Horseriding for novices

kirstenjet

Mouseketeer
The person I'm going with has horseriding down as a thing they'd really like to do while we're on holiday.

Can anyone suggests anywhere?
She'd like to do it where you might get to see some wildlife etc and I'd like to do it somewhere I feel they take safety seriously!(some of the websites seem to suggest you don't wear a riding hat, I thought you had to from my memory of the one time I went about 10 years ago)

Thanks for any ideas,
Zoe

kirsten, I can definitely recommend Horseworld in Kissimmee, about 10 mins south of Highway 192 on Poinciana Boulevard. They are a good, well-run organisation that take you out into the local countryside. For more info, look up www.horseworldstables.com

There is also a 45 minute "guided horseback ride" at Disney's Fort Wilderness for ages 9 and up....... and they are bound to be safety conscious! If you need more details, I'll find a link to post.

As a riding instructor here in the UK the one that I would recommend is at the Grand Cypress (Hyatt I think) it is recognised by the British Horse Society and their standards are pretty high. Its not cheap however, they do lessons and trail rides for all standards, both western and emglish style.
They were looking for staff recently and if I was unattached I would have applied.

Thanks all, I'll have a look. I'm not too worried about the cost if I feel safe!

A silly question, what's the difference between western and english style?

Cheers,
Zoe

yup.....the grand cypress has both english and western style riding....(at two different locations on the property)....
the western has trail rides for beginners....
english has trail rides for advanced....
they are top notch quality.....
no other place around can compare...
we're staying at the grand cypress now and the place is unbelievable....but you don't have to be a guest to use the equestrian facilities....

The difference in riding styles tends to be the way the reins are held and used. In the US usually the reins are held in one hand and fairly loose ( with the other hand holding/resting on the pommel) , the horse reads which way the rider wishes to go by the feel of the reins on their neck. The European way is the rider uses both hands to hold the reins and they are held much tighter on the horses mouth. The bit comes into play a lot more as the horse is directed by it's mouth.

I don't know for certain but I would think the reasons for the difference is , historically, most riding in the US takes place in wide open spaces so the need for IMMEDIATE control of the horse isn't as important as it is in Europe where you're much more likely to be in acongested area. Also riding in the US ( cowboys) was/is an all day everyday experience so the chance to rest one of your hands is useful to the rider. It is also a lot less wearing on the mouth of the horse. I don't think the American style would be practicle in most of Europe as should your horse get spooked/bolt you may not have the 40 yards it would take to get it back under control, in the US this isn't such an important issue.

I'm not a rider , or a historian of riding, but I was told about the difference in styles when Jana and DD Caroline went riding at Xmas in Hilton Head. The reasons for the difference are just my views on why that is likely/logical to have developed that way.

The saddles are also very different from what we use in western riding, there is no way you would be able to ride all day on the plains on my saddle!! However I wouldnt want to do a dressage test in a western saddle either. You quite often find a western trained horse in much more responsive than ours too as they have to be able to turn on a sixpence and stop quickly when rounding up the cattle. Not that it will make a difference if you are on a slow trail ride.

Thanks again everyone. That all makes a lot of sense.
I'm definitely going to pluck up my courage and book somewhere.

Cheers,
Zoe

you don't have to book much in advance for either the disney trail ride (at fort wilderness) or for the western trail ride at the grand cypress.....for both of them you can usually book a spot just a few days in advance (often the day before....especially in the summer when it's hotter than hell in orlando and anyone riding should definitely have their head examined)....

Yup! The saddles are a different shape, plus they wear there stirrups longer.

I've heard good things about the Horse Riding at Disney...obviously with their reputation, safety is important. People to look after you and the horses are very docile (possibly to the point of sleeping, hehehe) though I've never tried it myself...one day though...one day...

Penny :D

i've done the western trail ride at disney twice...
the first time the cast members were excellent (real old cowboy types)...
the second time the cast members were young and terrible...
i'd opt for the western trail ride at the hyatt grand cypress....
much better trained horses and the trail is through an audobon nature preserve....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter