this makes sense and despite what some say about TP's crowd level count and analysis, the holiday time frames seem to be on the money.

We were at Disney for Thanksgiving in 2017. Yes, it was busy, but it really didn't seem that bad. We arrived on Sunday, before Thanksgiving, and went home the Monday after. The day that felt the absolute busiest and crowded was actually the Sunday before Thanksgiving.

We went to MK Thanksgiving day and got a 4th fast pass for something useful before heading to Epcot for dinner. After dinner, we rode Nemo and I'm pretty sure we were the only people on the ride. On Saturday, my daughter and I went to AK to ride FOP, then met my husband and son at Epcot. I managed to get 4th fast passes for Soarin for me and test track for my daughter.

I thought the crowds were manageable. The weather wasn't great. The kids went in the pool, but I just watched. We're from PA, kids can swim if it is above freezing. Thanksgiving day was dreary and cool (upper 60s, maybe?). Other days were well into the 70s and sunny. Hoping it's better this year.

We are headed there for Thanksgiving and I have prepared myself for large crowds. I think if you accept that you will go on your FP rides and maybe only a couple others, you will not be disappointed. I got a subscription to Touring Plans and made customized TPs for each of my days there to hopefully maximize the rides we can do. BUT I am also fully willing to bag the plan and other than go on our FP rides, totally wing the rest. I hear the decorations are awesome and there is a lot to see outside the parks, so I am planning on enjoying touring other resorts (we will be at the Grand Floridian), enjoying Disney Springs and enjoying the restaurants outside the parks. I am also hoping for nice weather since we are coming from Boston and it is already cold here :)

We were at Disney for Thanksgiving in 2017. Yes, it was busy, but it really didn't seem that bad. We arrived on Sunday, before Thanksgiving, and went home the Monday after. The day that felt the absolute busiest and crowded was actually the Sunday before Thanksgiving.

We went to MK Thanksgiving day and got a 4th fast pass for something useful before heading to Epcot for dinner. After dinner, we rode Nemo and I'm pretty sure we were the only people on the ride. On Saturday, my daughter and I went to AK to ride FOP, then met my husband and son at Epcot. I managed to get 4th fast passes for Soarin for me and test track for my daughter.

I thought the crowds were manageable. The weather wasn't great. The kids went in the pool, but I just watched. We're from PA, kids can swim if it is above freezing. Thanksgiving day was dreary and cool (upper 60s, maybe?). Other days were well into the 70s and sunny. Hoping it's better this year.

We're from PA & no way we're swimming unless it's in the 80's, otherwise brrrrrr…….

This will be our third thanksgiving week trip in a row (so obviously with that being said,can’t be too bad!)
Crowds are heavy and lines are long. We make a game out of guessing wait times as we walk by. FOP was over 4 hours last year. Even rides like small world will be long 60+. We went on very few rides using the stand by line (usually only right after park opening or during fireworks at MK). We used our fast passes to our advantage. As soon as we used 3rd one, I was on my phone selecting another. Fast pass lines will also get long (where they stand with signs directing you where the line ends but it generally moves fast). We got on every ride we wanted and have not felt like we’ve missed out on anything. Looking forward to our trip in 29 days!

The Holidays at Disney are crowded... okay with that said.

Plan your FP's and ADR's to your advantage. This is were some major planning comes into focus, grouping things into one area will save time, and you will get more done, no running back and forth across the parks.

Use EMH to your advantage.... maybe go with rope drop on morning and move commando style through the park. Then one night make it a late night and sleep in the next day.

You can get away from the parks and check out the decorations in the deluxe hotels, search for hidden mickey, horse back or sleigh rides at Fort Wilderness.

Epcot has Christmas around the world with different customs and telling of the Christmas story, as well there is Christmas Processional with the guest speaker reading the Christmas story. They do offer a dinner package for this, and we do it every year...

Have you thought about checking our other sites in Orlando such as ICE at Gaylord Palms, There are lots of Christmas things going on concerts, check the Amway Center to see what's happening when your here.

Disney Springs, there will be lots of entertainment all over the place, Santa will be on hand, and the Christmas tree trail.

Think about doing the single rider lines if your kids are old enough and if you are okay riding separately.

Have a wonderful time planning.

This upcoming trip will also be our first Thanksgiving, but we are leaving on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. I am so jealous, because the crowd levels drop dramatically on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. (We are pulling our kids Tuesday and Wednesday before Thanksgiving, so that's the tradeoff... but Wednesday before Thanksgiving is reportedly a 10 on Touring Plans.

I am not expecting we do much more than our FP and enjoy seeing Christmas decorations. And eating...

I am not expecting we do much more than our FP and enjoy seeing Christmas decorations. And eating...

Spread your FP's out a bit thru the day. Plan on going on smaller rides that rarely have long lines in between. See shows. Go on the animal trail walks at Animal Kingdom. Take the leisurely boat ride from Disney Springs to Port Orleans for lunch. Lots of great things to do to make the day great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter