Hotel credit card holds

AussieNSW

Mouseketeer
I just wanted to remind those of us who are travelling about credit card holds. We travel regularly overseas but it still annoys me and I feel it is getting worse. At the moment we are in Vancouver and I have over $5500 worth of holds on my card. It means I have had to put extra money on my card to cover it. What really angers me is they put the amount of your stay on hold plus an amount just in case and then when you leave you have to pay for the room again. For a period of time you have double the amount that you cannot access on your credit card. I know it is still there and it will become avaliable again eventually. It is the eventually that is frustrating me. It really starts to add up when you are moving around 3 days here 3 days there. So far I have 2 hotels worth soon to be 3 in a few hours. It has been over a week and it states it can be a lot longer depending on the hotel, your bank and the credit card company.
This is just a reminder for those of you travel soon. I had better stop typing before I get carried away as this is an issue that really upsets me.
Ready to pack up and walk down to our Alaskian cruise and hoping the holds will be off at the end of the cruise ready to get more hotels put on for the rest of our trip.

It can take up to 30 days to get the hold to clear. I was staying at a Residence Inn in Anaheim for 4 months and they worked with me to make sure that I didn't have a hold on my credit card. They always kept a credit in my hotel account, so had the card on record, but I paid for a certain number of days upfront and a couple of days before those prepaid days came to an end, I would go to reception and she would charge another 10 days of room charges. Worked well. So some hotels can work with you to avoid the hold when you explain the situation to them.

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't realise they held double the amount. I'm a bit confused now, maybe I should increase our credit limit just to be on the safe side.

We are currently in the states and the company who is causing me the most problems is the Hilton chain and all their brands. During our trip we have stayed at some other companies which are more expensive and they have used the hold as the payment so no double dipping. It depends on the company it is best to ask when you check in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!