Hot take: Magic Mornings are overrated

I think getting to the parks as early as possible is always important if you want to ride as many attractions as possible. Is it less of an advantage if its later in the morning? Probably so but it is still a very valuable hour.

We use magic mornings to hit up Star Tours and Space Mountain (normally twice), my daughter hits up Matterhorn, then we all head over to Pirates right after it opens. My son and husband love pirates that early because they get to do it like 3 times in 20 minutes. Not having to wait forever for Star Tours and Space Mountain (or Use fast passes for them) is completely worth it for us

We use magic mornings to hit up Star Tours and Space Mountain (normally twice), my daughter hits up Matterhorn, then we all head over to Pirates right after it opens. My son and husband love pirates that early because they get to do it like 3 times in 20 minutes. Not having to wait forever for Star Tours and Space Mountain (or Use fast passes for them) is completely worth it for us
POTC is my favorite ride, and I know what you are saying, but the ride lasts 16 minutes. So three rides would take a minimum of 48 minutes. I have never done that myself but it sounds like fun!

:wizard:

[QUOTE="LizzyS, post: 60228552, member: 398643"
Quick question- do you still show them your room key card for EMH entry?

When we stayed on site in November they said we only needed to show 1 key because they were no longer printing individual names on keys. Things are always changing though.[/QUOTE]
We were there 12/21-25 and all 12 of us had to show room key and 1/19-21 both dh and I had to all show key.

Both dates they had just my name printed. I liked when they had individual names.

My wife and I do Star Tours and Space Mountain along with most of the fantasy land rides except Peter Pan. I would love to do Matterhorn 3 times but I would be laid up with a bad back for the rest of the day!!

When we stayed on site in November they said we only needed to show 1 key because they were no longer printing individual names on keys. Things are always changing though.
We were there 12/21-25 and all 12 of us had to show room key and 1/19-21 both dh and I had to all show key.

Both dates they had just my name printed. I liked when they had individual names.[/QUOTE]
Lol, this is exactly why I said things are always changing. They didn’t even give us a key for everyone staying in the room! I kinda figured that wouldn’t last long!

I’ve thought a lot about if Magic Mornings are worth it for my family. We used to be able to get there 30-60 minutes before MM started and with a 7am opening we really could get ALOT done in that first hour. A 9am MM just feels like a regular park opening to me. We are often traveling with friends now and we seem to only make it in time for half of the MM. We still seem to be able to get on 2 or 3 rides with half of a MM. That’s 2 or 3 rides we wouldn’t have gotten on otherwise. Works for us. I do understand why some people feel they are overrated and over crowded though.

So between waiting to actually get in the park, then waiting for rope drop, then waiting in the queue, I think my total wait time is 45min-1 hr for PP anyways.

This. While you can make the argument about maxing out useable park hours, the morning wait for PP is the same....just a queue moved to the front of the park.

POTC is my favorite ride, and I know what you are saying, but the ride lasts 16 minutes. So three rides would take a minimum of 48 minutes. I have never done that myself but it sounds like fun!

We did this once a couple of year ago during the 2nd showing of Fantasmic. 3 times in a row on POTC. It was awesome and so much fun. We still talk about it!

This. While you can make the argument about maxing out useable park hours, the morning wait for PP is the same....just a queue moved to the front of the park.

To me though the time before the park opens I'm usually eating breakfast and the park isn't open so I'd be waiting somewhere, once the park opens I get through lines quickly and get lots done so yes while I waited an hour before the park opened it was a better use of an hour waiting vs standing in line somewhere after the park opened - I used that hour to ride multiple rides and start pulling MaxPass

Tuesday MM are the worst, too.

I think MM can sometimes work out (certainly people report doing “all of Fantasyland” or whatever sometimes), but overall, I agree that they are not that worthwhile.

Wednesday rope drop is the prime Fantasyland time of the week.

Well crap I just saw this post! I feel like is opposite or what I was planning in April. Should I not do MM?

Well crap I just saw this post! I feel like is opposite or what I was planning in April. Should I not do MM?

Each person has their own unique experience. For our family, MM are absolutely worth it and we get so much more done in that hour. Last time we went, my husband and 2 daughters walked into Star Tours *twice* while I walked into Buzz with our son. Then we rode Astro Orbiters, made our way over and rode the teacups with only one go around ahead of us and then could easily go on Dumbo. I’m not sure of the exact time frame of where our rides cut off and the park opened for everyone, but I do know it was awesome!

I mean, an extra hour is an extra hour! It’s more a matter of people showing up and expecting it to be empty when it’s not. It’s not that it’s not worth doing, just that it’s often not quite what people expect. Especially on Tuesdays.

EMH over at DCA, on the other hand, is glorious.

With the title here, it sounds like you went one day and made this conclusion "Magic Mornings are overrated"?

So if you go to DLR one day and it happens to rain that day, is the conclusion "Hot Take: The weather for DLR is overrated - it rains too much"?

As you know Ive been going back and forth with being worried about our trip and what to do. After reading this Im feeling its opposite or other advice Ive gotten. Would you say us doing MM at 7am is a good thing? Id think less people will be inclined to be there that early? We will be skipping PP as its not priority to us and would rather not waste our time on that ride since we go to DW often, even if its slightly different I don't really care lol ... Id rather hit all the other FL rides that we've never ridden before. And we won't do Nemo either first thing as I read that takes up to much time.

Don't get upset because someone decided to blow off steam about a totally subjective experience! Have the majority of people here been saying to just forget about your EE/EMH/MM because it will be a miserable loss and waste of time?? Uh, that would be "no"! Then someone comes along to disagree or to complain... why should that skew your planning? Let them complain all they want. Their negativity should have no effect on your great trip -- if anything, it might help if it keeps more complainers out of the parks first thing in the morning! :)

Really, you are overreacting to things that are minor issues in the big picture. If Tuesday was my best day for MM, I would not hesitate for a moment to use it. Don't worry about. Really! :)

Remember, Breathe! Deep breaths! And just keep swimming! You're going to be fine, your family is going to have a great time at DLR, and you all are going to make wonderful memories on this trip! :)

Last edited:
As you know Ive been going back and forth with being worried about our trip and what to do. After reading this Im feeling its opposite or other advice Ive gotten...
See my post to you above! One person's argument doesn't change the wisdom and experience of a LOT of DIS veterans... That person's experience is valid -- but that doesn't automatically mean that it will be your experience, too. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Don't get upset because someone decided to blow off steam about a totally subjective experience! Have the majority of people here been saying to just forget about your EE/EMH/MM because it will be a miserable loss and waste of time?? Uh, that would be "no"! Then someone comes along to disagree or to complain... why should that skew your planning? Let them complain all they want. Their negativity should have no effect on your great trip -- if anything, it might help if it keeps more complainers out of the parks first thing in the morning! :)

Remember, Breathe! Deep breaths! And just keep swimming! You're going to be fine, your family is going to have a great time at DLR, and you all are going to make wonderful memories on this trip! :)

ok ok ... Sorry sitting in the target Starbucks browsing with 100 things on my mind and I see this haha ... I do think 7am MM is a bit different than a EMH later in the morning .... We'll make our plan stick with it and go with the flow. Like Ive said before we'll have no issue getting to the parks early. We won't be using time on PP either so hopefully like people said majority still go there first thing! Someone had said at one point their route for FL in the morning and I liked it and looking at the map made the most since without back tracking!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have found you bring your experience with you when you arrive at the park - if you are expecting it to be crowded and that you are going to have an awful time then guess what - you probably will.

If you show up with managed expectations that you are going to have fun and just manage what comes your way with patience then you will have a blast!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter