hotel reservation - did I wait too long or not long enough

cathyge

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

DH and I are going to Universal this fall (first week of Oct.). Current hotel prices at the three premier/deluxe resorts are high and space seems limited or non available at all for standard rooms. I wasn't sure if we were going to both be able to take time off work so I waited before looking into making reservations.

Two reasons for looking at the deluxe resorts: 1) 20th Anniversary trip, 2) Express Pass.

I'm a bit disappointed because I don't usually have to pay rack rates when we travel to Orlando. I usually wait for a discount for WDW, but I also start planning way in advance.

Did I wait too long, or might they offer an early fall discount?

I wouldn't expect a basic hotel discount for Universal properties in the fall. Horror Nights is peak time. Consider getting an annual pass and booking a hotel with an annual pass holder discount. You don't need one for both of you, just one of you is fine. A seasonal annual pass isn't much more than a multi-day ticket, and your hotel and dining discounts can more than make up the cost. It pays for itself. You don't need to buy the pass ahead of time to book, just get it and present it at some point during your stay.

Loews does not need to give out hotel deals for certain time periods during the year.
Some events fill the hotels up early at the lower prices.

HHN is one time period that helps fill the rooms

There are many conventions going on in the fall which blocks out # of rooms
When a convention is cancelled some months out from the deadline to do so, that is the one time you do see decent room prices at the premier and preferred onsite hotels.

I booked my fall stay at the premier hotel last year.
Prices were very good back then and they stayed at an affordable price up to the end of the year.
Noticed room prices started to increase about 3 months back

Hi all,

DH and I are going to Universal this fall (first week of Oct.). Current hotel prices at the three premier/deluxe resorts are high and space seems limited or non available at all for standard rooms. I wasn't sure if we were going to both be able to take time off work so I waited before looking into making reservations.

Two reasons for looking at the deluxe resorts: 1) 20th Anniversary trip, 2) Express Pass.

I'm a bit disappointed because I don't usually have to pay rack rates when we travel to Orlando. I usually wait for a discount for WDW, but I also start planning way in advance.

Did I wait too long, or might they offer an early fall discount?

As others have said, you might have waited too long - Universal is at peak time in Oct due to Halloween Horror Nights.

If you are set on Universal, could you try for November?

If you can afford a one night charge to make a reservation, I'd make it as far out as you can. Room only has a full refund until 5 days before first arriving. I've had to cancel as planned changed, or better rate found, and have always received my refund, as I always cancel before the 5 day before.

Check the AP rates on the HHN page. If you have an AP, even the lowest cost one, you can enjoy AP rates at the hotels. The other day, I did get SF at an AP rate this beginning of October, that was better than my SMSM rate I had booked months ago. The rest of my October stay, I am at RPR, and like Mac, booked RPR almost a year ago, at the SMSM rate. Why am I at SF for a few days before checking into RPR? Well, I waited for awhile to decide I wanted a few more nights at Universal rather than Disney, and poof, if I changed my prior reservation to those additional days, I would have lost my long ago SMSM rate I had. Hence, first booked SF at a SMSM rate. Then, when HHN page went live, a few weeks ago, found that AP rate, and cancelled my SMSM rated room.

Undercovertourist also sells Universal rooms reservations. While you pay up front on their website, they are actual Loews reservations, so you can get your payment back, if cancel before 5 days of check in date. I have cancelled on their website, and was given the refund, and I have also stayed using reservations booked on their website.

Keep checking, as sometimes rooms open up.

But I agree, that time of year, many come for HHN. I also have seen quite a few conventions there as well. And, it also close to the time, many schools start they fall break.

Since RPR is the more convention hotel, and HRH has the least amount of rooms, some of the time, I find PBH a cheaper room rate. Maybe check all three each time, to see if you can get a rate you will book at.

And congratulations on upcoming 20 years of marriage.

Finally, yes, we like to be spoiled most of the time too, the unlimited express pass hotel room card, is why we tend to stay at RPR and PBH.

You might want to look at Costco Travel, and keep checking. I snagged a great rate last week that is nowhere to be seen now. Flight RT from Boston, 5 nights at the Portofino, King Bayview room (it is our 30th anniversary) and 2 of the the "3-Park, 2-Day + 3 Days Free" park to park tickets for $2,693, including tax - I figured out that ended up being about $298 average a night (including tax) for the room. I just checked and the rate for the exact same room with tickets and flight is about $700 more. I know that flights can change, so I checked the exact same package without flights, and the total cost is about what I paid (but mine includes the flights). You need to pay to be a Costco member, but I've found that it is totally worth it, even if you don't have a Costco near you, as the savings on the trips, and the "cash back" cards (I will receive a $155 card) can be used online. Personally, we find that just buying the Kirkland coffee makes it worth the cost of a membership.

Edit: I just ran the numbers again, because I had miscalculated something small;

Flights cost: $516.44 total for the two of us.
Tickets cost: $724.20 (based on Universal online prices - includes tax, for the two of us)
Hotel room cost: $1452.59
at 5 nights = $290.518 a night ( = base price of $258.24 + $32.28 tax, per night)

Last edited:

I just ran your numbers on the Costco Travel site - I put in the dates of October 3rd through October 8th - 5 nights, no flights. The 3 park park to park tickets (buy 2, get 3 free) - you get a King Garden View with the tickets for $2,709. The tickets, including tax, cost 724.20 (using the Universal Orlando ticket prices) - that leaves $1,984.80 for the hotel room, which includes the tax. This makes the room average $396.96 a night, including tax.

Which = a room cost per night of $352.85 and room tax of $44.11 (at 12.5%).

The Universal cost is $388 a night + $48.50 tax = $436.50 a night. That is an almost $40 a night difference. With Costco you would also get a Costco "cash card" back of $196. I have the Executive membership, and the credit card, so I also get 2% for one, and 3% for the other. I'm going to Universal for the first time in August, and our Costco membership is worth it for this trip alone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter