Hot take: Magic Mornings are overrated

I'll be honest, I'm inclined to agree with you. I've had MM on Ghost Town days, but showing up 15-30 minutes before MM begins there were still long lines to get into the park. Then everyone lines up and sprints into Fantasyland and seems to head straight to PP. So between waiting to actually get in the park, then waiting for rope drop, then waiting in the queue, I think my total wait time is 45min-1 hr for PP anyways.

Every other ride I enjoy in Fantasyland is a short wait even on pretty crowded days with the exception of Alice.

Heading to Space Mountain and basically walking on has proven to be a pretty good strategy when I've had MM, but even then it's basically two rides (Alice or Space Mountain, and it has to be one or the other cause the other one will have a decent queue by the time I'm done with the first) that I'm hitting up. So not too worth it for me to be honest.

I've even stopped going for rope drop for regular admission. I try to show up about 15-20 minutes later, there's no line to get in, but the lines for rides don't seem to be too crazy yet.

Tuesday MM are the worst, too.

I think MM can sometimes work out (certainly people report doing “all of Fantasyland” or whatever sometimes), but overall, I agree that they are not that worthwhile.

Wednesday rope drop is the prime Fantasyland time of the week.

I’ve had two 7 am MM and felt they were both very worth it. One was the week between Christmas and New Years and the other was the Saturday after thanksgiving.

We did show up very early though- about 6am for 7am opening and were like 3rd in line for security and first in line at the turnstile.

Strategy plays into too. Casey from Disneyland daily reccomends going to tomorrow land first since everyone else is heading to fantasy land. This has worked out great for us.

I wonder if one variable that can make it worth it or not is how often you are able to visit the parks. I only go once a year and I would rather be waiting at the gates on MM with coffee in my hand than sleeping in. It is part of the fun for me to get to the gates very early, be one of the first, wait to get in and then wait again for rd!

Attachments

• C0777DD5-9BAC-46C4-84D8-03CC3AA0057D.jpeg
    C0777DD5-9BAC-46C4-84D8-03CC3AA0057D.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 33
I totally disagree. We have had amazing luck with MM, if you don't take up your time on PP, since that is where most people go, it swallows up most of the early goers, even though the lines at the gates are still long. We do almost every other ride in Fantasyland in 45 mins, with time to get to Space before MM ends. There is no other time during the day you can get all of FL done in 45 mins. None!!

Of course the earlier MMs are better, but we have still gotten the above done, no matter what time the MM starts.

I'm really surprised that people don't do well with MM. Maybe it depends on what you choose to ride. We do the 7AM MM for 8AM opening most of the time when we have MM and get to the promenade about 30-45 minutes before rope drop, so maybe it's the difference a later opening time makes. Either way, we usually ride almost everything in FL or TL within that first hour, or at least everything that's open. You also have to know what's worth wasting your MM on though. Like, Peter Pan will have a long wait. We skip it. But most of the other stuff is a quick 5-10 minute wait.

We do the same thing for a 7am MM. We got to the gate 30 Minutes before and had the place to ourselves. We hit everything except PP and then go to space mountain. We are staying off site this trip so no early entry so our plan is non EMH parks for rope drop.

We've went with family who stayed on-site while we stayed off-site. They did EMH (or is it MM?) one time - got in line at the turnstiles, got into the park, went into FL and then came right back out and joined us in line for CA that morning. They were first timers and were so overwhelmed by all the people and lines that they didn't even try it. I've never felt like we've missed anything by not having it, as we can normally knock out all our favorites without much wait throughout the day.

They did EMH (or is it MM?) one time - got in line at the turnstiles, got into the park, went into FL and then came right back out and joined us in line for CA that morning. They were first timers and were so overwhelmed by all the people and lines that they didn't even try it.

That’s just sad.

The early hour has always been worth it for me, except for the one time we hit Nemo during it. Mistake!

With only Fantasyland and Tomorrowland open, the lines are longer than they will be later in the day. I prefer mornings without them.
With the title here, it sounds like you went one day and made this conclusion "Magic Mornings are overrated"?

So if you go to DLR one day and it happens to rain that day, is the conclusion "Hot Take: The weather for DLR is overrated - it rains too much"?

I love MM/EMH, but yeah, the later it is, the more people drag out of bed and utilize it. We're staying at DLH for our upcoming trip and I'm looking forward to it again at both parks!

Quick question- do you still show them your room key card for EMH entry?

As others have noted, the earlier MM starts the better it is. No matter what time of year, a 7:00 MM is going to be pretty magical. We always skip Peter Pan because it wastes the hour, but a flight on Dumbo in the cool morning air looking over an empty park is wonderful. We also enjoy hitting the Alice ride and teacups that early. Then we head to Tomorrowland for a couple of spins on Buzz before hitting Space Mountain at opening.

The best early entry is 7:00 am at DCA, but 7:00 at DL is also pretty darn great.

[QUOTE="LizzyS, post: 60228552, member: 398643"
Quick question- do you still show them your room key card for EMH entry?[/QUOTE]

When we stayed on site in November they said we only needed to show 1 key because they were no longer printing individual names on keys. Things are always changing though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!