How are the water levels?

Tabetha

DIS Veteran
I'm wondering if anyone's been on the ferry boats lately, and if the water levels are ok to allow ECVs on the ferries?

My mom's coming to visit with her ECV, and we're staying at Ft. Wilderness, so I'm hoping the water levels are ok.

Most of the boats at WDW do not have any trouble with water levels for ECVs. The only ones that I have heard can be a problem are at Wilderness Lodge and Ft. Wilderness.

The large Ferry Boat between the parking lot and Magic Kingdom never has a problem with water levels.

The friendship boats on the Epcot/MGM run never have a problem with water levels

The Sassagoula Ferries never have a problem with water levels.

The smaller launches between MK and Polynesian, and Grand Floridian are not accessible, but there is always the monorail.

The smaller launch between Ft. Wilderness, Contemporary, and Wilderness Lodge is not accessible, but there is a larger boat between Ft. Wilderness, Wilderness Lodge, and Magic Kingdom that is accessible. That is the only boat that sometimes has water level problems. Also, that may have mostly gone away, because they have discontinued the bus that runs from Ft. Wilderness to Wilderness Lodge to TTC.

There is a bus that goes from Wilderness Lodge directly to Magic Kingdom.

If you need to get from Ft. Wilderness to Magic Kingdom and the water levels won't accomodate you, then ask at Guest Services for a ride, or take the path from Ft. Wilderness to Wilderness Lodge and take the direct bus to Magic Kingdom.

I hope this helped.

Carol

carol the epcot resorts did have a water problem when WDW had that had drought several years ago.

when any resorts can't get you there on the boat - they can do it with a bus (and will)

I didn't realize that about the Epcot resorts. We rarely take the Epcot boats as it is faster for hubby to ride the scooter and me walk.

Carol

What I was told by a CM is that the big lake by MK is difficult to manage the water levels. They have some canals where they can add or drain off water, but because the lake holds so much water, it's really hard to impact the water level. They just can't add or subtract enough to make much of a difference. Some of the docks are more adaptable to changing water levels. The ones at WL are not.
Epcot area and the waterways connected to DD rarely have a problem because they have a large canal system connected to them. So, by adding or subtracting a relatively small amount of water, they can keep the water in the boat paths consistent. But, if there was a really severe/long drought, there just might not be enough water to add.

If the boats are not useable, there is always another way.

Perfect. I'll be sure to ask about it when we check in.
That's my reconnaissance mission - to save us time and frustration later in the trip!

Sue - WL docks (bay lake) connects to the Mk resorts (seven seas lagoon) through the canal.

I would think if one had a problem so would the other.

the only time I knew that WDW had a problem was with all their docks - during that drought a few years ago.

no ships/boats were working - even the ferry was dry docked.

they won't give you water in the restuarants.

Actually, a boat CM told me that the docks are different.
The one for TTC to MK has a deeper channel cut for it and is a different type of dock (if I remember right, it is free floating). The one at WL is not as deep and is sort of semi-free floating.
They did dig out the channel for the MK/TTC dock a few years ago, but the one at WL is still the same as it was, so it is sometimes a problem. When it is a problem, there are signs placed at the entrance area to the dock at WL and also at MK where you get on the boat to go back to WL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter