HotWire - Airfare Experiences?

BethR

<font color=red>On Thread Killer Patrol<br><font c
I just checked and I can save over $40 on a round trip ticket from Pittsburgh to Orlando with Hotwire. I chose no red-eye and only jet travel. But you cannot find out the times or airlines until you pay for your ticket. I do not care what airlines, but it is the time thing that I am concerned about.
I was thinking that IF the flight arrived at night and left early in the AM, that would cut 2 days off of my trip. So I don't know that I am willing to gamble for $45.

What do you all think?

I'd look for $45 savings elsewhere - in your meals or your hotel or souvies. Too much
of a risk to chop off 2 days for that *relatively* small amount.

TxAg

I haven't used Hotwire, but I have gotten airfare to Orlando several times with Priceline. One time my plane arrived in Orlando after midnight and left Orlando at 9 in the morning! That COULD happen to you.

Now that you know the total price on Hotwire, you can probably beat that price on Priceline - after taking into account the taxes and Priceline fee. If you decide to go with either Hotwire or Priceline, I'd add an extra day on either or both ends of the trip - just in case. If you haven't checked it recently - go to www.biddingfortravel.com for more info.

We used Hotwire for a flight from MDW (Chicago) to MCO in November, 2001. We had a late afternoon flight on the way out and an early afternoon flight on the way back with a stopover in Ohio on each leg of the trip (which we barely made - the plane landed at 6:32 p.m. and we had to be at the other side of the airport at 6:45 p.m. with three kids). We've decided to use ATA or SW for future trips because they fly direct and it's not worth the hassle with 3 kids.

IMHO it's not worth saving "a little" - now if it was $150-$200 I might consider it, LOL.

Thanks guys for your thoughts. I completely agree with what you have all said - that was what my "gut" had told me too.
If I go, I will spend the $45 extra and just skip a few meals! :D

BTW, I've monitored Hotwire and Priceline both a good bit for fares, and I have personally never seen an instance where you could get a better fare on Hotwire than on Priceline. As far as I can tell, Priceline always wins (I'm sure there's an exception somewhere, but...).

Depending on how many tickets you have to buy, it might be worth trying a low bid on Priceline, and either getting there a day early, or staying a day longer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter