Houston to Disney

zoo2tycoon

DIS Veteran
Looking at options. DS has internship in Houston that ends on a Friday in August. We have reservations starting Monday at Polynesian. I've looked at airfare and it's high~ him flying from Houston and me from Indiana (meeting up at MCO and renting a car). I've looked at us quickly driving back to Indy and flying out of airports nearby (Cincinnati, Chicago,Dayton along with IND and FWA). Still over $650.

He will have his car in Houston. Looking at driving from Houston to Orlando ~ enjoying week then driving home. I know the Indy to Orlando trip. How is it from Houston to Orlando? His friend can bring most of his stuff home ( basically he will just have clothes as VRBO they have for summer is fully equipped).

We are really leaning towards driving but not sure of Houston to Orlando. We would stay offsite and get to Polynesian early Monday morning to have full day at park.

Houston to WDW is pretty much all highway. A few possible congestion spots along the way; getting out of Houston, going through Baton Rouge, going through Mobile and possibly around Tallahassee on I-10.

Total drive time according to Google is about 14 hours. Most of those boring hours. :car:

We live in Houston. I have a lot of friends who've driven to Disney from Houston. As the previous poster mentioned, it's a lot of highways... so nothing scenic - just boring. I, personally, have never driven as we always fly (my husband is impatient and 2.5 hours in a plane doesn't "kill" him"), but I wouldn't be opposed to driving if I had two or three drivers to rotate driving.

I just moved from WDW to Houston last year, had drove the route about 6 times. Like it has been said before, I10 is like a very boring NASCAR race. Most everyone drives at high speeds, and hardly any accidents. If you start early enough, you can miss ALL traffic congestion times in all the cities. 14 hours is about right, as of course you have to factor in fuel time, and possible stretch time. Route would be as follows from Houston to WDW: I10 east out of Houston until you hit Tallahassee, then get on I75 South, look for where you get off for the Florida turnpike (take small bills and quarters!!!), then on too toll road 429 (Quarters and small bills!), then you get the back way into WDW by DAK and Coronado Springs!

I just moved from WDW to Houston last year, had drove the route about 6 times. Like it has been said before, I10 is like a very boring NASCAR race. Most everyone drives at high speeds, and hardly any accidents. If you start early enough, you can miss ALL traffic congestion times in all the cities. 14 hours is about right, as of course you have to factor in fuel time, and possible stretch time. Route would be as follows from Houston to WDW: I10 east out of Houston until you hit Tallahassee, then get on I75 South, look for where you get off for the Florida turnpike (take small bills and quarters!!!), then on too toll road 429 (Quarters and small bills!), then you get the back way into WDW by DAK and Coronado Springs!

Thank you!! Directions great

Appreciate all the replies.

We live about 5 1/2 hours south of Houston and have driven to WDW several times. One of the biggest potential back ups is going across the Mississippi River in Baton Rouge. At least you're not going during football season! Yes, it's probably about 14 1/2 hours from Houston.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter