Honeymoon Resort Dilemma....Cabins or AKL

Goofydiane

DIS Veteran
I know, sounds like a no brainer...who wouldn't choose AKL? I know I would, but planning a honeymoon and trying to stay to a budget. SO.....Got the holiday magic deal for a Cabin for a week, but soon to be hubby said AKL was his first choice, if I could get a Savannah room. He hasn't been in over 30 years (I go annually), so trying to make sure he has a great time and wants to return for future visits.

What would you do....
Stay in budget and stay at the Cabins?
Slightly stretch the budget and go standard view at AKL, and pray for an upgrade? (yes, pray, not expected)
Bust the budget and go Savannah at AKL?

Thanks in advance!

We’ve stayed at both, AKV studios at Kidani and Jambo standard views and the cabins. Never stayed savanna view but have it booked at Kidani in January renting points. Would have preferred saving money and going standard but there was no availability. From what I’ve read on the boards there are many good viewing spots around the resort that having savanna view is not that necessary.

As for the cabins, I hated staying there, so much so that I tried to get out and upgrade on our second day. It was nice to have the extra space, I just hated being so far from everything. I like to be in a hotel so I can leave the room, walk to the gift shop, the arcade, the pool, etc. Though I did enjoy the deck and grilling outside.

So, my choice would be standard AKL, but I do think no matter where you end up you’ll have a great time!

I love the cabin but I understand it's not an environment everyone likes. It's spread out and you have to walk or bus to everything. AKL is nice but pricey. If you want to save money but not do a cabin you could check out another moderate. It all depends on your budget.

Both are nice resorts for relaxing. Cabins have very chill and laid back feel, and sooo nice to walk right to resort launch at end of MK night when monorail line is down the ramp and busslines busting out of the lines. Holiday time the campsites decorate too- but the budget busting part here is I’d recommend a golf cart.

Just finished first ever stay at AKL. Jambo standard view villa- we got “partial” savanah view as it had the people pen by our room. The first time we walked into room the giraffes had wandered out to our part of savanna. But there’s lots of nice viewing areas around the lodge too. Dd and I grabbed a snack from The Mara one afternoon and sat on an outdoor viewing area in the rocking chairs to enjoy the view. This was our splurge for our 25th anniversary-worth it!

I love both resorts for different reasons-good luck choosing!

We have stayed at both numerous times, but for a honeymoon it’s hands down AKL...even for Standard View (just make sure you have honeymoon added to the reservation).

Compared to FW, you’d have: deluxe amenities; room service; excellent restaurants; a spa; a beautiful lobby to relax and enjoy, things to do/see within walking distance of your room...

Where we stay never controls us having a good time. We have stayed offsite, value, moderate, deluxe and DVC. Enjoyed every trip.

Did you look into renting points? May be able to get AKL Savanah as cheap as the cabins. Of course it is based on availability.

AKL for sure. It's beautiful inside and out, wonderful CMs. Same answer even if standard view. So peaceful and romantic, I think (well, for a Disney resort.)

Maybe target to save up and do Savannah view on a future anniversary, when you haven't just paid for a wedding? Just a thought! (Do you have the type of parents/siblings who will pitch in for the honeymoon cost in lieu of gifts??)

Definitely AKL. If you are talking about this holiday season it is probably too late to rent points. However with the pool renovations at Jambo you might be able to find something.

I would potentially search for a deal on a savannah view but book standard if I could not find a deal.

I know, sounds like a no brainer...who wouldn't choose AKL? I know I would, but planning a honeymoon and trying to stay to a budget. SO.....Got the holiday magic deal for a Cabin for a week, but soon to be hubby said AKL was his first choice, if I could get a Savannah room. He hasn't been in over 30 years (I go annually), so trying to make sure he has a great time and wants to return for future visits.

What would you do....
Slightly stretch the budget and go standard view at AKL, and pray for an upgrade? (yes, pray, not expected)

Thanks in advance!

Another vote for AKL. We've never stayed in the cabins or standard view at AKL, but have stayed savanna view and pool view. The savanna view was nice, but I loved our pool view just as much. As a pp mentioned, there are several animal viewing areas around the resort, so having a savanna view isn't a priority for us. AKL is a beautiful resort and since it is sort of isolated from everything, I find it very peaceful and quiet and wouldn't hesitate to book standard view. Hope you have a great honeymoon :wizard:.

What would you do....

Thanks in advance!
Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

TBH, there's not much about the cabins that says "honeymoon" to me. I would stay at POR or POFQ for that kind of trip before I would book a cabin.

So that leaves your other choices of either stretching or busting the budget for AKL. Since your fiance expressed a preference for the savanna view, that's what I feel you should shoot for. You want him to love Disney almost as much as you do and booking a room that overlooks pool construction (some sd. views) or a parking lot is not going to wow him.

As far as the budget goes, if there are other areas where you can make adjustments, I would start there - tickets, dining, souvenirs. You don't say how much more the savanna view is but u find it to be worth the difference in DVC points to be able to fit on my balcony and gaze at the animals. As a honeymoon couple, I would expect that you might be in your room more than a lot of people who are traveling with family. You're going to want something special.

I love both FW and AKL, but would also agree with other posters that AKL would be a great choice for a honeymoon. Personally, I would do as Mickeynut1 alluded in the above post and consider a pool view. It should little more than a standard view in price and the view of the pool area from most rooms is beautifully romantic.

If pool view is beyond the budget, then I would happily book a standard view room. You could call to add the request for one of the rooms with a partial savannah view. Some of these rooms were even once categorized as savannah view, but were changed because of the people pens in the foreground or some other slight issue.

The savannah view is lovely from your room, but we found that we liked to go to the public areas to watch the animals from a variety of locations anyway. SO, if the savannah view isn't in my budget, I stay either standard or pool view quite happily. In fact, we have opted for the more romantic, prettier view of pool view on more than one occasion when we could have stayed in savannah view rooms. The views there are really nice.

Budget busting on your Honeymoon is such a bad idea. I can not recommend it. You have your whole future ahead of you with many expenses more important than a Honeymoon vacation.
We did not like AKL It was too dark for us.
Seeing the animals was fun and definitely uniqque, but not enough for us to go back there to stay.
We LOVED the Cabins. I believe the standalone aspect and the private deck etc to be very romantic. I would choose one in a heartbeat

Thanks everyone for the responses and warm wishes. I have stayed at AKL many times, it is one of my favorite resorts. I should have said that I LOVE AKL, so wanting to stay there is an easy answer for me. We are both in our 50's and earn decent money, own our house, and will be paying cash for the trip. Our wedding is very small, just us and dear friends so there really isn't a lot of expense there. As someone said, I want him to love Disney like I do and a trip to Africa is not in the cards for us.

All your comments give me lots to think about. The difference between the prices is about $800 for Standard view and about $1500 for Savannah view. We aren't doing the dining plan, and I don't buy souvenirs anymore, so this would be the bulk of the trip price. I tried renting DVC points, nothing available. I keep trying for the magical holiday package which if I can get, would reduce the price back to a comfort zone.

Will update once a decision is made.

Thanks everyone for the responses and warm wishes. I have stayed at AKL many times, it is one of my favorite resorts. I should have said that I LOVE AKL, so wanting to stay there is an easy answer for me. We are both in our 50's and earn decent money, own our house, and will be paying cash for the trip. Our wedding is very small, just us and dear friends so there really isn't a lot of expense there. As someone said, I want him to love Disney like I do and a trip to Africa is not in the cards for us.

All your comments give me lots to think about. The difference between the prices is about $800 for Standard view and about $1500 for Savannah view. We aren't doing the dining plan, and I don't buy souvenirs anymore, so this would be the bulk of the trip price. I tried renting DVC points, nothing available. I keep trying for the magical holiday package which if I can get, would reduce the price back to a comfort zone.

Something else to consider, since you go to Disney often, would be to purchase an AP. No guarantees but you might be able to get an AP discount at AKL. It would also give you dining discounts at select restaurants. It would mean spending even more money in order to save money But the overall OOP costs would be less.

Just a thought. No AP discounts are available for the fall or winter months yet. And there are no guarantees that AKL would be included in one if/when an AP discount becomes available.

With this info, I’d vote AKL. We love AKL, we’ve had savanna and pool views. Both very nice. I wouldn’t go standard view route, some of those rooms are truly awful, thinking about the rooms you walk by on the way to busses.
So I’d book pool or savanna room. ESP since you’re going Nov/Dec? It’s become a popular time and resorts book fast. Upgrades may not be possible. The AKL lobby Christmas decorations are so pretty. Definitely note on reservation you’re on your honeymoon. Can’t hurt.

I agree. With this information I would go with AKL Savannah View

We have stayed in both. I would definitely pick AK for a honey moon/ husbands first visit in many years / hoping to make husband love it so he always wants to go back ...

Cabins are great but AK is so unique...animals, restaurants, pools, artwork , decor, bar in the jambo lobby.......

I’d choose the cabins if you can also afford a golf cart rental. The cabins are private and standalone and you can easily take a boat ride to MK or contemporary and I believe you can see fireworks from FW beach. The walk from the FW horses to the WL also has tons of deer that aren’t afraid of people. It was so pretty seeing them and very serene. I wouldn’t do anything out of budget. Rent points at 11 months for an AKL anniversary trip

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!