HOT & keeping cool

SeansMom

DIS Veteran
Does anybody feel the cooling towels are worthwhile? If so, what brand?

Also, did anybody use any of those misting fans?

What about the UV parasols?

Personally, I dislike the heat but have an August conference. After that heat wave, I want to be prepared!

Thanks for any branding advice!

I have never been to DL (going in August for the first time), so I can't speak to the heat in CA, but I've been to WDW many times. Our last trip was June of 2017, and it was plenty hot! We used Mission cooling towels, and I highly recommend them for beating the heat. Every morning before we left our hotel room, I would soak one for each family member with cool water (I got 4 different colors, so each family member used the same one every day of our trip) and I put each cooling towel in a separate ziploc bag. They didn't take up much space in the family backpack; we pulled them out as needed, and snapped them (put an end of the towel in each hand and pulled the towel in opposite directions) 2 or 3 times, and the towel cooled considerably. You can wrap them around your neck, drape them over your head, or whatever feels best. The best part is you can bring them into a bathroom and re-wet them with cold water and snap them over and over again throughout the day. Each night, I would take them out of the ziploc bags and hang them up; they dry quickly that way, and then they would be ready for use the next day. If you're doing a load of laundry while on vacation, you can throw them in and they wash up really well too.

I've gotten them at Target in the athletic/sporting goods section, and at Dunham's Sporting Goods. I'm sure you can find the Mission towels lots of places, but those were the stores close to home for me.

Good luck staying cool!!

Our last WDW trip was a few years ago in August. It was hot and humid the whole time. What worked best for me was carrying one of the little washcloths that they sell in the park gift shops. I would wet one down every morning and put it in a ziplock bag with some ice. It was small enough to fit in my purse. I would occasionally take it out and wipe down my face a neck, then use a little handheld fan to get the evaporative cooling effect. It cools you down pretty quickly. I added more ice to the baggie whenever we stopped for drinks or meals. That little washcloth was my lifeline during that trip! I found it to be a lot easier to carry than a larger cooling towel.

I have never been to DL (going in August for the first time), so I can't speak to the heat in CA, but I've been to WDW many times. Our last trip was June of 2017, and it was plenty hot! We used Mission cooling towels, and I highly recommend them for beating the heat. Every morning before we left our hotel room, I would soak one for each family member with cool water (I got 4 different colors, so each family member used the same one every day of our trip) and I put each cooling towel in a separate ziploc bag. They didn't take up much space in the family backpack; we pulled them out as needed, and snapped them (put an end of the towel in each hand and pulled the towel in opposite directions) 2 or 3 times, and the towel cooled considerably. You can wrap them around your neck, drape them over your head, or whatever feels best. The best part is you can bring them into a bathroom and re-wet them with cold water and snap them over and over again throughout the day. Each night, I would take them out of the ziploc bags and hang them up; they dry quickly that way, and then they would be ready for use the next day. If you're doing a load of laundry while on vacation, you can throw them in and they wash up really well too.

I've gotten them at Target in the athletic/sporting goods section, and at Dunham's Sporting Goods. I'm sure you can find the Mission towels lots of places, but those were the stores close to home for me.

Good luck staying cool!!
Thanks! I’ll look on my next Target trip!

Our last WDW trip was a few years ago in August. It was hot and humid the whole time. What worked best for me was carrying one of the little washcloths that they sell in the park gift shops. I would wet one down every morning and put it in a ziplock bag with some ice. It was small enough to fit in my purse. I would occasionally take it out and wipe down my face a neck, then use a little handheld fan to get the evaporative cooling effect. It cools you down pretty quickly. I added more ice to the baggie whenever we stopped for drinks or meals. That little washcloth was my lifeline during that trip! I found it to be a lot easier to carry than a larger cooling towel.
Brilliant! That may be a better solution for me.

We purchased our cooling towels at Lowe’s a few years back and they were Mission brand. We wet them before heading to the parks and put them in a ziploc bag inside of our cold bag. The frozen water bottles and ice packs keep them nice and cool until we need them. Then, as we are taking a break and drinking our water, we re-wet them and stick them back into our cold bag. Works like a charm for us!

When it is HOT, over 90, we head back to the hotel and take a mid-day break, maybe hit the pool(they are usually crammed) and return in the evening. We live where today and tomorrow may reach up to 110. Use to the heat, but the concrete and asphalt make it much worse.

Jack

Cooling towels ssaved us on our trip in Sept 2015. Hit 108 I believe. Drove to Big 5 on Harbor and bought towels and a fan. The Disneyland fans did not work well. I read somewhere that Disneyland sells cooling towels in park as well. Mission was the brand i bought. They make hats, wraps, and other products as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter