Homecomin’ or Boathouse

The food at Homecomin' is amazing, one of our favorites. But the atmosphere and views at Boathouse are better, IMO. So its tough for me to say. If you're interested in the best food, good with Homecomin'. If you want an evening where food is only one part of the dining experience (atmosphere being important), I would go with Boathouse.

Haven’t been to Homecomin but the atmosphere st Boathouse on a busy weekend was loud, chaotic, and overly crowded. The food was just ok and not worth putting up with the atmosphere. My sister’s party was seated in a quieter room, so she enjoyed the experience more than I did (she wasn’t wowed with the food but would go back).

However, Homecomin gets really mixed reviews. I’d just go with whatever restaurant’s menu appealed most and hope for a good experience.

We have eaten at both. We might be the only ones who were less than impressed with the food at Homecomin'. The chicken was okay. The mashed potatoes were runny (had to eat with a spoon) and tasted funny. Didn't like the seasoning at all. The biscuits were loaded with cheese, which was okay with me but my husband hates anything with cheese in it! We were overcharged for it too, to add insult to injury.
However, we ate at the Boathouse for our anniversary dinner, and it was fantastic. Great service, excellent food prepared to perfection, and interesting surroundings. I think kids would love the boathouse atmosphere with the aqua boats outside. There were many families of all ages there. I would highly recommend Boathouse over Homecomin' anytime.
We didn't care for it at all either but we just thought it was because the both of us were born and bred in Tennessee and South Carolina and we know what true Southern cooking is supposed to be as opposed to fancied up southern lol. My friend got the bbq and sent it back because she said, "this doesn't taste like any bbq I've ever had." and I had to agree. Some things don't need a fancy make over. I had the chicken sliders because I wanted to try this amazing chicken he's famous for and ....it was just chicken. My friend didn't even want anything else so she just ate some of mine. We also tried the hummingbird cake that Oprah said she had him make for her birthday every year and even that was no big deal. It tasted like banana nut bread with frosting and the name implies a super light and fluffy extravaganza! LOL Nothing light about it and boring. Not gross just average. This place reminded me of Paula Deen's chain restaurants. Fancy Southern, not anything resembling actual home cooking. That being said...I'd try Boathouse. lol

We didn't care for it at all either but we just thought it was because the both of us were born and bred in Tennessee and South Carolina and we know what true Southern cooking is supposed to be as opposed to fancied up southern lol. My friend got the bbq and sent it back because she said, "this doesn't taste like any bbq I've ever had." and I had to agree. Some things don't need a fancy make over. I had the chicken sliders because I wanted to try this amazing chicken he's famous for and ....it was just chicken. My friend didn't even want anything else so she just ate some of mine. We also tried the hummingbird cake that Oprah said she had him make for her birthday every year and even that was no big deal. It tasted like banana nut bread with frosting and the name implies a super light and fluffy extravaganza! LOL Nothing light about it and boring. Not gross just average. This place reminded me of Paula Deen's chain restaurants. Fancy Southern, not anything resembling actual home cooking. That being said...I'd try Boathouse. lol
LOL! I had to laugh, because we are from Tennessee too. We now live up North, but we KNOW good southern cooking, and Homecomin just was not! We felt the same way as you did. We were really disappointed because we thought this was "good southern cooking" because of all the hype. Needless to say, we won't be back.

This southerner has been to Homecomin' many many times and is never disappointed but I may have just hit them on good days. It's one of our favorites both for dinner and for brunch.

Boathouse food was good but the tables were so close together, and it was so loud and busy, that it was hard to enjoy. We were hoping for a nice, date night environment and it was not that. It's sort-of overwhelming. They have several rooms so next time we would request a quieter space.

Went to Boathouse with my boss and her husband when we were in Disney for a conference. I stressed over where to book an ADR, as they are wine and food people. As in, they have a couple thousand expensive bottles in their expensive wine refrigerator. As for food.... well, they are definite food snobs. Surprisingly, the dinner was excellent!!! We were seated downstairs, in a less busy room and they had a lovely chat with the sommelier (who looked like he was only old enough to drink alcohol for about a minute!) about a number of the wines on the menu. So for the two of them to enjoy it, I figured it must be pretty good.

Last year was our first time dining at Homecomin and I must say it wasn't exactly the home run I expected after hearing so many great reviews. I'm a Marylander and I was raised with women from both North & South Carolina, Georgia and Virginia so I know a thing or two about southern food and there were definitely things about our experience that we really liked and other things we were like "hmmm". LOL I will say that I really liked the carrot souffle - I could have had seconds of that, the collard greens were ok, certainly not as good as mine ;). My youngest had a chicken sandwich that tasted like she could have gotten it at any restaurant, maybe even Chick Fil A. Her side of mac 'n cheese was bland but I think a lot of people make the mistake of solely relying on the cheese to flavor their mac 'n cheese and don't actually use seasoning to accompany the cheese so it comes out cheesy but very bland. DON'T BE AFRAID OF SEASONING PEOPLE!!! I can't remember what my oldest daughter had so that's kinda telling...must not have been all that, lol. The hummingbird cake I thought was out of this world good. Next week I'm taking my youngest on a short surprise trip and while I opted not to return this time around for dinner I have considered just ordering a slice of the hummingbird cake to take back to our room for dessert one evening since one night we have reservations at Raglan Road so we'll be right in Disney Springs.

With all of that being said I would actually give it another shot before taking off my list completely. HTH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter