Hollywood Brown Derby lost it's sparkle?

Gelatoni

Earning My Ears
I had fantastic memories of dining at HBD back in about 2004. I remember this calm elegance, excellent service and great food. It really was a standout meal that I remembered clearly for the years after.

In April this year I was excited to eat there again. What a totally different experience it was...

The restaurant was extremely noisy (think value resort food court level) and the tables were packed in, in a way I'm sure wasn't the case back then. We were almost elbow to elbow with out neighbours.

Then there was our server. He seemed apathetic to the point I was convinced DH and I had done something wrong. No smiling or interaction at all. DH asked if there were cocktails: "yes". Then nothing at all. DH asked, OK... could we see the menu then please??. He disappeared suddenly and came back, just plonked a menu on our table.

He was then pedantic about AP discounts and blamed us for not telling him at the beginning of the meal (??).

Then there was the food. It wasn't like I remembered it at all! Actually quite bland.

This would all have been acceptable, but, it's a signature restaurant! I never would have believed it if I didn't already know. In fact said to my DH that I massively prefered my bowl at Satu'Li canteen - a quick service restaurant.

Maybe it's because I was holding on to a nostalgia factor.

Has anyone else had a similar, or perhaps better experience?

Out meal at California Grill was stellar compared to this.

We had issues at HBD a few years back due to a crazy needy family who would not parent their kids. Our server was just beside herself. She apologized profusely throughout the meal. We tipped heavy.

HBD is our go-to in DHS, so we eat there at least once a year, in not more, and I've never had this experience. In fact, in terms of service, HBD was one of the best meals we had on our trip last December. Our waiter was very friendly, very attentive and our food was good and came out in a timely manner. The only time I ever had an issue at HBD was a few years ago when I was dining alone with DS (who was probably 4 or 5 at the time) and the server was very, clearly hitting on me (asking where I was staying, what I was doing later, etc.) . . . it was super inappropriate, but we simply finished our meals and left. Perhaps you had the same server and he was just jealous that DH was there with you! (I kid). I'm sorry you had that experience.

We had issues at HBD a few years back due to a crazy needy family who would not parent their kids. Our server was just beside herself. She apologized profusely throughout the meal. We tipped heavy.

Oh no, those are the worst right? Sounds like you had great service despite this though.

HBD is our go-to in DHS, so we eat there at least once a year, in not more, and I've never had this experience. In fact, in terms of service, HBD was one of the best meals we had on our trip last December. Our waiter was very friendly, very attentive and our food was good and came out in a timely manner. The only time I ever had an issue at HBD was a few years ago when I was dining alone with DS (who was probably 4 or 5 at the time) and the server was very, clearly hitting on me (asking where I was staying, what I was doing later, etc.) . . . it was super inappropriate, but we simply finished our meals and left. Perhaps you had the same server and he was just jealous that DH was there with you! (I kid). I'm sorry you had that experience.

Oh no haha, that sounds pretty awkward!

I wonder if the difference is because we did a lunch instead of a dinner. Perhaps lunch has a more 'carefree' attitude, or in our case completely free of care lol.

I really wanted it to be amazing again!

I haven't been since they took the chorizo chicken off the menu. I still dream about that meal. I do want to go back for the grapefruit cake.

HBD is our must do lunch at DHS including twice in April/May. The food was as good as always for us. I haven't noticed a change in tables in many years but they do adjust them as needed. Service has almost always been great with one exception a couple years ago. The noise level at lunch isn't usually bad in our experience but all it takes is one boisterous group to change that unfortunately. If you give it another try, I hope you have a better experience.

HBD is our must do lunch at DHS including twice in April/May. The food was as good as always for us. I haven't noticed a change in tables in many years but they do adjust them as needed. Service has almost always been great with one exception a couple years ago. The noise level at lunch isn't usually bad in our experience but all it takes is one boisterous group to change that unfortunately. If you give it another try, I hope you have a better experience.

I'm pleased that you've had a mostly consistent good experience.

We're going to give the HBD lounge a whirl next month.

This is what I had in April:

20180409_183203.jpg

Presentation is nice. It wasn't bad tasting, but not really 'signature' imho.

I've had a less than stellar experience the last two times - once for lunch and once for dinner. It's now off our "must-do" list after several really great meals there previously (I still have very fond memories of a gazpacho soup and a pork tenderloin spaetzle). One thing I have learned is not to book a late night dinner on a day when HS closes relatively early. You'll be one of the last seatings and they seem to rush you through, the servers are tired and it's just not a relaxing meal. The food was OK, but just not as good as I remember. It may also be that the last two times I really wasn't enthralled with the menu options so that tends to influence how I feel. It's not on my "never do again" list yet so it may get another chance but there's so many other places now that I want to try that it's not high on the list.

I've had a less than stellar experience the last two times - once for lunch and once for dinner. It's now off our "must-do" list after several really great meals there previously (I still have very fond memories of a gazpacho soup and a pork tenderloin spaetzle). One thing I have learned is not to book a late night dinner on a day when HS closes relatively early. You'll be one of the last seatings and they seem to rush you through, the servers are tired and it's just not a relaxing meal. The food was OK, but just not as good as I remember. It may also be that the last two times I really wasn't enthralled with the menu options so that tends to influence how I feel. It's not on my "never do again" list yet so it may get another chance but there's so many other places now that I want to try that it's not high on the list.

Likewise, it's not that I won't do it again, but I won't be rushing back.

Likewise, it's not that I won't do it again, but I won't be rushing back.
exactly! i was underwhelmed... our first time there was this past May. our server was amazing- a genuinely nice person! i guess i had really high expectations based on reviews and the fact that it's signature. the meal was fine. but not incredible.

We enjoyed it last year. Our first time there since 2005. My only gripe is that they do a dessert sampler now, and I really despise dessert samplers.

Too bad about your experience. We eat at HBD most times when we are at HS and never had an experience like that. I don't understand the problem with your server and the AP discount. Sometimes I mention to the server that we have AP or TIW discount, other times not until we pay the bill. No server has ever shown that they cared.

For us, HBD has never had that sparkle. We consider it to be on the lower end of the signature restaurants. Not bad. But we have always found it a bit lacking compared to the other signature places.

Maybe it's because I was holding on to a nostalgia factor.

Has anyone else had a similar, or perhaps better experience?

Out meal at California Grill was stellar compared to this.
Nostalgia plays the part of keeping you coming back, only because the food met or even surpassed your expectations repeatedly! My nostalgia (like yours) got smacked right in the puss by my reality! Quality and kitchen execution troubles on 6/9/18 at HBD. A dry Ciopino, imagine no sauce, with an over salted piece of grey fish, 2 sad muscles, and a teeny tiny bit tasty lobster tail! The short rib though tender had a flavorless sauce 52 ( supposedly a wine reduction). Big $$$=Big disappointment. Wait staff however was execellent! BTW, I’ve had 2 recent CG (same weekend as HBD)disappointing dinners as well! I’ve eaten at both countless times... I dont like the recent menu changes, “What’s happening?” I’m giving both a break to get their act together.

Last edited:
We love HBD but I'll admit we tend to eat outside at the lounge more often than not now. In all our years of going, we have never been sat at the tables in the middle, possibly because there are just two of us so they either sit us at the two tops up on the upper floor or a booth. I have noticed, the floor area does get noisy but if you are on either of the upper side areas, it is quieter. We have never had bad service there, we have noticed the menu has changed through the years but that is bound to happen anywhere. We ate at CG in May and it seemed louder than HBD to me, that was actually my only complaint.

Actually this is probably part of the reason we weren't impressed. There are 2 of us and we were sat in the middle floor area, elbow to elbow with and surrounded by large noisy groups.

I couldn't communicate with DH. If I did I felt I had to shout. Not the sort of atmosphere I enjoy. I know a lot of people like that sort of 'boisterous' vibe.

We've eaten at HBD 5 times since 2011. It is one of our favorite signature restaurants. We have never had a bad experience. I only remember excellent service and food. We'll be dining there again in September.

Wellll? Having gone to HBD a LOT, when HS was a real full day park?

I would humbly suggest that the issue is not the Restaurant.... it's the "Park" :(. We LOVE HBD.... but?
As time went on, we found that we had exhausted anything left at the "Park" by 4:00 PM. Dinner reservations kept moving back.... finally? We just stopped going there :(.
Just OUR personal History. If the day comes that the surrounding "Park" becomes the real deal? And if HBD can survive all this without becoming a Star Wars Cantina?
We'll go back.

A funny comment - If WDW would just set HBD FREE, and let them operate as a Hotel SIG? We would be there in a heartbeat :).

Really, the current theming and population issues at what USED to be "Hollywood Studios" has got to be driving the current Management of HBD out of their minds :(.
It's a really good (or was) Signature Restaurant (only REAL SIG in a Park when there WAS a Park) plopped down in the (now) totally wrong location :(.

Alternatives today....
Consider BOAT to Swan-Dolphin: Shula's, Il Mulino, BlueZoo, Flying Fish.... All very SOLID Signature Restaurants.

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter