HONEST detailed account of Solo Trip

The vast majority of times there are no issues or awkwardness on solo trips - they're awesome all the way around. And I highly recommend them. I say that as the preface to the fact that on rare occasion something strange can happen (although whether or not it's uncomfortable depends on whether you let it make you feel that way).

I've only had one incident that I noticed. During a solo trip last month, I had a PPO breakfast at BoG. I didn't have one - but four separate reactions on that meal. Odd but it happened. The first at security check-in ("Wait - did you say it was only you?" *brief hesitation and the "sad look"*). The second at the BoG check-in booth (CM started laughing when I said it was just me). The third was the CM taking my order ("Who else in your party". "Just me". "Okkkkaaaayyyyyy"). The fourth was a guest - a snide comment about one guest taking up a table at a busy restaurant. I couldn't care less, but I did notice. I don't point this out to put anyone off BoG or solo meals or trips - just that it can happen (and it stands out just because it was so odd in my experience). I don't think I'd do BoG breakfast again - not because of what happened (I kinda like being a contrarian) - but really because BoG breakfast is sort of overpriced and terrible for what it is. Happy travels everyone!

The fourth was a guest - a snide comment about one guest taking up a table at a busy restaurant. I couldn't care less, but I did notice. I don't point this out to put anyone off BoG or solo meals or trips - just that it can happen (and it stands out just because it was so odd in my experience).

Interesting. In restaurants, we get flak for being a big family and taking up space. You get flak for being a single diner and taking up space. So I guess in the end it doesn't matter because the criticizers are going to criticize everyone for taking up space.

Interesting! I ate at BOG by myself at my trip last March, for dinner, and didn't feel awkward or anything at all. My server was fantastic--nice and attentive, but nothing that stuck in my mind as "oh, you poor solo traveler". I thoroughly enjoyed being on my own--hopefully more CMs are like her, and fewer giving the solo travelers the "oh, poor you" treatment.

I've done races solo and this year I actually went into the park (HS) because I'd just done SWDS half and wanted character pictures with my medal. I had a quick snack and people watched as I ate (anyone else love that hobby?) on a bench next to Starbucks and did one ride.
I kind of get anxiety sometimes when I'm in a huge crowd and I figured it'd be worse if I was alone, hence no sit down lunch by myself.
I'm volunteering for W&D the first weekend of November and am going to Epcot and AK, hopefully I'll gather enough courage to sit and eat because I really enjoyed Satu'li! :flower:

I've done solo excursions to WDW twice this year (and Disneyland earlier this month) thanks to traveling for conventions. I do appreciate the freedom to wander and just get lost in everything as a solo traveler, even though I'm sharing just about everything I'm doing with my girlfriend and through social media.

One gripe for solo traveling at Disney parks: Fewer single-rider lines. I found Universal far more convenient in this regard, since most of their rides have single-rider lines while they're a rarity in WDW. I imagine this is a small problem for loading efficiency at WDW, as without a single-rider line, inevitably you're going to be sending out ride vehicles at less than maximum capacity unless you have a line to fill in single vacant seats.

Think I got the sad look when I went to a Red Robin restaurant by myself a couple weeks ago...

The vast majority of times there are no issues or awkwardness on solo trips - they're awesome all the way around. And I highly recommend them. I say that as the preface to the fact that on rare occasion something strange can happen (although whether or not it's uncomfortable depends on whether you let it make you feel that way).

I've only had one incident that I noticed. During a solo trip last month, I had a PPO breakfast at BoG. I didn't have one - but four separate reactions on that meal. Odd but it happened. The first at security check-in ("Wait - did you say it was only you?" *brief hesitation and the "sad look"*). The second at the BoG check-in booth (CM started laughing when I said it was just me). The third was the CM taking my order ("Who else in your party". "Just me". "Okkkkaaaayyyyyy"). The fourth was a guest - a snide comment about one guest taking up a table at a busy restaurant. I couldn't care less, but I did notice. I don't point this out to put anyone off BoG or solo meals or trips - just that it can happen (and it stands out just because it was so odd in my experience). I don't think I'd do BoG breakfast again - not because of what happened (I kinda like being a contrarian) - but really because BoG breakfast is sort of overpriced and terrible for what it is. Happy travels everyone!
That's so weird! I've done a solo PPO breakfast there- and plan on doing so again- and had no issues.

Interesting! I ate at BOG by myself at my trip last March, for dinner, and didn't feel awkward or anything at all. My server was fantastic--nice and attentive, but nothing that stuck in my mind as "oh, you poor solo traveler". I thoroughly enjoyed being on my own--hopefully more CMs are like her, and fewer giving the solo travelers the "oh, poor you" treatment.
That's so weird! I've done a solo PPO breakfast there- and plan on doing so again- and had no issues.
Solo travelers have a great experience the vast majority of times - I agree my experience that morning was an outlier. Nothing similar ever happened during my other meals at BoG (although I do wish they'd scatter more 2-top tables around the place - most are along the edges of the back wall in the ballroom). I'd recommend and encourage most anyone to go for a solo trip, eat wherever they'd like and do all the things they want to do without worrying one jot that they're solo.

Going back to the OP, though, I'd be honest with those same folks that odd or awkward things can happen when you're solo (but odd and awkward things can happen with groups, too - it's just that most of us think there's safety in numbers). Reading through the thread - some solos have never had anything happen, some have had odd things at meals, others on rides, a few at park entrances, or MDE, or at check-in. Many people seem hesitant to go solo out of a concern that those things happen a lot. The great news is that they don't. Having traveled alone to many different places, I'll say that WDW is FAR easier and better for a solo trip than most places. I guess I'd sum it up by saying not to be surprised if something odd happens, but not to expect it or worry about it happening either - and even if it does happen, brush it off by remembering all the perks and advantages of going solo.

Care to share what snide comments have been made?

I guess I should consider myself fortunate that no CM has ever made a snide comment to me on any of my solo trips - or when I'm solo during a trip with friends.
I don't remember exact words but one was a young woman in line to see princesses. Another was in the FP line of Peter Pan

A solo trip varies in pros and cons. To be fair there are way more pros. I had read through these boards religiously though before I left and didn't really read what I had experienced so I just wanted to give my 2 cents on a solo trip.

I only went for 3 days before I met up with family but I did Downtown Disney, and Magic Kingdom for 2 days. In theory I could have done other parks but I chose MK based on my budget and my love of its overall themes. I also rented a AKL villa through David's DVC rentals and did not do the dining plan.

So let's start with the Pros. There is nothing more awesome than being entirely in control of your Disney experience and itinerary. I spent so much time in shops, trying new snacks, enjoying parades and shows, and re-riding my favorite rides multiple times. There was no rush, no meltdowns, and my face actually hurt from smiling so much on the rides ;)

Likewise my DVC rental was flawless. David's DVC rental hooked me up with an excellent room very last minute and I am extremely thankful for their professional and excellent service. They were great with communication along the way as well.

Ok now for the Cons. To be fair if I did a solo trip again it would be just as short, and I would apply the changes I noticed would help. In my opinion dining and transportation were the most awkward for me. Mind you I am a shy personality and so some people would not deal with this (but it still deserves to be said for anyone out there like me).

From the moment I boarded the Magical Express bus from the airport I knew I should've rented a car. I'm aware Disney resort guests get free parking but I just wanted to at least try the transportation. It was awkward for me because I was the only AKL guest on the bus and I do look younger than I am, so the bus driver gave me a "Sweetie are you lost?" Speech and sort of grudgingly drove out to the farthest resort. I practically ran off the bus.

I also had issues with my luggage being stuck at the airport way late because I went through the magical express. I teamed up with management at AKL who eventually made things right but it still started off on a weird foot.

I likewise felt awkward being alone on those transportation buses to the parks. I got similar speeches from those bus drivers. One bus driver lady said to me "Is it just you all by your lonesome self?" To which I laughed and said yes but I was excited to go ride my favorite ride splash mountain, she smiled. If I had rented a car I know I would have zipped between parks and avoided a majority of my awkwardness in those situations.

Secondly, dining of course is a subjective experience. The only place where I got sad looks was at Boma surprisingly. Funny enough I just played with my phone and my server at the end asked if I was a Disney employee because I was dining alone. I laughed and said no I was just a die hard Boma fan. But I could definitely see how having a distraction could be helpful for dining alone, I found myself a little more rushed to finish sit down meals and more prone to snacking.

Lastly- rides. I had great experiences on rides but the only one I found awkward was surprisingly Buzz Lightyears ride. I've gone on before (and of course killed it with points ;) ) but this time the ride attendants made it feel a little awkward. I even didn't feel awkward being alone on its a small world! Haha but yeah that was the only ride.

Overall, solo trips are awesome and if you're a Disney fanatic you must try them at least once! Don't get too much in your head but also know yourself and what would make for your best experience :)

I am so sad that you felt awkward at all. I went for a conference back in March. Was alone for a few days then met up with family for the weekend. No one ever made me feel weird on transportation or in a restaurant. In fact, when I ate at The Hollywood Brown Derby, it seemed like they went out of their way to make me feel not so awkward, by placing me at an elevated table not in the center of the room for maximum people watching and minimum people watching me. Of course, there are places I avoided because I thought it might be awkward. I didn't go to the German buffet (my favorite Disney meal) because you are seated family style and I thought that could be weird. I do hope you try it out again and have a better time.

Although I don't travel to WDW alone, I often go to, or stay in, a park alone while the others go back to the resort for a rest. I've dined alone, this year I've booked Sci-Fi diner, Yak & Yeti and the Plaza restaurant. At first I felt rather self conscious and wanted to show everyone a photo of my family who were at the resort, but I relaxed after the first experience and now just focus on the reason I'm at each restaurant - the food.

My only solo trip I got so sick I spent most of it in the room at AKL. :( My first day when I was feeling good in Animal Kingdom was awesome, though. I even did the character meal at Tusker House and had a great time.

My next trip will be a solo. I'm determined to have a much better repeat! Probably going to stay at one of the Boardwalk resorts and take advantage of being so close to Epcot to wander in at all hours. :)

Agree! "overpriced and terrible" is exactly how I would describe breakfast at BOG.
Sorry you had such a weird solo experiece there. I didn't experience anything like that when I went there solo, but I couldn't make myself take a second bite of my breakfast. Bleh!

I have never been on a solo trip, but have been thinking about doing one. Work has been very draining and I could really use a couple of days to recharge in my laughing place. My husband has been going with me to WDW once each year for the past few years, but I think he is feeling a little burnt out and he said I should go without him this time. We are young and money is definitely an object, so I can't help but feel guilty! Spending all that money on just myself? A solo trip seems like so much fun, but I am having a hard time with it. Am I selfish for wanting to take this trip?

You are not selfish. If you feel like it, then figure out a way he can take an equivalent trip without you. Maybe he gets a guys weekend away. Maybe he goes to a video game convention.

My personal opinion, and lots of people disagree with it so it's ok if you do, is that it's healthy to do some things on your own when you are in a relationship, even travel. The key is balance, and doing it in a way that your SO is comfortable with.

You are not selfish. If you feel like it, then figure out a way he can take an equivalent trip without you. Maybe he gets a guys weekend away. Maybe he goes to a video game convention.

My personal opinion, and lots of people disagree with it so it's ok if you do, is that it's healthy to do some things on your own when you are in a relationship, even travel. The key is balance, and doing it in a way that your SO is comfortable with.
Yup, when I decided to do solo trips, I told my husband he could go somewhere alone himself as well. But outside of visiting family, he prefers to do staycations instead.

I have never been on a solo trip, but have been thinking about doing one. Work has been very draining and I could really use a couple of days to recharge in my laughing place. My husband has been going with me to WDW once each year for the past few years, but I think he is feeling a little burnt out and he said I should go without him this time. We are young and money is definitely an object, so I can't help but feel guilty! Spending all that money on just myself? A solo trip seems like so much fun, but I am having a hard time with it. Am I selfish for wanting to take this trip?

Absolutely not! It sounds like you're both a little burned out and even just you going allows both of you to recharge a little bit. While you'll be having fun at Disney, he gets to do what he likes at home -- whether that's going to bed early (or late), spending extra time on a hobby or relaxing, etc. As far as cost, there's ways to cut down the cost of a Disney trip - for some (including myself) it may be staying offsite, going with some lower cost options for meals, etc. We've found that over the years its sometimes nice to do solo trips (me to Disney, DW to visit family or extra time at the beach, etc.)...it allows everyone to recharge a little...

Trying to figure out where to do my first solo trip. I was thinking a 4-5 hour drive and stay for a few days or just jumping right into a 8-10 day trip...

I just got back from mine! It was AMAZING! I feel like it reignited the Disney Magic! I got to do everything I want and I found a new thing to do... Who knew character meet and greets were so fun tbh! I never did them before but I found them more entertaining than some of the rides XD.

Do it! I was nervous planning mine, but it turned out to be a success for me. It’s not selfish at all. We all need a me time here and there. I work like 90 hours a week so I always take some sort of vacation every 3ish months to recup

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!