HONEST detailed account of Solo Trip

I also had issues with my luggage being stuck at the airport way late because I went through the magical express. I teamed up with management at AKL who eventually made things right but it still started off on a weird foot.
I know this post is old but just wanted to clarify that traveling solo has zero relation to delayed luggage.
Quick call to WDW and I was booked in a king Little Mermaid room at the Art of Animation.
May I ask how you were able to book a king bed? It's not a bootable category at AoA, but it would be helpful for many guests.
As a woman travelling alone I just wasn't feeling like I could walk down to City Walk and dine alone and feel comfortable like I knew I could at Disney.
Interesting. I feel equally safe either place. Even a little moreso at Universal, since it's more insular

It has always boggled my mind that there is not a Disney World "singles" thread on here. I mean, why not?

I know this post is old but just wanted to clarify that traveling solo has zero relation to delayed luggage.

May I ask how you were able to book a king bed? It's not a bootable category at AoA, but it would be helpful for many guests.

Interesting. I feel equally safe either place. Even a little moreso at Universal, since it's more insular
Don't really know what you are asking?? I sat in the lobby at Cabanas. Called Disney and told them I needed a room. They said "how about a king bed?" I said sure. As far as Disney vs Universal I guess that is just personal opinion. I am a Disney girl so I guess that's why it is a better fit for me. I know where I am going and I know how to get there. Potato vs Potatoes.

I think your account was spot on for many of us who do get to go solo sometimes.
Yes, more pros than cons. I just did a short solo trip in February, doing what I want at my pace (due to a work conference in Orlando). It was even more special since I just did a joint family trip with 25 people! That was fun at times with a group. Next trip is just my wife an I, another different experience with more pros than cons; slower pace, our own itinerary, but with someone to share it with.:love:

I hope to do a short (3-4 nights) solo trip eventually. I'm thinking the next time DH and I go to Florida to visit his Dad, I'd like him to drop me off at Disneyworld (after I've made a reservation, of course! ha ha!), and he can go to Daytona (one of his favorite places in Florida). We've already discussed it, and DH is fine with it. I would stay at Port Orleans Riverside, it's my favorite. I would probably spend most of my time at the Magic Kingdom, my favorite of the four parks. I'd go to Epcot too, and possibly a half-day at Animal Kingdom but could definitely skip the last park, used to be MGM, can't even think what they call it now. I'd miss Buzz Lightyear but that's really not a big deal. I wouldn't do any sit-down restaurants, DH and I don't do them when we go together. The only time we did was when we went with extended family a few years ago. I much prefer grabbing something from a kiosk, or a quick service meal, and get on with other things. I'd have breakfast at the food court at the resort. I don't mind riding the bus alone, I did that on our last trip when I wanted to go to Downtown Disney and DH spent the day at Epcot. I'm an introvert, and don't mind being by myself. I think it would be so much fun to be able to decide for myself what I wanted to do, and not have to worry about what anyone else might want to do. The only thing I wouldn't like would be waiting in line for rides, I'm not much on chit-chatting with strangers. But I could always play on my phone during that time. And I can't think of any rides that would bother me to be alone to ride on. I think it would be a great experience to do once. :)

I did a solo trip back in September 2016. It was my first ever holiday alone, and as such my first solo trip to Disney World. I went for 14-days. Crazy, right? It actually turned out okay.

I do flog the whole experience, so if anyone wants to know what it's like: https://www.youtube.com/Fandomlifenet

I found it fine. I got to do what I want when I wanted. It tended to mean I did things slower. I found a number of great Disney World walks and I just ambled along them. It was great.

I didn't have as many of the problems as people have listed here. For the most part I found people didn't care or even notice I was alone. They're too absorbed in their own holiday. I had numerous bus Disney bus trips when I was the only one on the bus due to returning from the parks at odd times (e.g when everyone was coming in) but I just talked to the driver, he didn't seem to care. Did he know I was alone? Did he just assume I was coming back seperate from my party? Who cares.

The only problem I had was at customs who really put me through the ringer due to me be a single man coming to Disney World (I really do think a woman would have had it easier in this case). I'd also booked the holiday late. They really thought I was there to work or something. Once I got over that and the bad weather on the first day the trip was truly awesome.

I got around the eating by just going to counter service and it worked absolutely fine.

There was a few places I found odd alone: Magic Kingdom (a 45 year old bloke wondering around alone, but that's fine it is not the park I go for), Disney Springs at night is also a place you need to be with someone.

Interesting! Thanks for offering a different perspective! I am taking my first solo trip there in July. I'm pretty outgoing and have traveled alone a lot and have definitely dined alone a lot. So I'm very used to going places and doing things by myself. I haven't been worried about experiencing awkwardness while there...but the one thing I wonder is if I will feel lonely to some degree. My other trips to WDW as an adult were all with my boyfriend at the time. So I wonder if being around so many people all with family members and loved ones...if that will be hard. I'm excited though. I'm likely moving to Orlando next year so I'm mostly going to be exploring Orlando. Just staying on property for 3 days and having some park fun. :)
I've been on several solo trips to WDW, and the only time I was lonely was last month when my daughter and I were going for my birthday, but the airline had problems and couldn't get her there. I was lonely the entire time because I missed her; but on my previous trips where I had planned to be alone I was fine. I bet you'll have a great time!

I went on my first solo trip in March and I never had anyone say to me anything like the thread maker described. I always felt welcomed, never felt awkward, and never felt discriminated against. No one ever asked if I was lonely. It may be because I look very young for my age. Most people assumed I was a teenager (and to those who I divulged my age, they all were surprised and said they thought I was a teenager). I even did two TS meals and both times I was treated very well. I'm sorry for anyone who had any negative experiences.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I have an upcoming trip in September with two other people, but I have been thinking about planning a solo trip after that. I feel like no one appreciates the work and planning I put into the trip and because they don't have any clue as to the amount of time I spend, it makes me feel a bit resentful. I wish I had real life "Disney" friends who could share in the excitement when a certain restaurant is booked, or a day's plan goes just right. This is one reason I was considering planning a trip alone, but I am afraid I would feel sad. Anyone go on a solo trip and hate it?

I read this thread for the most part because I am looking to take a vacation but don't want to go 12 days alone. The dilemma I'm in is that the ones that say they want to go can't commit themselves 10 months in advance. So not sure what to do because I do need to start booking soon.

I traveled to London on business alone 47 years ago and then traveled around Europe on vacation. Over the past 4 decades I traveled a zillion miles alone most often internationally. My first trip to WDW was with 3 friends in a single hotel room.

I didn't get to go back to WDW for many, many years - but it was for work where I was alone. My first year back I got to go 7 times to Orlando for business (from California).

So I was so used to traveling alone long before traveling to WDW. That was my norm. I am now married to a man who is not crazy about WDW although he will do anything to help me have a good time. What works for us is for me to do my thing at Disney and then I have dinners, etc. with my DH. He gets me there (we drive), and I get to do whatever I want. I don't care at all that he doesn't go with me to WDW every day.

I think during my solo trip in Feb of 2016, the awkward thing about buses was not the cast members. It was other people on the bus kind of just...looking at me...like this girl's alone? And i always thought, well sheesh how do they know i didnt decide to leave before my party, or after, in the AM? It always felt weird people sort of eyeing me. But, it hasnt deterred me from booking another solo trip, which I am leaving on Monday! IT helps that i do have CM friends, so i might meet up with them for an hour here, 2 hours there, but otherwise i ride it completely solo and love it.

Hi everyone!

I created an account here way back in 2015 when I was going to Disney World for my first time. I was 27 at the time and did a solo trip. I forgot to come back here and let everyone know how it went ha. I did have a fun time and It was there for about three days (which went by FAST). Even though I was solo for my first trip to disney world it was still pretty fun even though there were a few moments that weren't so magical. Most people were nice, but when I first checked in at my hotel ( stayed at all star movies resort) the Cast Member wasn't so friendly but I gave him a pass because it was pretty busy with the check in's. He wasn't so much mean, but just short and blunt when I asked him some questions since it was my first time at disney. He seemed like he didn't want to be there. The only other bad cast member experience during my first trip was at the place in Magic Kingdom. I forget the name but it's that resturant on main street where every buys the good hot dogs. The cast member taking orders was half paying to attention to me trying to place my order as she was busy telling her life story to a group in front of me. I tried to be nice to her but she just acted like I was a nuisance.

The rest of the disney cast members were extremely nice especially the ones that worked in the All Star movies resort, Hollywood Studios, and Epcot as once the found out I was traveling solo a lot of the female cast members showed me a lot of attention ha. I was 27 at the time and I definitely felt like a college aged female cast member working in the gift shop of the hotel was flirting with me which I did NOT mind as she was cute ha. Also, a older guy cast member at Magic Kingdom allowed me to get a REALLY good spot at the fireworks show one night since I chatted with him a bit since we both were from Virginia ha.

The only rides that were awkward for me as a solo traveler was Small World and Splash Mountain. The reason small world was awkward was because I was one a boat were every row was packed except mine which just made everyone know I was a solo traveler and it just made the ride seem longer ha. Splash mountain was awkward for the same reason as Small World because the cast members put me in a row all by myself. But the people in the row in the boat in front of me talked to me the whole ride which made it fun ha. Toy Story mania had me with sitting with a couple around my age which ended up being fun. The people I was sitting next to on Star Tours ended up being my buddies into Tower of Terror was well which was cool.

Eating was kinda awkward for some places but it wasn't a big deal and using the disney transportation was not awkward at all since every bus I was one was kinda packed. Overall, it was a fun trip and I will be heading to do another solo trip this labor day weekend/ Well I am doing Universal and like one park at Disney and then I am taking my parents to Disney World next summer for a family vacation.

I suspect no one is looking at a solo traveler on the bus or the rides or anywhere else. I travel solo and with family and friends. When I'm with my friends we never look at, notice or comment on someone who might be there alone. I'll bet that at no time in all your visits with family or friends have you ever looked at someone "solo" and thought anything - you probably didn't even notice. One of the few times another guest has ever said a thing to me on any of my solo trips was in a long line and a man about my age with his family who all seemed agitated (put politely) leaned over and said sotto voce, "How did you manage to ditch your family?". We exchanged a little chuckle. He didn't think I was solo, he thought managed to get away from my family for a bit.

I went with 2 friends a while back. We did some things together but all went our solo ways during much of the day. Because of that I made it a point to look for other solo's. Gotta tell you that even when I was "on the lookout" I hardly noticed anyone there solo. We are all quite self-centered (and not in a bad way) so when we are alone we tend to think others are paying attention to us. But they are just as self-centered and usually focusing on themselves and those who they are with.

There was only one time on my solo trip when I had something said to me about it! I was in line for Toy Story and there was an older couple behind me. I was reading (something that always get me yelled at when I'm with my family, so double bonus that I can read as much as I want when I'm solo!) and they were kind of like "Are you alone....?", like they were concerned. I was 25(ish?) so it's not like I was a 10 year old running around. I said yeah, my friend bailed on the trip so I went anyway, and I could tell they thought it was kind of strange. I just shrugged it off. On trips to Disney a long time ago my family & I learned sometimes it's best to split up! So I was used to being "alone" in the parks for a day anyway. Maybe they were just afraid I was going to get murdered or something, but I just really wanted to do the Christmas trip I'd planned, come hell or high water. Also, that year the parks were super empty when I was there, so it was a really unique experience overall. I did the Jingle Cruise late at night and there were so few people there that we waited until there were 12 or so people on the boat before we went. It was the best time I've ever had on the Jungle/Jingle Cruise! And later I was speedwalking/running with everyone else to ride Splash and Space as many times as possible before the park closed at midnight. When I got the email with my pictures after my trip they were like 7 minutes apart, hahaha. I've never felt really strange eating alone at the restaurants but I didn't do the sit downs, only quick service (I did 50's prime time but I sat at the bar). This year is the first time I've made multiple dining reservations for my solo trip, so I'll find out if there's a big difference in awkwardness.

...and they were kind of like "Are you alone....?", like they were concerned. I was 25(ish?) so it's not like I was a 10 year old running around. I said yeah, my friend bailed on the trip so I went anyway, and I could tell they thought it was kind of strange. I just shrugged it off. ...

That happens occasionally, although maybe I don't get it so much since I'm male and at least double your age...I just use the "I was down on business and have an extra day or two to kill before going home" excuse. Actually, that's occasionally true anyway. And yeah, I just shrug it off.

I don't' think we are going to Disney in 2018. DD stated college this year. And her break is not the same as DS. But I think we will go 2019 spring break and I kicking around going by myself before DH and DS come to join me. DD can come if it is her break.
I went with DD and her high school mates for her grad gift. Sometimes I was with them and other times I roamed by myself and I enjoyed myself. I did MK rope drop by myself, trammed to Epcot, then joined them for AK at night.
At times during prior family trips I have hit a park by myself early then returned for the family.
I don't mind roaming by myself.

I go solo all the time (going again 12/6-10) and every once in a while I feel awkward. usually it's a younger CM that makes a snide comment. It is very few CMs that have made me feel weird but it has happened. The older CMs always tell me they are jealous that I'm there by myself. And when I get asked if I'm all alone in a somewhat sad way, I usually respond with a "yes, party of 1" with an emphasis on the word party. :)

As far as Magical Express goes, I have never felt awkward.

I have found that eating at the bar at a restaurant is much more fun than sitting at a table. It is easier to meet others and the bartender is usually pretty interactive as well. I have met so many people that way and have had a few people even pay my tab! That is always a huge, and very nice, surprise. For me, Disney is very safe for solo travel and has opened up a world of travel that I would not have gone on because I'm single. I've noticed it's made me more adventuresome in my hometown as well.

I go solo all the time (going again 12/6-10) and every once in a while I feel awkward. usually it's a younger CM that makes a snide comment.
Care to share what snide comments have been made?

I guess I should consider myself fortunate that no CM has ever made a snide comment to me on any of my solo trips - or when I'm solo during a trip with friends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!