Honeymoon Trip - Nov 2nd - 11th

Cordy2424

Mouseketeer
***Warning: LONG POST***

The basics

Dates: Friday, November 2nd – Sunday, November 11th
Honeymoon Trip!
Resorts: 2 nights at Wyndham Bonnet Creek; 7 nights at Port Orleans French Quarter

A bit about us
DH and I are both in our mid-30s, no children or pets. We are still kids at heart ourselves! My DH and I have been together since May 2013 and were just married in October 2018. Before our honeymoon, he had NEVER been to Disney (any park, anywhere). He has a love of all things movies and quickly began to appreciate Disney movies once I started forcing him to watch them with me. J I’ve been to the parks a few times prior to our honeymoon – but primarily when I was a little girl. Prior to this trip, the last time I had been to Disney was 2012 on a trip with my parents and sister for an adults only trip that was fantastic! When looking at honeymoon destinations, we wanted to do something in the ballpark of all-inclusive but DH is definitely NOT a fan of beaches or tropical getaways. I suggested a Disney package with a dining plan so we could pay it all off in advance and only worry about tips/gifts/extras while on the trip coming out of pocket. A few YouTube videos of the parks and he was hooked!

Now let’s talk about the Honeymoon!!

Hollywood Studios - Toy Story Land 4 by Elizabeth Scheffres, on Flickr

Hotels
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
We drove down after work on Friday and checked into the Wyndham Bonnet Creek. This place is AMAZING. My parents are Wyndham owners, so we were able to use points to stay there two nights at no cost. This resort is beautiful! We stayed in tower 5 or 6, shoot. 10th floor. Can’t remember. We had a 2 bedroom unit and it was huge! The balcony was so spacious and overlooked the pools – which look like two pirate ships wrecked on shore – as well as the pond that the resort circles. In the distance we could see Expedition Everest and Tower of Terror. At night we were able to see the fireworks from Hollywood Studios! The master bedroom had a king sized bed, gigantic bathroom and a soaking tub with jets! The second bedroom had two double beds. There was a second bathroom – also gigantic! – off of the living / dining area. The dining room could seat 6 people and the living room had a large sofa and two chairs. The kitchen was very spacious and had a bar area with 3 bar stools. LOTS of space. Décor was definitely not my style, but still quite nice. It was lots of coppers / bronze / brown / old world feel. Nothing tacky or ugly AT ALL – I just like clean, simple lines and lighter colors that make rooms feel brighter if it is my personal home. This was very, very nice! While this resort is not owned by Disney, it is on property and they do offer a shuttle to the parks. We did not use this, as we did not go to parks during our time at Bonnet Creek though. There were multiple dining options at this resort between their hotel and various towers. Also lots of pools, two lazy rivers, a mini golf, video rental in the towers, game rooms, etc. The staff even offer to drive you from building to building in golf carts if you don’t want to walk! We didn’t take them up on it because it was a beautiful day the one day we were spending time on property (70 degrees and breezy!!!) but I can see it being a big plus on a day that is 95++ degrees and you feel like you’ll melt just walking ten feet! Staff were friendly and helpful. Even when we checked in at 12:30/1am on Friday night, the man at the desk of our tower was incredibly helpful and kind.
My husband and I are eagerly awaiting our next opportunity to stay at Wyndham Bonnet Creek.

Wyndham View 1 by Elizabeth Scheffres, on Flickr

Wyndham View 2 by Elizabeth Scheffres, on Flickr

Wyndham View 3 by Elizabeth Scheffres, on Flickr

Port Orleans French Quarter
We checked into the Port Orleans French Quarter on Sunday morning, knowing our room wouldn’t be ready – we just needed to activate our magic bands and start our dining plan. We had an ADR for brunch, so I think we were at the front desk of FQ by 10am? The staff were AWESOME. The woman checking us in was so informative and helpful! She made sure we got our Happily Ever After buttons right away and was so sweet! She told us we were more than welcome to drop off our luggage in advance and they’d take it to our room for us when it was ready – which we regret not taking her up on that offer… Hindsight, right? J We had just gotten checked in at our brunch ADR and I got my notification that our room was already ready for us! We happily headed there after brunch and got settled. The room was very nice! These were renovated recently, so it had the faux wood flooring and stark white bed linens – which I appreciate. We had a king sized bed, so the room was on the corner. We had two windows and our view was BEAUTIFUL. We were in room 5323 – overlooking the Sassagoula River. Added perk, our room was not in the path for the elevator as we were in the farthest corner from it. VERY LITTLE foot traffic!! We kept our curtains open almost the entire time we were in the room to enjoy that view! The elevated bed was great for storing our suitcases under, but as a woman of the stature of a mighty 5’2” it took a little bit of a hop for me to get in bed! J The room felt very large. I think having only one king bed instead of two doubles gave us quite an advantage. The mirror/sink area was lovely. Backlighting the mirror is GENIUS. I also really like the curtain that closes off the bathroom from the bedroom – although I know that isn’t only at FQ. The only thing we didn’t like was how tiny the bathroom was. The toilet seat practically grazes the tub. I’ve seen other comments about trying to leave the door open to not get claustrophobic in the bathroom, but then you are stuck with a mirror looking back at you. Not a good look! I’d gladly lose some of the bedroom square footage for more bathroom space, but I don’t see that happening since that would be an insanely involved renovation for those hotels. The small touches of beads in a Mickey shape on the table when you check in, the amazing smell of the lobby (gardenia and jasmine?), the King of New Orleans in the lobby hanging out and talking to all of the guests, the individuality of each building and neighboring squares with beautiful landscape. This resort is the only Disney resort we’ve ever stayed in, but hands down would be our first choice if staying on property again. Visiting other resorts during our week for various ADRs we noticed that every other resort had so much going on: foot traffic, screaming people (not just babies and young children it runs the entire spectrum), hordes of people steering you in a direction you don’t want to go…It was kind of stressful at times just visiting a different resort and trying to find where our ADR was or wanting to look around the lobby without getting run over. FQ is a genuine get away from all of that. The only time we ever heard shouting or loud noises was when we walked by the pool. We never had issues with noise in our building. We never had issues with crowds getting from place to place. We never had to share a bus with Riverside or another resort. The boat to Disney Springs was so much fun and you got to see other resorts you might not have gotten to see otherwise. I cannot recommend this resort enough.
My husband and I very much enjoyed FQ and are planning to go back just for beignets when we have a quick weekend trip (not staying on property) next month!

French Quarter Room 1 by Elizabeth Scheffres, on Flickr

French Quarter Room 2 by Elizabeth Scheffres, on Flickr

French Quarter Room 3 by Elizabeth Scheffres, on Flickr

Weather
Weather was beautiful on our first day (70 degrees and breezy!). The next seven days were 85 – 90 degrees and SUNNY. No breeze. No shade. We did not have any rain at the parks, but did get a downpour one night at Disney Springs. I live in South Carolina, so I suffer through that weather all summer long (all 7 months of summer here in SC, ha!) but can honestly say I was not prepared for that heat in November in Orlando. I really thought it would be 75-80 but it felt like full blown June temps. We definitely trucked along and didn’t let it get us down though. I can see if it was a family from the West coast or even the North East, there may have been some issues if they were not prepared for the heat!

Food
We did the deluxe dining plan – I know, I know: “That’s so much of food!”. But this was our honeymoon and a lot of the places we wanted to eat were two credit ADRs. Here is a breakdown of where we ate on the dining plan (with credit break downs and alcohol options since that is new):

• 1900 Park Fare – Breakfast Buffet: DH had a mimosa with his buffet. Strawberry soup is WEIRD! J Food was good though. 1 Credit per person. Characters were Mary Poppins, Alice, Mad Hatter, Tigger. Character interactions were fantastic!
  • Morimoto Asia – Dinner: DH and I both had Sake Sangria – yummy! Our server amazing. He was dealing with a particularly dreadful table right next to us but you never saw him waiver or show any discomfort. We made sure to talk to the manager when we left and tell him how much we enjoyed the service that night. Lettuce wraps were delicious! DH had the seafood crispy Shanghai noodles as his entrée and went crazy for that dish! I had the Mongolian filet mignon as my entrée and it was EPIC. 2 Credits per person.
  • Cape May – Breakfast Buffet: DH had a mimosa with his buffet. Food was okay. 1 Credit per person. Characters were Minnie, Goofy, Daisy & Donald - all in beach attire. They were amazing. One of our favorite character interactions all week.
Meeting Daisy by Elizabeth Scheffres, on Flickr

• Hollywood Brown Derby – Lunch: DH had a beer, I had a blueberry mojito. We both had the Cobb Salad add grilled shrimp and it was good. 2 Credits per person. Our server sprinkled some pixie dust on us for our honeymoon and brought us each a glass of champagne with a strawberry garnish. It was very sweet of her!
  • Rosie’s All American Café – DH had a beer. Just fine for what it was. 1 Credit per person.
  • Cinderella’s Royal Table – Breakfast: DH had a mimosa, I had a bellini. Server was very nice and food was okay. 2 Credits per person. The princesses were beautiful! We saw Cinderella, Snow White, Ariel, Jasmine and Aurora.
  • Skipper Canteen – Lunch: DH had a beer, I had the Schweitzer slush (not in a collectible cup). Appetizers we chose were SEA Shu Mai (I’d pass on these in the future) and the Oinoco Ida’s Cachapas (delicious!). Entrees we chose were the steak salad (he LOVED this) and the sustainable fish (Cobia that day, was so good!). 1 Credit per person.
  • Be Our Guest – Dinner: DH and I both had a glass of wine. DH had escargot and I had the assorted meats and cheese selection. Entrees, DH had the filet and I had the pork tenderloin. This meal was not bad, but not great. One and done to meet the Beast and see the inside. 2 Credits per person.
Be Our Guest 2 by Elizabeth Scheffres, on Flickr

• Coral Reef – Lunch: DH had a beer. Appetizers of calamari and jumbo shrimp cocktail were really good! DH got the chef’s special as his entrée (stuffed whole lobster) that was outrageously good. I had the Mahi Mahi – Meh. Ok. Desserts were the chocolate wave and the Bailey’s and Jack Daniels’ Mousse. 1 Credit per person.
  • Biergarten – Dinner: Our server was kind enough to give my beer to my DH so he could get the big liter of beer in the giant glass. SO MUCH FUN! Food was okay, but probably better earlier in the evening. We ate late that night. 1 Credit per person.
  • Monsieur Paul – Dinner: We both had a glass of wine. DH got the black sea bass and I had the beef tenderloin. Both were amazing. For dessert, DH got the chocolate almond cake and I got the chocolate sphere. SO GOOD. Our server was phenomenal. Food was delicious. We really enjoyed this meal. 2 Credits per person.
  • Boathouse – Dinner: Appetizers were amazing! I chose the lobster cocktail (epic!!!) and DH chose 4 oysters on the half shell. For meals DH chose the 12 oz filet Oscar-style and I chose the scallop dish. Our server was fantastic. AMAZING meal. This was our favorite meal of the entire trip. 2 Credits per person.
Boathouse - Appetizers by Elizabeth Scheffres, on Flickr
  • Trail’s End – Brunch: This was honestly the worst meal all week. The buffet seemed dirty, the line was always long, the food kept running out, the cast members were snippy. Our server did not offer any beverages to us – and only asked “what do you want to drink?” when she came to our table. No greeting, no pleasantries. It was terrible from start to finish. 1 Credit per person.
  • Yachtsman Steakhouse – Dinner: DH and I both had a glass of wine. DH had the jumbo shrimp cocktail and I had the charcuterie board. Both were very good. For entrees, DH had the ribeye and I had the NY strip. For dessert, DH had the Lexington sundae and I had the admirals cake. This meal took HOURS. I feel like our server may or may not have forgotten about us a couple of times, but we enjoyed our meal. 2 Credits per person.

Parks
We visited 3 of the 4 parks. We intended doing all 4, but on our last day we were so exhausted and needed to prep for the drive home the following morning. We visited Hollywood Studios, Magic Kingdom and Epcot. It was heartbreaking to skip Animal Kingdom, but we are going for a quick weekend trip in January to focus on just Animal Kingdom to make up for it.
Since DH was new to everything, we tried to do as much as we possibly could. Lots of photo pass pictures and rides!

Hollywood Studios
Toy Story Land was a nightmare with crowd levels, and it feels like it bottlenecks terribly there. Other sections of the park were delightful. I miss Great Movie Ride, Backlot Tour, the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground, the Lights, Camera, Action! stunt show and the streets of America terribly. Excited about Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, but sad that the era of embracing behind the scenes movie magic is on its way out.

Hollywood Studios Hug by Elizabeth Scheffres, on Flickr

Hollywood Studios Balloon Frame - Heart Hands by Elizabeth Scheffres, on Flickr

Magic Kingdom
Loved it as always. DH is obsessed with the Haunted Mansion and speaks of it daily. Ha! Felt as crowded as we expected, if not slightly more at peak times of the day.

Magic Kingdom - Castle by Elizabeth Scheffres, on Flickr

Epcot
Epcot has always been my favorite park. As I get older, I love it more and more! The one thing that I would love to see happen at Epcot is to provide more shaded seating areas. If this park is really going to become Festival Central and have booth set ups year round for food/bev sales, it does not make sense to not have more options for seating/shade. We did not make ADRs for one of our Epcot days because we wanted to do Food & Wine booths. It was so hot that we only got two things from booths and ended up grabbing snacks from Paris indoors for lunch where we could sit and get some shade.

Epcot - International Gateway by Elizabeth Scheffres, on Flickr

Memory Maker

If you are in the parks more than 2-3 days – GET MEMORY MAKER. DH and I were able to really disconnect from our phones (except for my app use for FPs and ADRs) and enjoy ourselves. We have 250 photos from rides or spots in the parks and even a voicemail from Mickey & Minnie telling us how much they enjoyed meeting us and appreciate us spending our honeymoon with them. Too sweet!

Tower of Terror - Lantern Black & White by Elizabeth Scheffres, on Flickr

Epcot - Meeting Donald by Elizabeth Scheffres, on Flickr

Meeting Goofy - Epcot 2 by Elizabeth Scheffres, on Flickr

Meeting Chewbacca 8 by Elizabeth Scheffres, on Flickr

Keys to the Kingdom Tour
This was hands down one of our favorite things all week. Our guide was amazing. The tour was informative and entertaining. 5 hours was over before we knew it! Completely worth the cost. Do this. Now.

If we could do it over again
Schedule a day off in the middle of the week to rest.
Bring more socks. Wearing two pairs at once helped with blisters but depleted resources quickly!

What I will do for next time
There were so many tips/tricks/snacks/treats that people told us we “had to” try/do/etc and none of it stuck in my brain once I was in the parks. Thinking I might make a little cheat sheet broken down by park and area in the parks so I can pull it up on my phone for my next trip.

Favorite tip we got beforehand
We brought a pop up hamper for our dirty clothes. Game. Changer. This kept a certain someone from leaving their dirty clothes all over the floor or piled on top of a suitcase and made it so convenient when we ended up doing laundry one night to re-wear favorite pieces instead of wearing the clean clothes we still had.

I know this is a novel, but I had a good time writing it! Hopefully it helps or entertains at least one person.

Magic Kingdom - Honeymoon Pins by Elizabeth Scheffres, on Flickr

Last edited:
Love it! Glad you had such an amazing time! We did WDW for our honeymoon in 2010, and that's when the addiction began. ;) I think DH and I may need to stay at POFQ in the future. We absolutely adore POR, and DH is not a fan of the theming at POFQ, but I've just read so many stellar reviews that I'm very intrigued! The view from your room was amazing, wow!

Looks like you had a great time! My husband and I are going for our delayed honeymoon in September and reading your report made me look forward to it even more!

Less than two weeks until we get to go back for Animal Kingdom to make up for missing that during the honeymoon. We are going to add on a Disney After Hours - Magic Kingdom evening the Thursday we arrive and then go to Animal Kingdom that Saturday. SO EXCITED!!! Hopefully more fun pictures and stories to add!

Much overdue update!

Disney After Hours - Magic Kingdom was EPIC. Seriously. We spoke with a cast member in front of Town Hall when we arrived and he said he believed the maximum number of tickets they sell for a DAH event at MK is 3,000. The night we attended (1/24/19) he was under the impression the tickets sold were only at about 1600 as of 7pm.

THIS is how to do Disney.

I have no idea how long WDW will keep this up, but we fully intend to do an after hours event EVERY time we visit WDW from now until forever. We were able to ride everything we wanted to – as a walk on. The only wait was the length of time it took to walk through the standby queue, looking at you Journey of the Little Mermaid. Between 7pm to 11pm we were able to accomplish the following:
  • FP for Pirates
  • Sat beside carousel for Happily Ever After (If you’ve already seen the projections, this is super cool – the fireworks are all around you and insanely close!!!!)
  • Pooh
  • Little Mermaid
  • People Mover
  • Buzz Lightyear
  • Pirates
  • Haunted Mansion
  • Tangled Lantern Photo Op
  • Almost empty Main Street Photo Op
  • Meet and Greet with Mickey & Minnie in their 90th Celebration Outfits
  • Multiple stops for sodas, popcorn, ice cream
Sure, if we had really hoofed it around the park we could have done twice as much. However, there is something to be said for the feeling of being able to truly move at your own pace – nobody bumping into you, nobody nipping at your heels with a stroller, no distant cries of exhausted children. It was Disney magic at its BEST.

Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, and a handful of other rides did experience temporary closures – although I believe Splash was down all night. This can throw a wrench in your plans, but nothing that you can’t work around with the park being so quiet.

Pictures of Tomorrowland with NOT ANOTHER LIVING SOUL around us are priceless and a picture of the Hub on our way back to the castle with only about a dozen people scattered around is insane! Seriously. DO THIS. NOW.

Our Saturday at Animal Kingdom was amazing. We were there all day and were so exhausted by the time we left. It was so incredibly worth it. We had so much fun wandering on the animal trails and were not even mad at waiting an hour for the safari. It was awesome. Our only regret is waiting on Pandora until the end of the night. We should have gone during the day time at some point, but we were so excited about seeing it lit up at night we didn’t think that one through. We got super confused and turned around in there. It is SO dark – understandably, how else does the black light work! – that it was hard to navigate as a first timer. While the land was beautiful, I don’t think I like it as much as the rest of the park. Is that silly? I wasn’t a big fan of the Avatar movie, but can definitely appreciate the beauty and all of the hard work that went into the creation of Pandora. We didn’t ride Flight of Passage because we both get really motion sick on rides (even with medication). I’ve been too scared to try Soarin’ so FOP is definitely terrifying to me. We did right Navii River Journey but I was incredibly let down. My husband liked it alright though. He loves James Cameron though, so I’m sure it would need to be a major train wreck from him not to like it.

All in all, another magical Disney trip. We will most definitely try to pack in one last trip before Galaxy's Edge opens at Hollywood Studios. Once that opens we are going to avoid WDW for 2-3 years and let the crazy die down. I'm hoping to plan a Disney Cruise during that time to help take the edge off!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter