HONEST detailed account of Solo Trip

My first solo trip last year I only had an ADR at The Plaza for a late lunch. I also did the Keys to the Kingdom tour. This trip coming up I am doing the afternoon tea, breakfast at BOG, and dinner at Raglan Road, and the Wild Africa Trek. I plan to go to Trader Sams too for a drink. I was going to just try to sit at the bar for Raglan Road, but decided to make an ADR in case it is crowded. Really looking forward to it!

I went solo back in October/2012. Stayed a week and had a blast. Drove by myself from Tennessee to Florida and never really had any of those awkward moments. It was an anniversary trip of sorts. My hubby and i went for our honeymoon and promised to go back for our 10th anniversary. Well, he passed before we reached our 5th but I was determined to make this trip in his memory. There were some emotional moments when I came upon places we had been to but otherwise it was fun. I was determined to make friends. I never rode a ride alone and chatted with folks in lines. Met many people that I still keep in touch with today. Planning my next trip next year and am in full Planning Mode. I recommend going alone but make sure your attitude is in the right place.

Besides, the Napa Rose or Cathay Circle is a lot cheaper for one than for two!

This is why I prefer to go solo. It's always cheaper to do expensive things alone. If I always went with my family, I would never get to experience these things. My family is too big to stay in the same room of a deluxe Disney hotel and would think it too ridiculous to put money toward staying at one. Traveling to WDW with others is not normal for me.

Hi RighteousssCrush, thanks for sharing your experiences! Most of my comments will be in line with what others have shared, but as a self proclaimed "expert" solo traveler I just had to add my 2 cents. :)

So let's start with the Pros. There is nothing more awesome than being entirely in control of your Disney experience and itinerary. I spent so much time in shops, trying new snacks, enjoying parades and shows, and re-riding my favorite rides multiple times. There was no rush, no meltdowns, and my face actually hurt from smiling so much on the rides ;)

First, I'm glad to hear you had a great trip! One of the main benefits of going solo is doing exactly what you want to do, whether that is ride every ride or stop and smell the roses.

Ok now for the Cons. To be fair if I did a solo trip again it would be just as short, and I would apply the changes I noticed would help. In my opinion dining and transportation were the most awkward for me. Mind you I am a shy personality and so some people would not deal with this (but it still deserves to be said for anyone out there like me).

My solo trips to WDW have all been the short duration as well, usually around 3-4 days. Orlando is only a 2 hour direct flight from Nashville so that makes it very easy. Usually if I'm planning to stay a week or longer then I'll have family or friends with me. :)

I likewise felt awkward being alone on those transportation buses to the parks. I got similar speeches from those bus drivers. One bus driver lady said to me "Is it just you all by your lonesome self?" To which I laughed and said yes but I was excited to go ride my favorite ride splash mountain, she smiled. If I had rented a car I know I would have zipped between parks and avoided a majority of my awkwardness in those situations.

Usually I will rent a car when visiting WDW, because good deals can usually be found if you're not going at a busy time (check kayak.com, priceline.com or hotwire.com closer to your trip). The time saved is worth it for me (especially if I'm going to Universal from Disney property), but I understand it may not be to someone else!

As far as comments from cast members, I don't remember many comments about me being solo with the exception of dining. Maybe it's more common for a guy traveling alone vs. a girl traveling alone - so that may be why I don't get many comments. I've heard a lot of people, if they notice you are solo (I think less people notice then we really think), just think you are separated from your party for a bit. I don't think CM have bad intentions, they just talk before they think sometimes like all of us. :)

Dining can be awkward, especially the "Just one?" comments, but it's not uncommon for me to dine solo back at home if it's somewhere I really want to eat at.

I'm introverted, so at the end of the day I need my "me" time to recharge (maybe that's why I enjoy solo trips on another level - be at my happy place with just my thoughts). But at the end of the day, I still crave social activity as well. So I talk to CM's at every opportunity. Ask them how their day is going, etc. I also do the same in lines - it's really easy to tell if someone will be open to having a conversation with a complete stranger after a few words. I basically just try to be positive and that tends to work out well for me. Just because you're solo at WDW doesn't mean you're "alone".

Again, I'm sure all this has been touched on but I really wanted to share my experiences. :)

I have been only to WDW twice and DL once. The second trip to WDW was a solo trip. I asked family and friends to go with me but they didn't want to go or couldn't afford it so I went solo. It was a fun trip and I enjoyed it a lot. Rode rides multiple times without worrying if someone was bored, ate where I wanted to and changed my plans when I felt like it. I have no problems eating alone and was reading or playing on my phone.

Met some nice people while waiting in line, on the bus and waiting for Fantasmic to start. Met a nice family from Canada on the bus back from EPCOT and invited me to sit with them at the food court at POP cause it was raining really hard and no one wanted to go back the the rooms. I politely turned them down.

I never got strange looks(that I noticed) when meeting characters. The only "awkward" meet I had was with a green army man outside toy story mania. I was getting an autograph and some guy was trying to take a picture of the army man while I was standing there. The army man thought the guy was with me and was starting to pose with me. I told him no I am here by myself. The army man gave a big hug and I went on my way. My only thought was that the guy could wait a minute till I was gone to try and get a picture.

From the moment I boarded the Magical Express bus from the airport I knew I should've rented a car. I'm aware Disney resort guests get free parking but I just wanted to at least try the transportation. It was awkward for me because I was the only AKL guest on the bus and I do look younger than I am, so the bus driver gave me a "Sweetie are you lost?" Speech and sort of grudgingly drove out to the farthest resort. I practically ran off the bus.

I'd agree with this. I did my first solo trip 2 weeks ago, and the only time I felt awkward was on the Magical Express bus. I was the last one on the bus, it was already basically full, so I had to cruise down the aisle looking for a seat while everyone stared at me. I ended up renting a one way return rental from the Car Care Center, because I just didn't want to deal with it again.

I'd agree with this. I did my first solo trip 2 weeks ago, and the only time I felt awkward was on the Magical Express bus. I was the last one on the bus, it was already basically full, so I had to cruise down the aisle looking for a seat while everyone stared at me. I ended up renting a one way return rental from the Car Care Center, because I just didn't want to deal with it again.

No need to be self conscious about it. People have no idea why you're solo, and ultimately the only reason they were looking at you was because there's nothing else to do while you're waiting for the bus to depart. You could be in town for a convention at the Disney World area. My last trip with friends had people arriving from different cities at different times, and most of us came in solo.

No need to be self conscious about it. People have no idea why you're solo, and ultimately the only reason they were looking at you was because there's nothing else to do while you're waiting for the bus to depart. You could be in town for a convention at the Disney World area. My last trip with friends had people arriving from different cities at different times, and most of us came in solo.

I agree! There have been times my all adult family is meeting up at the resort - my parents would drive down from Nashville and meet up at the resort with my CM sister, then I'd fly in from NYC and rather than make them drive out to MCO I just take DME. So I'm solo on there, but with a family. Likewise, I've gone to meet up with friends and we were all coming in from different places at different times and no one was going to hang around MCO for hours so we met up at the resort. And then there are the times I truly AM solo. No biggie.

If people are going to judge, that's on them, NOT you. Just smile and keep going, knowing you are off to have a magical vacation!

I have always enjoyed my solo trips and going back next month, staying at AS Sports. I have never felt awkward but maybe it helps that I am a very outgoing person who never shuts up. lol. I thought me being solo helped me with the restaurants because my waiters paid me extra special attention. I engaged in many conversations on the bus ride to the parks.

The only time I felt awkward was when I went to sleep at night and was just that, sleeping alone.

Very true...I'm definitely not going to wait around for someone to go with me. I have friends that have been married for years who can't imagine going on vacation by themselves. And they think I am crazy sometimes because I do. One friend actually said to me...don't you want to wait and do those things when you have a husband? LOL. Um, no. Who knows if I will ever even get married...and I am not about to sit around, doing nothing, waiting for something that may or may not ever happen. Life is way too short for that![/QUO
Very true...I'm definitely not going to wait around for someone to go with me. I have friends that have been married for years who can't imagine going on vacation by themselves. And they think I am crazy sometimes because I do. One friend actually said to me...don't you want to wait and do those things when you have a husband? LOL. Um, no. Who knows if I will ever even get married...and I am not about to sit around, doing nothing, waiting for something that may or may not ever happen. Life is way too short for that!
Lol - I am married and I'll be doing my second solo trip in May. I love my husband and daughter dearly, and they usually come with me, but my DH knows how much I love my alone time too - just to be in my own space with my own thoughts - not having to plan for, wait for or consider anyone else. He gave me a one week solo trip as a Christmas present!

I think thats pretty cool, Im very independent, but not sure I want to go to Disney alone, think id enjoy a girls trip.

I always seem to make friends even when I'm not trying on my trips, and I've only ever really been to Disney solo. I make friends in the bus line (mostly because I'll wait for a new bus rather than cram into one) and I take full advantage of chatty waiters. When I was in Morimoto Asia I was in a little tented off area and ended up making friends with the group of drunk people next to me. I've helped people in the parks as well. I have gotten a few sad looks before because I'm a younger looking girl, but anyone that's ever pointed out my soloness just gets a speech about how awesome it is to be alone. Even on the plane which is where I really want to be left alone I make friends with whoever is stuck next to me. I wouldn't consider myself super outgoing or chatty by any means either.

When people in my personal life give me the oh poor you talk/look about traveling alone (I've traveled a lot of the world solo) I remind them that you can't wait around for others to do the things you want to. Right now I'm younger with no spouse, children, or family that depend on me. It's an amazing time to do these things because I might not always be able to. If I waited for my boyfriend or my friends to want to go somewhere or have the money to then I wouldn't get the chance to do half of what I do. It's not that I don't have people in my life it's that I don't want to wait for them which might be a little selfish, but I can live with that.

Though I will admit my post Disney funk normally includes random urges to get married and have a kid which I never have at any other time haha

I made my first solo trip June 2014, it was a 3-day no parks trip. I was just in Disney for an interview. I am extremely introverted, however I lived in Chicago alone for 7 years so things like dining out or taking public transit by myself don't feel awkward anymore I guess. During my 4 months on the College Program I visited the parks solo nearly every single day, no dining/transportation though. And then next month I'm going for 8 days solo, Disney and Universal. It is amazing being able to follow your whims and not have to worry about what others want to do (as selfish as it sounds). Doing single rider line at Everest 12 times in a row until you're so dizzy from the backwards turns in the dark that you have to take a break? Sure! Spend a day resort hopping and trying different foods instead of commando touring? Absolutely!

The only cons I can think of are 1. I'm a little paranoid about my safety at night at the hotel, as I don't look a day older than 16 and am a woman alone. and 2. Can't do character meals as there's no one to take your picture (I would not be comfortable interrupting a family's meal to ask the neighboring table!)

I am doing my first solo trip in March. It will be quick as the first part of the week older son playing tennis tournament in Altamonte springs. Couldn't be that close and not go . Son has to go back to college with the team , younger son doesn't have spring break until beginning of April , and husband staying home with him. I am actually very excited about the doing what I want when I want .

I am also a little worried about solo meals . At first , I was only going to do QS but then thought why not . I am trying Via Napoli for lunch , going back to LTT for the first time in a long time for lunch , and CP for breakfast ( gone for dinner several times but never breakfast). For some reason , my only worry is not having someone to hold the table when I go to the buffet. I keep picturing myself with two plates so I don't have to worry about going back up. I know this is silly and I will be fine.

Will be during spring break so I know it will be busier than when we normally go . I have been reading here and mentally preparing myself. I think solo during this time will be a bonus ! Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences .

Great article. I did my own first solo adventure back in early December. I avoided sit down restaurants though because they serve way too much food for me.

I've found listening to pod casts to be a great way to wait in line.

So great to hear about others' solo trips! I am going alone for a week in April, and while I usually have no problem being alone (I have traveled extensively by myself around the world), somehow Disney feels a bit different. It's such a family place! But that's okay... I'm going to go and indulge my inner child as I turn 40. Why not??

Thank you, everyone, for sharing your experiences!

So great to hear about others' solo trips! I am going alone for a week in April, and while I usually have no problem being alone (I have traveled extensively by myself around the world), somehow Disney feels a bit different. It's such a family place! But that's okay... I'm going to go and indulge my inner child as I turn 40. Why not??

Thank you, everyone, for sharing your experiences!
I'll be there the 4-7

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter