hotels out of San Francisco near BART?

disykat

This person totally gets me
We are passing through the bay area this summer on vacation. We plan on just spending one day in San Francisco. I was thinking it might be economical to stay somewhere on the outskirts near a BART station in a basic "motor inn" type hotel. Any ideas?

I can't answer your question except to recommend that you look at www.tripadvisor.com and look up san francisco. There are actually so many hotels in SF proper that you might be able to find a good rate right in the city.

I actually got a deal of $116/nite at the Hilton SF later this week. There were definitely less expensive motor inn type places available too, but they need to be booked more in advance than I was making plans. Check out some of the motor inns in the Lombard Street area.

Thanks. I really wanted to try to avoid having to drive and park downtown and thought the outskirts, near a freeway and a bart stop would be a solution. We're only planning on spending one long day (two nights) and won't be needing a car that day if we can take the transit.

Hi! East Bay resident and former BART commuter here. :wave2: I guess it depends where you're headed after SF. If you're coming down Hwy. 5, for convenience sake you could stay near the Dublin/Pleasanton station which is by 580, only a short hop from 5. I'm not sure how long the ride into SF is from there. I've stayed at the Embassy Suites by the Pleasant Hill station. The hotel is just a crosswalk away from BART - very convenient. It's probably about a 45 min. ride into SF from PH. Walnut Creek is one stop closer in toward the City and has a motor lodge within walking distance to BART on Main St. & Ygnacio Valley Rd. The Marriott in WC is also walking distance to BART. Walnut Creek has a nice, safe downtown area with lots of shops & restaurants and a free shuttle that loops around from BART to all the shopping.

On the other hand, if you're going to be cruising down the coast, you might want to stay on the Peninsula. I'm not familiar with what's around those stations.

There's also the Marriott (on Broadway) and Courtyard by Marriott (on 9th St) in downtown Oakland. And the 12th Street BART station is a block away.

BART goes down to SFO Airport, so if you aren't concerned about commute time into the city (I think its between 40 minutes and an hour) there are a ton of nice hotels at decent prices in this area. Most of the hotels have airport shuttles and you can pick up BART right at the terminal. The ride into the city is nice and very easy. We used Hotwire and got the airport Hyatt for around $100, and I'm sure there were more reasonable options available too, depending on what you're looking for :-).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter