HONEST detailed account of Solo Trip

RighteouusssCrush

Fin, Noggin', Duuuddee
A solo trip varies in pros and cons. To be fair there are way more pros. I had read through these boards religiously though before I left and didn't really read what I had experienced so I just wanted to give my 2 cents on a solo trip.

I only went for 3 days before I met up with family but I did Downtown Disney, and Magic Kingdom for 2 days. In theory I could have done other parks but I chose MK based on my budget and my love of its overall themes. I also rented a AKL villa through David's DVC rentals and did not do the dining plan.

So let's start with the Pros. There is nothing more awesome than being entirely in control of your Disney experience and itinerary. I spent so much time in shops, trying new snacks, enjoying parades and shows, and re-riding my favorite rides multiple times. There was no rush, no meltdowns, and my face actually hurt from smiling so much on the rides ;)

Likewise my DVC rental was flawless. David's DVC rental hooked me up with an excellent room very last minute and I am extremely thankful for their professional and excellent service. They were great with communication along the way as well.

Ok now for the Cons. To be fair if I did a solo trip again it would be just as short, and I would apply the changes I noticed would help. In my opinion dining and transportation were the most awkward for me. Mind you I am a shy personality and so some people would not deal with this (but it still deserves to be said for anyone out there like me).

From the moment I boarded the Magical Express bus from the airport I knew I should've rented a car. I'm aware Disney resort guests get free parking but I just wanted to at least try the transportation. It was awkward for me because I was the only AKL guest on the bus and I do look younger than I am, so the bus driver gave me a "Sweetie are you lost?" Speech and sort of grudgingly drove out to the farthest resort. I practically ran off the bus.

I also had issues with my luggage being stuck at the airport way late because I went through the magical express. I teamed up with management at AKL who eventually made things right but it still started off on a weird foot.

I likewise felt awkward being alone on those transportation buses to the parks. I got similar speeches from those bus drivers. One bus driver lady said to me "Is it just you all by your lonesome self?" To which I laughed and said yes but I was excited to go ride my favorite ride splash mountain, she smiled. If I had rented a car I know I would have zipped between parks and avoided a majority of my awkwardness in those situations.

Secondly, dining of course is a subjective experience. The only place where I got sad looks was at Boma surprisingly. Funny enough I just played with my phone and my server at the end asked if I was a Disney employee because I was dining alone. I laughed and said no I was just a die hard Boma fan. But I could definitely see how having a distraction could be helpful for dining alone, I found myself a little more rushed to finish sit down meals and more prone to snacking.

Lastly- rides. I had great experiences on rides but the only one I found awkward was surprisingly Buzz Lightyears ride. I've gone on before (and of course killed it with points ;) ) but this time the ride attendants made it feel a little awkward. I even didn't feel awkward being alone on its a small world! Haha but yeah that was the only ride.

Overall, solo trips are awesome and if you're a Disney fanatic you must try them at least once! Don't get too much in your head but also know yourself and what would make for your best experience :)

Interesting! Thanks for offering a different perspective! I am taking my first solo trip there in July. I'm pretty outgoing and have traveled alone a lot and have definitely dined alone a lot. So I'm very used to going places and doing things by myself. I haven't been worried about experiencing awkwardness while there...but the one thing I wonder is if I will feel lonely to some degree. My other trips to WDW as an adult were all with my boyfriend at the time. So I wonder if being around so many people all with family members and loved ones...if that will be hard. I'm excited though. I'm likely moving to Orlando next year so I'm mostly going to be exploring Orlando. Just staying on property for 3 days and having some park fun. :)

definitely have had the same experience in restaurants - of course with my allergies I get attention anyway, that is why DVC is easier for me - just go to the grocery store - then I do my own cooking. It is cheaper that way too.

yea - seem the sad face of the CM when I get on rides alone - but hey it is MY choice and you have to understand that some of the CM are out going enough to run for office. They are by nature very, very friendly people. Most friendly people actually like to go to places in groups. Which is something I hated when forced to do it.

I like my alone time - heck love my alone time - some people can't imagination going places alone. Where I generally love it.

Everyone faces being alone on their terms - if I had to wait for someone to go with me to WDW that either might not happen or I would end up paying for everything and being mad. Or even worst they would consider themselves my guests and then expect me to do what they wanted to do.

I am better off going alone.

Very true...I'm definitely not going to wait around for someone to go with me. I have friends that have been married for years who can't imagine going on vacation by themselves. And they think I am crazy sometimes because I do. One friend actually said to me...don't you want to wait and do those things when you have a husband? LOL. Um, no. Who knows if I will ever even get married...and I am not about to sit around, doing nothing, waiting for something that may or may not ever happen. Life is way too short for that!

I have been to Disney World a few times alone but enjoy the time with family or a friend and love it so much I can do a few sit down dinners alone.I had my car with me both times I was alone but I make convos with people when riding the trans alone.

I've been on 7 solo trips, and the only time I remember someone commenting on me being alone was a 9-10 year old boy on my recent trip. We were on a DTD bus and he struck up a conversation with me, which included the "Are you the only one in your family here?" question. Maybe it's because I'm used to solo trips, so if it happened, I either wouldn't notice it or would forget it quickly.

That's a bummer you felt so much awkwardness on your solo trip. I'm curious as to why your thread title starts with HONEST in bold letters. That leads me to believe you think anyone who wrote a solo trip report was hiding the fact they felt awkward just to play it up to the readers.

Really not trying to be snarky. That's just how it looks.

I went on my first solo trip this past February for 10 days. I would agree that there are times that you feel awkward at table service meals while everyone has company. With that said, you try and make the most of it. A few meals I actually meet up with someone. That helped a little but most of the time I felt pretty comfortable in my own little world. Most waitresses were very pleasant and nice. The only problem I had was with this one server at T-Rex. Talking about being rushed, I was done with dinner and out the door within 20 minutes. Let's just say, I am not going there anytime soon.

As far as feeling uneasy on buses, I would say I felt pretty comfortable. I had my birthday pin and got a lot of happy birthday wishes. Also I am very outgoing and very chatty. I can talk to anyone and would have to say being like that helps on a solo trip. On most rides I was fine as well. I ate at Boma and never felt awkward at all. The waiter was nice and I also tend to think, being a buffet helped as well. Just because you more or less, serve yourself. I would take pictures of the food, and show them off to friends. People at the next table would ask for me to take pictures of them and they would if I like a picture of me at my table. I guess it is different for all of us. I am very independent and I love the freedom of doing this and that on my own. Felt the best in the mornings. Just taking my time and doing what I felt like.

Another plus for me was the resort I stayed at. I have stayed previously stayed at Wilderness Lodge but this time, I stayed at Pop Century to save money. Let me tell you, hands down there staff were amazing. They were so friendly, polite, considerate , etc etc. They blew away the Wilderness Lodge staff. The food court was good. Only negative was buses, but oh well. They made me feel right at home. I am considering another solo hopefully next February again. So we'll see.

For the most part, sounds like you had a great time minus some little issues. If you go next time try and connect and maybe meet up with a diser for a meal or park day. That always helps.

Thanks for sharing your experience :) I've been wanting to do a solo trip after our last trip made me realize that I'll never get to do things my way traveling with my large family. But the thought of dining alone makes me nervous LOL.

I'm looking forward to my first solo trip to Disneyland this fall. I've traveled solo before I married and am doing so with Disney because my husband isn't interested. The only thing I'm a little undecided about is whether I will do any table service meals. I've eaten alone in restaurants many times without batting an eye, but doing so at Disneyland...I'm not sure. Just expressing that thought tells me that I need to push this boundary and not give into it. Besides, the Napa Rose or Cathay Circle is a lot cheaper for one than for two!

I have a solo trip booked for next year and I cannot WAIT. I'm an old hat at solo traveling and thus at solo eating and solo touring, including a day and a half solo at DL last year, so I'm not concerned for myself. I take a book if I'm going to be eating at a sit down restaurant but make do with my phone at CS places. But of course everyone's mileage is going to vary :). It's all about doing what makes you as an individual comfortable!

I did Universal solo back in January, and the only awkwardness was checking into the resort when I was asked when everybody else was arriving. In the park people didn't care, maybe they assumed the rest of my party were elsewhere. And riding the Harry Potter rides solo was awesome because you often get sat with huge fans.

I then did Lotte World in Korea solo last week, with no awkwardness at all. Partly because of the language barrier, partly because Koreans are just so friendly.

So I'm not too worried about doing Disney World solo next year. But I'm aware I'll probably miss out on certain things by only doing rides I want rather than letting others drag me along to things I don't know I'll enjoy. The ability to change plans without worrying about anyone else makes up for that though.

I don't particularly enjoy dining alone, mostly because waiters don't understand that a solo diner usually doesn't care about sitting around after the meal enjoying the atmosphere - they just want to pay the bill and move on. So I'll probably be mostly doing quick service meals and spending time on social media while waiting.

Thank you so much for this honest and open review of your solo experience. As a prospective solo traveler, I'm always happy to hear about how other solo-goers are doing :)

I went to MK and DHS alone on a family trip last year and it's funny how our two experiences relate. I'm on the younger side, too, and totally got the "sweetie are you all by yourself????" treatment from not only employees, but Cinderella herself. :rotfl: I also played on my phone while I was eating!!! It helps a lot, right?

Can we expect a TR from you? I'd love to hear more about your solo adventure :)

Very true...I'm definitely not going to wait around for someone to go with me. I have friends that have been married for years who can't imagine going on vacation by themselves. And they think I am crazy sometimes because I do. One friend actually said to me...don't you want to wait and do those things when you have a husband? LOL. Um, no. Who knows if I will ever even get married...and I am not about to sit around, doing nothing, waiting for something that may or may not ever happen. Life is way too short for that!

Hi Christy,
I can completely relate to people pressuring you to find somebody else to go with, contant asking if i am going alone,etc..I admit i really let it get to me but eventually took the plunge for the very reasons you stated :-) I asked my sister and some friends and nobody could or wanted to go. So what am I to do? Sit around and wait? I lost my husband in a motorcyle accident almost three years ago. So i know how short life is and I don't want to sit around waiting on things that may never happen.

I just took my first solo trip to WDW in April. I had 4 whole days for the parks. I had a great time and am wanting to go again this Fall and check out Universal this time. I didn't experience any questions from the bus drivers. Everyone was friendly. I'll admit i felt a little awkward saying it was only 1 when CM asked how many in the party for the rides. But nobody questioned me and everyone seemed real friendly. I did quick service for my meals and was okay. I would like to try some table service next time. I did have lunch at BOG and that was great. Got a table buy the double doors with the snow falling. So i could look across the room and not feel self conscious.

I don't particularly enjoy dining alone, mostly because waiters don't understand that a solo diner usually doesn't care about sitting around after the meal enjoying the atmosphere - they just want to pay the bill and move on. So I'll probably be mostly doing quick service meals and spending time on social media while waiting.

definitely understand this one. what I generally do is when they come back to see how you are doing - they generally do this while you are eating at least twice - so ask for the bill then - even if I am still eating. Now don't expect it immediately - they have to make the bill and go get it. but you get it a heck of lot sooner than waiting for them to bring it to you.

my big problem with Disney is some people are romantic my nature. Had to complaint to keep the CM from putting me close to single males.... hate to make force conversation with anyone. put me near a family and everyone gets a long.

I felt the same way when planning my solo trip. I was at a movie and all I could think about was leaving the movie and calling Disney and making plans for a solo trip. Life is too short. There are no guarantees. Sometimes you have to just go for it! Your words are very true by the way. Waiting for something that may or may not happen. Those words cannot be any truer with dealing with life imo. Cheers to you.

I have done three solo trips to Disney, with a fourth scheduled and have never once had an employee comment. Other guests have occassionally said something and I usually respond how great it is to be alone (cause it is). But then I have done Europe twice myself and am used to doing stuff solo.

The only really hard thing is getting a table at a QS because there is no one with me to nab free seats while I get food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter