Horse races, bourbon, and good food - anyone up for a KY DIS meet?

Beka

Goes to 11
What does a Kick A$$ state like KY have going for it that would make it great for a GKTW DIS Meet?

Here in Lexington we have plenty of Disney fans, and a direct flight from Sanford FL to Orlando. Ever wonder why you see so many blue KY shirts in the park? I'm sure this partly why.

We also have Keeneland (who doesn't love a good horse race? Pete? Come on!) Tailgating on the hill, burgoo, the paddock - it's got both pomp & circumstance while feeling laid back. Yes, kids go too. And the people watching is fabulous!

Horses, horses, horses! Lexington is the horse capital of the world! In nearby Georgetown, there's the Horse Park, which I have always found fascinating.

But Beka, you mentioned bourbon. Get to the good stuff.

Lexington is in the heart of Bourbon country. Woodford Reserve, Makers Mark, Buffalo Trace, and Four Roses all give distillery tours which are informative and fun. Added bonus? Tasting the goods!

Lexington has also exploded a bit in new local owned restaurants. The Village Idiot & Limestone Blue are some of my favorites.

We also have some microbreweries that have popped up: Country Boy Brewing and West Sixth. I'm looking at you, Dustin & Shaun.

Since Keeneland has meets in April & October, I would propose that the meet happens in October. There are numerous farms that have pumpkin patches, corn mazes, and the like (hello cider donuts & kettle corn!) so the kids will be entertained too. Lexington also has a children's museum, but I haven't been there in a while, so I can't speak to how good it is.

So whadda ya think? Would anyone be interested in going?

I was just up visiting DfosterS19 at UK and there were so many places that caught my eye. Sure would like to see that Castle upclose! The 4 hour drive would be worth it to me.

Listening to what all goes on during the other meets on the podcast got me to thinking that there's a lot to do here to fill up a weekend!

I haven't a clue as to how to get this started. We'd need enough people to make it worthwhile.

If this is still an option I would love for it to happen. I currently live in Owensboro,KY but I was born and lived in Somerset for 9 years. I was trying to somehow make one of these happen in KY and honestly Owensboro is just not a good location for travelers since our airport is worthless. I could see something in late september or october or even the first week of november just making sure we don't get too close to other GKTW meets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter