Hotels at SDL

disney144

Mouseketeer
Heading to SDL at the end of our honeymoon in April. We would love to stay at the Disneyland hotel but are having trouble justifying the cost for three nights. For those that stayed at both hotels, what differences did you notice? How did the process work for transferring between them? What hours does the boat run? Is the disneyland hotel "worth" the extra cost?

There is really no comparison between the two hotels. The Disneyland Hotel is a huge step above the Toy Story in terms of luxury and beauty. I also received much better customer service at the Disneyland Hotel, but that could have just been coincidence, or it could have been because I was staying club level. It's also a beautiful walk to the park through the gardens. I actually didn't use the ferry, but I believe it runs closer in line with park hours than the bus does, so if you plan to arrive at the gates very early for rope drop (or heading to Disney Town for brekky etc), or plan to hang around at the park for as long as possible at closing time, you might find the bus is your only option. I would definitely say it's a worthwhile splurge and, being your honeymoon, you may want to consider spending your whole time there.

Having said that, I also had a very enjoyable stay at the Toy Story Hotel. It was very comfortable and so much fun! The buses are very convenient and easy to get around on.

I would consider staying the first 2 nights at the Toy Story Hotel to save money, then transfer to the Disneyland Hotel for your last night to leave on a high. If you wanted to make it more worth the cost, just make sure you spend more time at the hotel that night. Maybe you could have a nice meal at Aurora, then watch the fireworks from the rooftop viewing deck, or enjoy them over an adult beverage at Bacchus Lounge. Without having to deal with the crowds, you might find that it's even more magical and romantic than being in the park! The process for luggage transfer was very easy - I just told them I was going to stay at the other hotel that night and left my luggage in their care while I went to the park, then picked it up when I checked in at the Toy Story Hotel that afternoon.

Definitely make sure that you tell them you're on your honeymoon. Of course, you can never expect anything, but you may just find yourself with an upgrade or some other pixie dust :goodvibes

Not sure if you've been following my TR (in my signature), but I've uploaded a few photos of the Disneyland Hotel, including the walk to the park through the gardens. Haven't got to the Toy Story Hotel yet, but photos of that will be coming too :thumbsup2

Thank you for the input, Zanzibar. I have been following your TR (and loving every second of it). I'm thinking the hours may be shorter when we are there, so it may be worth having a nicer place to stay. We arrive late (midnight) on the first night. Maybe we will stay at the toy story hotel or an airport hotel that night, then head to the disneyland hotel the next day.

Yeah I definitely wouldn't bother to spend the money on the Disneyland Hotel if you're not arriving until midnight. I think it would be worth making your way straight to the Toy Story Hotel though, so that you're already onsite and surrounded by that Disney magic as soon as you wake up :thumbsup2 It's only a short taxi ride from the airport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter