Homeschooled child concern

You've asked and were given an answer. I'd zip it at this point and support the decision.

If you don't have kids, you may not be aware of suicides that result from bullying. I would absolutely home school my child if he/she was being bullied and I was concerned about safety.

I have a 14 year old and getting her off social media at night and in bed at a decent hour is a struggle.

Research actually shows that teens benefit from a later start to school than younger kids. Here's a summary article: http://time.com/4741147/school-start-time/ Sleeping in until 11:00 wouldn't bother me. Heck, I encourage my daughter to get as much sleep as possible. Now that she's in high school, the poor thing gets less sleep than me.

If you're really concerned about your niece, how about planning some educational outings that would coincide with her curriculum? That would help you connect with her and give your brother/sister a break.

I wasn't coming back but her question wasn't about homeschooling per se, she voiced her opinion when noone asked her. She was basically criticizing the other parents parenting style. Homeschool or not - not your kid keep your unsolicited opinions to yourself. Then gut all butt hurt when noone was appreciative of that & told her to mind her business.

Edited to add - I have 1 DGD who is Homeschooled & 1 in public, the 3rd who knows where she will land but I trust their parents to do their best for them. Their kids - their business

The title of the thread is Home school Child so that is why I said what I did.

I never said she should have or have not voiced her opinion.

And I don't have an issue with homeschooling. As long as the child is being educated in some way. And if her niece is reading above grade level, then obviously she is.

The title of the thread is Home school Child so that is why I said what I did.

I never said she should have or have not voiced her opinion.

And I don't have an issue with homeschooling. As long as the child is being educated in some way. And if her niece is reading above grade level, then obviously she is.

But that was the question, it was all about her opinion and how "she" feels not the parents. She was told she is getting straight As and still not her kid.

I will agree its non of your business, but also agree letting you child sleep in till 11 on a school is a very poor practice. Lets hope they like their kids, cause my guess is they will still be living at home at age 35

But that was the question, it was all about her opinion and how "she" feels not the parents. She was told she is getting straight As and still not her kid.

Ok?

I didn't say it was her kid. I didn't say she should keep giving her opinion. I simply said her niece will be fine.

What is this? I don't pile on with the "mind your own business" so whatever I say must be debated? i didn't say anything about what anyone else said.

I will agree its non of your business, but also agree letting you child sleep in till 11 on a school is a very poor practice. Lets hope they like their kids, cause my guess is they will still be living at home at age 35

Heh, I let my son sleep in all the time when we homeschooled. And, later, until 2 or 3 in the afternoon on weekends and all summer. He moved out into his own place at 18 and is currently in university and working.

What's so awful about letting your kid sleep in?

(It's actually my early riser who is still at home at age 21, and I'm very happy to have her live here while she attends university!)

Heh, I let my son sleep in all the time when we homeschooled. And, later, until 2 or 3 in the afternoon on weekends and all summer. He moved out into his own place at 18 and is currently in university and working.

What's so awful about letting your kid sleep in?

(It's actually my early riser who is still at home at age 21, and I'm very happy to have her live here while she attends university!)
My son did too. And now he is in college and prefers early morning classes. That way he is out earlier. And that of course, gives him more available hours for work.

So, yes, he slept until about 10, when he was in high school. And now he gets up as early as he needs to leave for class or work.

I honestly fail to see how this is any of your business. It doesn't affect your life in any way so why are you making it your business? :sad2:

Someone very close to me has been home-schooling her 12 year old daughter this year after an issue with bullies last year. It seems like she lets her wake up whenever she wants (sometimes as late as 11:00am!) on school days because, well, she doesn't have to get up for school. She's homeschooled! And she also lets her go on Facebook in the middle of the night. I just don't get it. She has the Facebook parental controls set right, but I always felt like Facebook should not be allowed for someone that age, and if it is allowed, to only be allowed in moderation and very limited use.

When I try and offer my opinion, the response is "she's getting straight A's, and is reading at a ninth grade level, yada yada".

Would this be concerning to anyone else?

No, this would not be of any concern to me - even the late night computer usage because, as you said, she has parental controls set.

I know a girl who goes to traditional school & who has been on Facebook long into the middle of the night.

Have you ever done any kind of research on homeschooling? Have you ever done any research on sleep cycles & sleep in pre-teens/teens?

Do you realize that this family's schedule & values/standards for their family might be different than yours & that that's okay?

DH has a really weird work schedule which is one of the reasons we homeschool. If he has an off-day in the middle of the week, we might actually do school on Saturday instead.

Is how other people are raising their children really any of your business?

I would surmise that if you or I or any of the DISers started discussing all the different ways we parent, we'd soon be criticizing all the different ways we parent.

Stay-at-home or Working-away-from-Home?
Breast or Bottle?
How long did our children stay in rear-facing carseats? How long did they stay in a carseat? When they went to a booster, was it a high-back booster? How long did they stay in a booster seat?
Do we feed our children all organic, non-GMO foods? Do our children drink soft drinks?
Did we cut our children's grapes & hot dogs when they were little so they wouldn't choke?
Do we let our children play outside by themselves? Walk to the park by themselves? Walk to school?
Do we let our younger children watch R-rated movies?
Do we have parental controls on our children's phones?
Private school or public school or homeschool?
Too many extracurricular activities? Not enough extracurricular activities?

And the list could go on & on.... We could judge for days.

But wouldn't it be nicer if we extended fellow parents a little grace & kindness?

And isn't it nice to know we all don't have to fit into the same square box, & we don't have to fit our children into the same square box either?

Aw... your daughter sounds like me at that age. :(

If it's any help at all, the only thing that helped was changing schools. Repeatedly. Each time I got a fresh start, and could try not to repeat the social mistakes of the past. This, plus maturity on my part, eventually led to me finding my first "real" friend in Grade Seven. And eventually, by high school, I even had a small circle of friends.

My daughter didn't have friends in middle school, either, but unlike me, no one was overtly cruel to her. They just ignored her and she ignored them, burying herself in books. She was very surprised, in eighth grade, to discover that people liked her, even if they didn't want to be friends with her. And in Grade 9, she found her first real friend, but unfortunately by Grade 11 she was back to being generally-liked-but-friendless again. Fortunately, circumstances change! She's been in university for four years now, worked in a biolab most of that time, and she actually has a social life (lunches with friends, occasional gaming) for the first time ever.

Not everyone has tons of friends. Not everyone needs tons of friends. And sometimes it just takes you longer to find your people. :goodvibes

ferdinand33.jpg

Anyone remember this storybook? Ferdinand the Bull. His mother was wise, and when she saw that he didn't want to run and butt heads with all the other little bulls, she let him be alone.

Thank you for that! This is exactly my DD. She's well-liked & has a pleasant personality - she just has never been one to have bunches of friends & a huge social circle. She's an introvert & very content w/ her books & her writing.

The other night, she & I had a talk about some different things. While she's confident in who she is & likes who she is, every now & then I think she worries a bit that she *should* have more friends & be more social. It's always nice to be able to tell her about others who are similar.

Last edited:
If I thought she wasn't getting an education or thought she seemed depressed or whatever, I'd be worried. But, nothing you've mentioned indicates either of those scenarios.
If she's learning and she's happy, it's all good.

I've got a large, extensive family. We all do things differently, and our kids are all very different. What works for A, may not work for B or C, but D is okay with it. If that makes sense. We had social butterflies, extreme introverts, anxious kids, moody kids, kids who never had to work in school to kids who studied constantly... And now that the kids are almost all grown, what really comes home to me is that they are all fine, different, but doing fine...

That quiet kid who never talked at family gatherings? He's happily married with a baby and a job... That obnoxious three-year-old hellion is a straight-A college student in a competitive science major. The jokester who never took anything seriously is doing well in high school and loving sports and activities. The anxiety ridden middle schooler (the one I worried about the most) came into his own in high school, found his place in the world, and is impressing me more every day. The hyper kiddo who destroyed nearly everything he owned taking it apart or just playing too rough is the most gentle soul who thinks deeper than most adults I know - can't wait to see what he becomes...

OP, just be a great aunt, offer support if you see a need. It doesn't sound like there is anything "bad" going on. Just enjoy your niece, they grow up so fast.

I homeschooled both my kids at one point. One was an early riser and the other one did sleep till 10 or 11. I found if one daughter slept later she was able to do her work in a more focused manner. They stayed up late sometimes and went to bed early other evenings.

I can see where it would be alarming to you if you have no experience with homeschool but I promise some non traditional approaches can work. As an aunt I understand your concern and you probably just want what's best for the child. Take a deep breath though and trust that this family is doing what they think is best for their child. If you are that concerned about the social might I suggest you look into the homeschool community and see what activities they have. Be a support and say, " hey...I found this homeschool swim team, volleyball team, etc...that your daughter may be interested in." It took my kids a semester but eventually they started getting involved.

The good news is my one daughter is a freshman in college and doing great and the other late sleeper decided to go back to a traditional high school and was up and out the door at 7:30 am this morning. Traditional school is not the be all, end all like I used to believe.

It's true that it's "none of your business" but that doesn't mean you can't be concerned. Being up all night on the computer concerns me.... she isn't in school and has no friends.... exactly who is she "talking" to in the middle of the night? The truth is, none of us know who is on the other end of the computer.

My only question is do you trust the parents to do their best for her or is anything else going on that's nudging your subconcious? Sometimes its hard to articulate exactly what's wrong, but if you feel something "off" you need to speak to your sibling about it. They may already be trying to deal with it. Be a sympathetic ear. Don't be accusatory. If you think her parents are actually endangering her (as opposed to just having different parenting styles - there's a huge difference between the two) call CPS.

All the OP mentioned was that her niece is homeschooled and she sleeps until 11. Can I ask why you think it sounds like BS homeschooling?

Perhaps because it doesn't sound very disciplined - Although the student is still young, having discipline is a good trait. How many hours are being devoted to studying? Getting up at 11, showering, getting dressed, eating, then settling into studying? For how long? An hour or two? Up all night on the computer, doing what? Parental controls are iffy, at the best. My 12 year old niece got around ours on her second day of visiting us, and English is her second language. She figured it out in a matter of days in a second language...

Straight A's from who? The parent?

Perhaps because it doesn't sound very disciplined - Although the student is still young, having discipline is a good trait. How many hours are being devoted to studying? Getting up at 11, showering, getting dressed, eating, then settling into studying? For how long? An hour or two? Up all night on the computer, doing what? Parental controls are iffy, at the best.
This is my first thought as well. I too am curious as to how the parent is assigning grades (all As, too!).

To each his own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter