hopeful

.landry

mouskenerd
I have been trying to get my wife on-board for a dvc for 3 years now. Three trips in three years!
She went from, "stop saying the word 'DVC!!!'" after the first trip, to laughing when she realized i was doing the math after this year's trip.
We joke all the time about how before we plan each trip I have to give a presentation. So this time im doing an *actual* keynote presentation stack with charts and graphs and year over year cost increase histories. (im also adding adorable pictures of our daughter at all three trips and 'our Disney family story'.
In other words, im laying it on thick!
Wish me luck. Its already 16 pages. :rotfl2:

So funny!! It sounds like she wants to buy in but it is a large scary purchase. Please tell me you are looking into resale and not direct!! There is a lot to factor in but it sounds like your family is the right make for a DVC purchase if you enjoy or love staying at moderate to deluxe

We are definitely looking into resale with maybe a 25 point direct for discount aps. She even said to me before i started this big push, "well, (our friend) O said that if we *were* ever to think about it we should go for a resale over direct"
I suspect that when she realized that there was a robust resale market it felt less risky. And that was my in!
Shes a numbers person (shes in tech) and if i can show her a good argument, in numbers, i have a good chance.

Shes a numbers person (shes in tech) and if i can show her a good argument, in numbers, i have a good chance.
The numbers do add up in favor of buying in when you go yearly or every other year. Break even for resale i think it around 5-7 years. Just think of the money you already spent that could have gone towards your purchase price! MF increase but heck the cost of hotel rooms goes up too!

There are a number of threads on the DVC board of members noting how much the room would have cost direct disney hotel and how much they paid in their MF. I know for our upcoming DVC trip we are doing 2 poly std studios for 3 nights (at ~$2K each thru WDW) plus 4 nights 2 BR akv which could be around $4K -- Just this trip would have been over $8000 for hotel rooms (even if disney offered a bit of a discount of 25% it would still be a pricey trip for us). We bought our 120 pt AKV contract for just over $9k, so with this first trip we have put a huge dent in our initial buy in - with our next trip adults only in December and a family trip in 2020 -- we will have broken even after 5 years of ownership.

I have a ridiculous number of charts and graphs. :woohoo:
I do think the numbers work out and I have included in my analysis, how much we've already spent
im taking no prisoners with this!!!

Good luck with your presentation. I am a retired engineer and still do a lot of record keeping, vacation planning with spead sheets, etc. LOL

The numbers do add up in favor of buying in when you go yearly or every other year. Break even for resale i think it around 5-7 years. Just think of the money you already spent that could have gone towards your purchase price! MF increase but heck the cost of hotel rooms goes up too!

There are a number of threads on the DVC board of members noting how much the room would have cost direct disney hotel and how much they paid in their MF. I know for our upcoming DVC trip we are doing 2 poly std studios for 3 nights (at ~$2K each thru WDW) plus 4 nights 2 BR akv which could be around $4K -- Just this trip would have been over $8000 for hotel rooms (even if disney offered a bit of a discount of 25% it would still be a pricey trip for us). We bought our 120 pt AKV contract for just over $9k, so with this first trip we have put a huge dent in our initial buy in - with our next trip adults only in December and a family trip in 2020 -- we will have broken even after 5 years of ownership.

We got our initial BLT contract earlier this year at $106 pp. I could probably sell it now as a partially stripped contract (taking trips in 2018, can close in early 2018) and actually still make a profit on the contract because of the price we paid, but then we'd be paying a lot more for the next contract.

I am also kicking myself for not buying in earlier. We have had 6.5 stays in the last 4 years. AUUGHHHHH. At least several of those stays were on rented points, and the rest were at deep (35%) discount, but still.... We could have broken even already.

I have a ridiculous number of charts and graphs. :woohoo:
I do think the numbers work out and I have included in my analysis, how much we've already spent
im taking no prisoners with this!!!

Are you going for your Master or Doctorate in DVC? :-)

@.landry 's friend here... she knows a lot. She's gonna graduate summa. I'm gonna use her deck when working on the DH for resale purchase #2.

so. I gave my keynote on Friday! I have to rework the numbers a little and probably be a little less ambitious. (160pt contract is a lot considering shes happy going once a year at most)
she said I nailed the emotional component but the numbers were still not convincing enough. So we are going to go through it again after i rework the numbers.
Me: well were going to be handing this down to R (our 4 year old)
DW: we arent leaving her a disney timeshare. Shes getting enough stuff
:rotfl:

Im closer to getting the ok!! (i give a bunch of credit to @kboo who talked her through a few things today)
She told me that I should pass my numbers by someone who knows about finance before i give them to her because she wants my work to convince her that it the right thing for us.

What are some thing that you considered after you decided that DVC was right for you and you were going to start looking for a contract.
My list is about UY, home resort, contract year end and how much we want to offer on a contract.

Hi

When we decided to look into DVC I looked at UY and resorts not end year at all. To me it was more about where I’d like to stay not which resort gave me the most bang for $$$.

I had my mind set on getting BLT at the cheapest point possible and only looked at contracts with last and current years points. Once I had found a contract which suited me I placed an offer and waited. Before placing the offer I had used the ROFR thread here on DIS

I didnt care so much about end date but had an upper limit for what I'd pay for one of those resorts, and I'm even wondering why I didn't just buy a ton of SSR points to use for 1BR at 7 months since I've recently decided that I want the space of a 1BR over a studio. But then again that is how you get sucked into DVC and don't actually save money, because as others have said, you end up going more often, often staying in bigger/nicer than you would've paid for anyway, and then spending more because it becomes very circular reasoning. (Like we really could have gone to WDW for a week be spent less than we did for Ks birthday party, because our room and tickets are already "paid for."

I didnt care so much about end date but had an upper limit for what I'd pay for one of those resorts, and I'm even wondering why I didn't just buy a ton of SSR points to use for 1BR at 7 months since I've recently decided that I want the space of a 1BR over a studio. But then again that is how you get sucked into DVC and don't actually save money, because as others have said, you end up going more often, often staying in bigger/nicer than you would've paid for anyway, and then spending more because it becomes very circular reasoning. (Like we really could have gone to WDW for a week be spent less than we did for Ks birthday party, because our room and tickets are already "paid for."
When I first gave her the info I offered that as one of the options. The first thing she said was, "why would we buy more points at a place where we don't want to stay? "
So that got completely tabled.
My angle is that we will go for something that will be able to let us go once a year for a week and if we decide not to go for a full week or we decide to go somewhere else that year we can either rent the rest of the points or bank them.

When I first gave her the info I offered that as one of the options. The first thing she said was, "why would we buy more points at a place where we don't want to stay? "
My angle is that we will go for something that will be able to let us go once a year for a week and if we decide not to go for a full week or we decide to go somewhere else that year we can either rent the rest of the points or bank them.

The difference between our partners is that S just asks a few questions and goes along with my "suggestion." :tongue:

Now that I am being more frugal with my points, the Sunday - Saturday stay looks quite nice to me!!

I know that your DW is concerned with end date, but from personal experience, vacationing styles will change a lot. The next 5 years are probably going to be your most WDW-heavy years, and then you'll probably go back to more varied vacation destinations and styles. So rather than weighting the cost of each point the same over time, do give your preferences in the near term 5-10 years more weight. For example, we are still likely in strollers for another 3-4 years, so resorts within walking distance to a park were preferred even if we, the grownups, might have also considered other resorts (BRV/CCV, or AKV for example).

2019 will be telling for us, because it will be the first year we will be settling into using our contract as we'd originally planned (once a year), since it came with a good number of 2017 points as well. So we had a 16-month hiatus from Disney between April 2016 and August 2017 (split stays), then February 2018, November 2018, and likely summer 2019. We really missed Disney on our 16mo hiatus (probably the longest stretch since having kids), and were still looking forward to going back in February, even after our 2-week Disney extravaganza.

I guess I'm just saying that with 1 kid entering peak Disney love, and more flexible schedules, I could see you all going to WDW more frequently rather than less in the near term, possibly for shorter trips than we take, and it petering out a bit in 10 years or so if your DD has a lot of activities keeping her home over school breaks and stuff. Even at age 6, our ODD is easy to take cross-country for a long weekend; shlepping 2 including 1 still in diapers is a bit harder.

So that's why I don't weight end date purely financially- 10 years from now our traveling styles will probably change a lot again, and if so, we can rent out our points, or buy or sell another contract.

I think your wife and mine must be related to each other... In the end, we decided to stay where we felt most comfortable (having rented points at various DVC properties in the past), which was BLT. The thing that pushed my wife over the edge was that the demand for monorail resort rental points was enough to support a pricing premium when renting from David's.

I think your wife and mine must be related to each other... In the end, we decided to stay where we felt most comfortable (having rented points at various DVC properties in the past), which was BLT. The thing that pushed my wife over the edge was that the demand for monorail resort rental points was enough to support a pricing premium when renting from David's.
I think she really wants a monorail but doesnt want to say it because she thinks its too snobby. But we have a small child and it makes sense to be at least that close to two out of 4 parks. and those points are starting to creep into the $17pp rental range!

for financials -- check out

http://www.dvctools.com/

Here's another chart that is slightly out of date -- but it should be helpful.

1zf3bma.jpg

there's a nice spreadsheet floating out there I will try and find...

*ETA -- here's a link...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...f22igEZwyA9rqUu34jM4A6Iro/edit#gid=1654218401

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!