HONEST detailed account of Solo Trip

Since my husband passed away, I have done several WDW solo trips, as well as learned to go to movies alone, eat Table service and strike up conversation with many interesting people. Food and Wine special events are easy -- you are seated with others.

I also have family and friends who travel with me, but love my solo trips!

I enjoyed reading everyone's opinions and experiences. My first WDW trip as an adult will be a solo trip and I'm more than excited. I love travelling alone - done it around Europe and Canada. I'm sure being outgoing helps with that. I should be just fine.

Lol - I am married and I'll be doing my second solo trip in May. I love my husband and daughter dearly, and they usually come with me, but my DH knows how much I love my alone time too - just to be in my own space with my own thoughts - not having to plan for, wait for or consider anyone else. He gave me a one week solo trip as a Christmas present!

That was my Christmas present this year, too!

I wanted to write something about my experience solo traveling as I remember being super nervous about going alone and I want to ease anyone's mind who is thinking of going solo. So some background, I was a 21 year old female (i would have traveled earlier if not for the difficulty of booking hotels under the age of 21), I went for 2 weeks and I'm from Canada with no family in the USA, so there was the added worry of my bank cards not working and getting a travel phone plan to keep in contact with my parents. I was a bit paranoid, so I made sure to never tell anyone I was solo. It really wasn't necessary though, no one really asked about it.

My experience was really quite pleasant. I stayed offsite at blue tree to save money. I also didn't rent a car cause renting a car under 25 is ridiculously expensive. so I relied heavily on theme park shuttles from my hotel as well as the public transit system. I ended up mostly using public transit cause the hotel's shuttles didn't line up with what I wanted to do exactly and I liked the freedom of leaving when I wanted. The only time using public transit freaked me out was one time i was waiting to catch my bus at around midnight at the ticket and transportation centre and a clearly drunk guy came up to me and offered me some vodka. It's pretty unusual to see characters like that around Disney. :P

I mostly ate at counter service locations, as I'm super awkward eating by myself. The only place I felt comfortable eating in a sit down was Joe's Crab Shack off site near my hotel. You have to concentrate so much on the crab that it doesn't matter if no one is with you, and the waiters and waitresses are so friendly. I ate there several times.

In terms of loneliness or feeling homesick, I didn't really get those feelings. The only feelings I got were wishing someone could be with me to share in the joy of being in Disney World. During the Osborne Christmas lights I skyped my boyfriend and sister and it was really quite emotional to share that moment with them.

There were a couple times where I missed a bus or something went amiss and i had to call on Uber to help get me somewhere. I was nervous about using it as I don't really use Uber or any sort of taxi services in my home town. But it was totally fine. It definitely saved my butt on several occasions and is so much cheaper than a taxi. I highly recommend.

One thing I chuckle at looking back on now is my confusion over grocery stores. I remember hiking back from winn dixies in the blistering heat with several bags of groceries only to discover later on in the trip that the much closer Walgreens also carries groceries. Something I should have researched ahead of time. :P Another thing that confused me was the tipping system in the USA. In Canada, when you are ready to pay they bring the debit/credit machine to you and you specify tip percent and confirm the total amount and everything on the machine. My experience was when i was ready to pay they'd disappear with my card and come back with the receipt and my card. I was so confused until I realized that you need to write down the tip amount on the bill before the pay. That was definitely a learning experience for me.

I am now planning my next trip with my boyfriend and I'm super excited as he's never been. I am a little worried as I was spoiled with my last trip of doing anything I want whenever i want. Now I have to accommodate someone who isn't the biggest Disney and ride fan. But I have faith that it'll be a good time! :)

Last edited:

That's a bummer you felt so much awkwardness on your solo trip. I'm curious as to why your thread title starts with HONEST in bold letters. That leads me to believe you think anyone who wrote a solo trip report was hiding the fact they felt awkward just to play it up to the readers.

Really not trying to be snarky. That's just how it looks.

Don't think that's a fair interpretation. I think the OP did an excellent job of laying out the pros/cons of a solo Disney trip. I've read a lot of solo trip reports and 90% of them are all A++++ without listing a single negative and/or con of the trip. I don't find those especially beneficial so thanks to the OP here.

As for her negatives, I agree with the dining part but not necessarily the public transport part. I've never had anyone comment on me being alone on a bus but I'm a man in my early 30s so it's possible there is an age/gender bias there.

Dining, definitely. I don't really like to eat dinner by myself in super crowded restaurants, I find it awkward. So I try to eat at less popular times.

Don't think that's a fair interpretation. I think the OP did an excellent job of laying out the pros/cons of a solo Disney trip. I've read a lot of solo trip reports and 90% of them are all A++++ without listing a single negative and/or con of the trip. I don't find those especially beneficial so thanks to the OP here.

As for her negatives, I agree with the dining part but not necessarily the public transport part. I've never had anyone comment on me being alone on a bus but I'm a man in my early 30s so it's possible there is an age/gender bias there.

Dining, definitely. I don't really like to eat dinner by myself in super crowded restaurants, I find it awkward. So I try to eat at less popular times.
Wow this was a pretty old post. Had to go back and reread what you're talking about!

I'm planning my first solo trip to WDW for September. I haven't been there in 30 years. I'm actually looking forward to going alone because I'll be free to go at my own pace, indulge in what interests me, and not feel pressured to anything I don't want to do. This trip is for ME. :yay:

Last edited:
I am taking my second solo trip next week. I am only there two full days, which is the same amount of time I had last year but this time I am not doing a park visit at all. I am staying at BWI and just enjoying the atmosphere of that area. There is a lot going on and it's a more adult vibe than the Poly where I stayed last time. Generally, I like the idea of being in control of my day. When going with family and friends someone has to compromise. On these trips, I can do exactly what I want. Last year i did the 5-hour behind the scenes tour at MK which was fascinating but this year I am just hanging around.

I think with smart phones and tablets, a solo travel can stay occupied in any venue. There are times last year when I was in line for a ride at MK and kept busy on my phone. I don't think anyone cared that I was alone, but if they did I took no notice. When I dine, I bring my Kindle and play words with friends. A week from today I will be there. Yeah!!!!

I really can't Wait to go solo next week. I am used to solo travel so the dining alone part won't bother me. I am thrilled at the thought of doing what I want when I want. Is I want to do Star Tours 5 times in a row, I CAN!

...I am thrilled at the thought of doing what I want when I want. Is I want to do Star Tours 5 times in a row, I CAN!

I've done that with Test Track (5 times consecutive sounds about right) and Big Thunder (maybe 3 or 4). Personally, I can't do more than a couple Star Tours consecutively or I'll be feeling it for awhile.

I once did a solo trip to Disneyland for two days and had a great time, but I did get sad looks when I said "one" to the "how many?" question. I was thrilled to be there, but it still struck me as odd that cast members would be surprised (especially with all the locals at Disneyland). Dining wasn't a big deal since I just did quick service, and I walked from a nearby hotel.

I have gone to Epcot in some evenings and always found that fun. It was part of a trip with the kids, so it was a really cool break. I grabbed a beer and some food in World Showcase and watched Illuminations. I'd recommend it if you're looking for a quick break and the rest of your party is tired.

I'd love to do another short solo trip, but I'm not sure I could go and not take the girls now that they're 7 and almost 4. Still, I'm hoping to do it again some time. It definitely gives you a different perspective on the parks.

Traveling solo is such a great thing. My biggest problem is going back to traveling with the family after all that freedom. I get spoiled, doing exactly what I want, when I want. Sometimes I think I must be weird to love solo travel so much.

I was in Winter Park for a wedding with my DH. Planned a girls trip to Universal with my sister on Sunday - DH flew home. I was waiting for fares to drop and forgot it was MLK weekend. Anyway, couldn't get a flight home until Tuesday night at 9pm. Plan was to stay in Cabana Bay Resort after sister left - even bought 3 day ticket to Universal in anticipation of staying. I had been to Universal with DH and the kids maybe 8 years ago but my guys never wanted to go back they are Disney babies (now teenagers) LOL. About half way thru the day I was already planning ahead. Sister went on Hogwarts train and I made a beeline to customer service. Score! They agreed to just charge me for the day I was in the parks and return the next two days! (Something I am not sure Disney would do - it was much appreciated!) I was on my way. Quick call to WDW and I was booked in a king Little Mermaid room at the Art of Animation. I had stayed here with the kids when we had a late flight one trip and I fell in love with the theming and the price point. Great food court and pool bar. Lots of reasons I wanted to leave Universal. Dated rides, small park and I felt like I had already seen enough. That and it just doesn't have that magical feel. As a woman travelling alone I just wasn't feeling like I could walk down to City Walk and dine alone and feel comfortable like I knew I could at Disney.
My honest opinion about my first solo trip...I loved it!! We are going back in November so I didn't want to do all of the stuff I usually do with my guys. Couldn't do MK because walking down Main Street on our first day is our big tradition. Didn't want to do the new Soarin until I could do it with them. I did plan to go over to AK to see it lit up at night but I decided against it so I could see it for the first time with them when we tour Pandora. That left Epcot and HS. I did Test Track and the new Frozen in Norway. Small plates and prosecco in Italy. Grey Goose Slushy in France. Boat to HS. Tower of Terror 2x, Rock and Roll 2x, and Star Tours. Nice cocktail in Prime Time Cafe. Another one at the Brown Derby (don't judge lol). Fantasmic and then the Star Wars fireworks.
Home to the AofA and a couple of drinks at the pool bar where I chatted with lots of nice people then back to my room with my kids meal make your own pasta and make your own salad.
Next day I went to Disney Springs for lunch after sleeping in and packing up. Oysters and shrimp along with a mojito at the Boathouse bar on the lake and then back to the AofA for pool time and finally showering at pool facilities and dressing in my woolies for the trip home to the cold.
I had a ball. I did what I wanted and really enjoyed myself. I always felt safe, never for a moment did I feel awkward as a woman alone. In fact, I met quite a few women who were drinking at the bars by themselves. Some were just taking a break from the family but my favorite was the lady in Prime Time who was waiting for her DH to check into Bay Towers then come back to meet her. Apparently, she suffer from the same disease I do. I call it "change my room - itis". He didn't feel like moving so he was going to pick the room and make sure it would fit her exacting standards. My family doesn't even come in the door of a hotel room anymore. They just wait for me to inspect it and pretty much assume they are moving. When I got home and told my husband what her husband did he declared it "genius" and can't wait to try it. (that will NEVER happen LOL). Bottom line, I can't wait to do a solo trip again. I think 2 or 3 nights would be my limit. I did miss my family but I had a wonderful time!

Wow this post is old! On the flip side- I wound up moving and have since went to Disneyland for the first time ever and wound up doing 2 Solo Trips there!

I gotta say as much of a die hard WDW fan I will always be, Disneyland solo is awwweessoommee! I sure miss the Wishes fireworks, but Paint the Night and World of Color are on repeat for my upcoming trip. It's like a extra Pixie dusted Magic Kingdom.

It's funny rereading all of these responses and just laughing seeing as I'm set to go back to Disneyland in 2 weeks now with my bf and I kind of will actually miss being solo :)

How about the ride wait times as a solo traveler? I will only be there one day or maybe two in early May and am worried I'll spend all my time waiting in line in the heat aside from my fast passes. Is there a method to the madness? Thanks!

How about the ride wait times as a solo traveler? I will only be there one day or maybe two in early May and am worried I'll spend all my time waiting in line in the heat aside from my fast passes. Is there a method to the madness? Thanks!

A few of the popular rides have single rider lines you could enter.

wait times for solo riders are no different than anyone else, with the exception of the THREE rides that have single rider lines: Aerosmith RRC, Expedition everest, and test track.

Occasionally you might bypass a few people here or there if they are looking to fill up a row, but that is usually only when you get closer to the front of the line. I've seen this at Soarin' -- but at that point, you're only saving a little bit of time -- maybe 5 or 6 minutes. Might also happen at the Jungle Cruise and Kilimanjaro safari.

As pointed out, waits are really the same for everyone ... personally i like to arrive at rope drop, ride some rides, use fastpasses as it gets busy mixed in with lunch, and then watch shows and use bonus fast passes rest of the day ... everyone has their own methods to the madness :)

A solo trip varies in pros and cons. To be fair there are way more pros. I had read through these boards religiously though before I left and didn't really read what I had experienced so I just wanted to give my 2 cents on a solo trip.

I only went for 3 days before I met up with family but I did Downtown Disney, and Magic Kingdom for 2 days. In theory I could have done other parks but I chose MK based on my budget and my love of its overall themes. I also rented a AKL villa through David's DVC rentals and did not do the dining plan.

So let's start with the Pros. There is nothing more awesome than being entirely in control of your Disney experience and itinerary. I spent so much time in shops, trying new snacks, enjoying parades and shows, and re-riding my favorite rides multiple times. There was no rush, no meltdowns, and my face actually hurt from smiling so much on the rides ;)

Likewise my DVC rental was flawless. David's DVC rental hooked me up with an excellent room very last minute and I am extremely thankful for their professional and excellent service. They were great with communication along the way as well.

Ok now for the Cons. To be fair if I did a solo trip again it would be just as short, and I would apply the changes I noticed would help. In my opinion dining and transportation were the most awkward for me. Mind you I am a shy personality and so some people would not deal with this (but it still deserves to be said for anyone out there like me).

From the moment I boarded the Magical Express bus from the airport I knew I should've rented a car. I'm aware Disney resort guests get free parking but I just wanted to at least try the transportation. It was awkward for me because I was the only AKL guest on the bus and I do look younger than I am, so the bus driver gave me a "Sweetie are you lost?" Speech and sort of grudgingly drove out to the farthest resort. I practically ran off the bus.

I also had issues with my luggage being stuck at the airport way late because I went through the magical express. I teamed up with management at AKL who eventually made things right but it still started off on a weird foot.

I likewise felt awkward being alone on those transportation buses to the parks. I got similar speeches from those bus drivers. One bus driver lady said to me "Is it just you all by your lonesome self?" To which I laughed and said yes but I was excited to go ride my favorite ride splash mountain, she smiled. If I had rented a car I know I would have zipped between parks and avoided a majority of my awkwardness in those situations.

Secondly, dining of course is a subjective experience. The only place where I got sad looks was at Boma surprisingly. Funny enough I just played with my phone and my server at the end asked if I was a Disney employee because I was dining alone. I laughed and said no I was just a die hard Boma fan. But I could definitely see how having a distraction could be helpful for dining alone, I found myself a little more rushed to finish sit down meals and more prone to snacking.

Lastly- rides. I had great experiences on rides but the only one I found awkward was surprisingly Buzz Lightyears ride. I've gone on before (and of course killed it with points ;) ) but this time the ride attendants made it feel a little awkward. I even didn't feel awkward being alone on its a small world! Haha but yeah that was the only ride.

Overall, solo trips are awesome and if you're a Disney fanatic you must try them at least once! Don't get too much in your head but also know yourself and what would make for your best experience :)

I am doing a solo trip to the water parks next month, weather permitting. I will report back and let everyone know how that goes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter