Holiday Questions

DisneyJade

Two decades on the DIS, lurking and learning
I have a couple of specific questions I can't seem to find an answer to. Hoping someone here can help.

1) We have a 5:40 reservation at Carnation Café with a 6:00pm parade scheduled. (Holiday parade, mid-week *after* Thanksgiving, but I assume crowds will still be all lined up on the sidewalk.)
  • Do we have any hope of getting *through* the crowds with a double jogger to get to the restaurant?
  • AND is there any place to park a stroller, or can we fit a double jogger in the restaurant with us?
  • Bonus question! Any tips for getting outside seating so we can catch the parade?
2) Is there a schedule somewhere for Santa at the Grand Californian?

Thanks!

I haven't been in over a year, but we used to be able to park our stroller in front of the Carnation while dining there. Not sure if that is still the case. They usually have a roped off area for people to watch the parade down main street. One side of the rope is for watching the parade and the other side is for people walking through. Getting through might be tricky with a double wide stroller. Sometimes when we didn't want to deal with the stroller, we would park it in an area that wasn't as crowded and then just carry our kids with us to where we needed to go. Of course taking everything of value off of the stroller before leaving...Not always the most convenient, but saved the headache of trying to navigate the crowds with a stroller.

I believe the Santa schedule should be on the app when searching for characters. Can anyone confirm?

Hope that helps! :goodvibes

I've seen strollers parked along the side pathway that leads to the bathrooms near Carnation (the walkway the runs between Carnation Cafe and the Emporium Complex). That's probably the best bet for parking the stroller that will be somewhat out of the way. It's probably easier than trying to fit a double wide into the restaurant seating area.

Getting through will probably not be a major issue. You'll have to be at the restaurant before the parade starts, so Main Street will still be used as a walkway at that point. There is a parade crossing point right in front of Carnation Cafe, so you should be able to get off Main Street and onto the side walk at that point.

In terms of getting outdoor seating, the only thing you can do is ask for an outdoor table when you check in. Sometimes they take requests, some times they do not. It all depends on how busy they are, how behind schedule they are, the CM at the check-in, etc.

I have a couple of specific questions I can't seem to find an answer to. Hoping someone here can help.

1) We have a 5:40 reservation at Carnation Café with a 6:00pm parade scheduled. (Holiday parade, mid-week *after* Thanksgiving, but I assume crowds will still be all lined up on the sidewalk.)
  • Do we have any hope of getting *through* the crowds with a double jogger to get to the restaurant?
  • AND is there any place to park a stroller, or can we fit a double jogger in the restaurant with us?
  • Bonus question! Any tips for getting outside seating so we can catch the parade?
2) Is there a schedule somewhere for Santa at the Grand Californian?

Thanks!
1A - They keep the walkways fairly clear, so you shouldn't have much trouble other than when another double wide is coming the other direction.
1B - The parking area is along side the outside dining area. The area inside the restaurant is TOO small to have a double wide. I don't think they even let singles in, as the walkways are narrow.
1C - You can request it when you check in. There may be a longer than normal wait, but be aware, the view is not great as you have everyone standing and you are seated.

2 - If you look around his seating area, there should be a schedule. As at the guest relations counter in the Grand.

You'll be heading to the restaurant well before the parade so you can walk down the middle of Main Street. As figment_jii posted, there is a crossing point right in front of Carnation so you won't have any problem getting to the restaurant.

Most likely you'll be asked to park the stroller along the fence right next to the restaurant's dining patio. I haven't seen strollers in the restaurant, especially on the patio because there isn't a lot of space between tables and the umbrella stands.

You can ask to be seated on the patio, but it's only a request. Sometimes they will honor requests and other times you'll have to take the first available table. There are only a few tables on the patio with a fairly good view of the parade because the cross over point keeps a little of the street visible. Most of the tables will only have a view of the upper sections of the floats because the people standing at the curb to see the parade will block your view. You won't be able to see any of the parade if you are seated inside.

So many awesome tips here, thank you! Great to know about the cross-street path in front of Carnation and about the various options for stroller parking. And I'm going to keep an eye on the app to see if Santa pops up under characters.
Thanks, everyone!!

If you find your double jogger stroller to be too cumbersome during your trip, don't forget that you can rent two singles from Disney. Some people here have posted that they've found two singles to be easier for their DL days because of DL's narrow walkways. DCA is much easier for larger strollers and has wider walkways.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!