Hoping experinced Disney cruisers can explain..

Chandra C

Mouseketeer
So we just did the Halloween theme cruise on September 10 on the Dream. We actually have done this twice because of cheaper rates. My wish is to try the merrytime theme next. I see that they are offering a cruise with the restrictions for a cheaper rate. It departs nov 7, and is just listed under regular cruises. So is this cruise like the transitional one from the Halloween to Christmas theme? I’m guessing there’s no holiday themed activities on this one? Wondering also if it’s worth the extra money to do the merrytime? Perhaps I should wait and see if they offer the restricted fares on the merrytime or is that something that rarely happens? Thanks

So we just did the Halloween theme cruise on September 10 on the Dream. We actually have done this twice because of cheaper rates. My wish is to try the merrytime theme next. I see that they are offering a cruise with the restrictions for a cheaper rate. It departs nov 7, and is just listed under regular cruises. So is this cruise like the transitional one from the Halloween to Christmas theme? I’m guessing there’s no holiday themed activities on this one? Wondering also if it’s worth the extra money to do the merrytime? Perhaps I should wait and see if they offer the restricted fares on the merrytime or is that something that rarely happens? Thanks
It's a restricted fare because of booking numbers. Merrytime cruises sometimes get restricted fares & sometimes don't. We got a restricted fare for a Christmas week cruise last year, probably because it was so overpriced initially that not enough people booked before they discounted it.

We've done Merrytime & non-Merrytime cruises. I don't personally think Merrytime is worth a price premium, but if that's what you want, go for it.

I’ve seen the prices for holiday weeks! Crazy, I could never afford it. Generally I’m all about just getting on the ship for the least amount of money. But I recall reading a comment from a post on this site where the person said they had branched out to other lines because of price, except they still take the very merrytime cruises. I guess that led me to believe the Christmas themed ones must be a lot more fun lol.

I wouldn't go on a transition cruise if you're expecting a Merrytime cruise. We love the Merrytime cruises - they're full of holiday activities (and actually the only DCL cruises we don't get a little bored on) . Currently they are the only ones we're interested in. I believe we've done 2 from NYC in November. They were definitely not more expensive than most other cruises. We also did one in early December to coordinate with doing the Christmas celebrations at Magic Kingdom and Epcot. I'm sure there wasn't a premium on that one either. I'm sure closer to Christmas or around Thanksgiving they are more expensive though but I wouldn't cruise then. If you really love the holidays, I would definitely do it.

I’ve seen the prices for holiday weeks! Crazy, I could never afford it. Generally I’m all about just getting on the ship for the least amount of money. But I recall reading a comment from a post on this site where the person said they had branched out to other lines because of price, except they still take the very merrytime cruises. I guess that led me to believe the Christmas themed ones must be a lot more fun lol.
The ship is prettily decorated, as is Castaway Cay. It's nice to hear reggae-type Christmas songs on Castaway Cay. But really, a cruise is a cruise and having done both, I haven't noticed a difference in quality. The gingerbread house building is fun if you can get a ticket for it, but you can build a gingerbread house at home, too. Nothing extraordinary happens imo.

But see for yourself. The earlier Merrytime cruises (early December) aren't priced at peak holiday pricing, so see what's on offer.

Sounds like me except for us it's not price. It's just that other ships work better for our family. I'd never cruise a holiday week and pay those prices or deal with those crowds. And we have a blast on the Merrytime Cruises. I'm taking 9 family members next November and we're all looking forward to that cruise. May very well be our last Disney cruise.

Of our 9 cruises 4 have been Merrytime. We thoroughly enjoy the decorations; it adds a little something extra to the holiday season for us. In fact, our first 2 cruises were Merrytime and DW remarked to me on cruise #3 that the ship looked a little bare without all the decorations :).

edit: we don't cruise during Christmas break; insane pricing then!

The activities are holiday themed. If you're not big fans of Christmas to begin with then it may not be for you. We've made ornaments, made elves, did the gingerbread houses, gone to the Christmas parties, etc. etc. And when my daughter was young she loved when it snowed on her face in the atrium just after she had hot chocolate and cookies. Fun to see families dressed in holiday pajamas having photos done. The lighting of the tree ceremony in the atrium is fun and tree is beautiful. Santa is there and Mrs. Claus reads stories. We participated in the ornament exchange last cruise and got some beautiful ornaments. What's NOT to love?! Think you'd have to be a Grinch not to enjoy a very Merrytime cruise!

We are doing a Halloween cruise next month and then I am going with friends on a Merrytime cruise in November. I have done several Halloween but very excited about doing a Merrytime cruise as I have never done one. On the EBPC a few years ago we were watching them rehearse in the atrium for the some of the Merrytime songs and costumes...it was cool to watch at 11:00 pm or so when there were not many guests around.

MJ

We have cruised Christmas week the last two years, but only because that's when I can get the family together. (Husband's job, one in high school and one in college). The ship is really beautiful, and we loved it. BUT, I would go anytime and wouldn't miss the decorations and activities. It was nice because it was Christmas, but in the end it was about the cruise and the family time. So for us, we accepted the extra cost because of schedule, not because of the theme. I hope this helped.

We've done the Merrytime twice and loved it but I wouldn't hesitate to book a non-themed cruise. We were supposed to be on that same cruise last year but changed it when they changed the itinerary (from Eastern to Western). Not having to go to all the "Special" Christmas events actually sounds more relaxing!

FWIW: we're booked on the Halloween next month

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter