Holiday Barbies. What do I do with them!

I have 88 to 99 myself. They are worth a small fortune. I have had no luck selling them on ebay
1988 was the first year holiday barbies were released in the US.
My mother wants me to give them to my daughter. My adopted daughter isnt into barbies. Im trying to find a collector. Too many of these so called collector sites are ripping you off.

My grandmother bought almost every holiday Barbie and stored them. She worked for Mattel at one time. She bought all of them thinking they'd be worth a mint someday.

They're most likely going to the Goodwill or eBay for a fraction of what she paid. Her house is jam-packed with junk like this.

She's also got a lot of Beanie Babies, all of which are lovingly stored in clear plastic display boxes... And will unfortunately be put into the Goodwill except for one or two maybe.

It annoys me now that when I was about 6, I got the 1991 Holiday Barbie with a gorgeous green dress and I wanted to play with her. And I was told (by mom and Grandma) that it was collectible so it couldn't be opened or played with, just stored and someday sold for a lot of money. And they harped on me for years after that because I played with and "ruined" the worth of one of my favorite Barbies.

And they're both utterly worthless today in an oversaturated market.

Last edited:

I have these, too. Along with quite a few other boxed Barbies from the 90s. They are hard to ship, I agree. Mattel made way, way too many of them and killed their collectables market. I doubt they care, they made a mint.

Have you considered donating these to a children's charity?

I work with a children's charity and we get SO many of these- people drop off garbage bags full and even we have a hard time getting rid of them. Barbies like beanie babies are not worth much if anything at all.

I don’t know, a quick google search shows the 1988 Holiday Barbie to be worth $750 alone.

Not sure how you find a toy/Barbie collector but I would definitely try before donating or throwing away.

You may only have a couple that someone would actually buy but just those two might be worth your time.

I collected Archie and Harvey Comics from the late ‘60s to the early ‘80s. I loved them but they’re not the same today.

I had a friend who bought and stored every one of the holiday Barbies (in multiples); she showed me closets full of Barbie boxes that she knew were going to make her a fortune. Some years later, she called and wanted me to put them on eBay for her (she didn't know how or have an account); I looked them up and couldn't find any of them selling. She was irritated with me that I couldn't sell these dolls for thousands of dollars. She died early this year, and I miss her so badly; we could dissect a single subject for two hours on the phone.

Well dang! Never even noticed the dates

Me neither. :headache: Usually zombie threads that suddenly appear have many pages of responses already to be "new." Kind of a give away that one is. OR someone notices earlier that it's a zombie thread.

Oops! I never noticed the dates, either, and I am usually pretty good at it.

I don’t know, a quick google search shows the 1988 Holiday Barbie to be worth $750 alone
Again, the "worth" is $zero given that nobody. will. pay. for. them.

I can claim my custom designed Barbie is worth ten million dollars (and there's no reason it shouldn't be, given that it's one of a kind.)

I would be lucky if anybody paid me $2 for it.

Again, the "worth" is $zero given that nobody. will. pay. for. them.

I can claim my custom designed Barbie is worth ten million dollars (and there's no reason it shouldn't be, given that it's one of a kind.)

I would be lucky if anybody paid me $2 for it.

Which is why I said she would need to find a toy/Barbie collector. As in call a person not try to sell on eBay. The article I saw was a toy collector not someone trying to sell, just giving information.

Someone claiming that the item they own is worth $xxx and a collector telling you it’s worth $xxx are two very different things. I wouldn’t put a lot of stock in what is said online but wouldn’t discount it because a person who has no real idea says so either. Hence the need to try to contact someone in person who really knows

Regardless, I am sure in 4 years she has decided what to do with them or decided to keep them.

I have 88 to 99 myself. They are worth a small fortune. I have had no luck selling them on ebay
1988 was the first year holiday barbies were released in the US.
My mother wants me to give them to my daughter. My adopted daughter isnt into barbies. Im trying to find a collector. Too many of these so called collector sites are ripping you off.

Not worth a fortune if no one wants to buy them, LOL! Have they sold yet?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter