Holiday Barbies. What do I do with them!

nkereina

Last chance to lose your keys.
Any other women have a plethora of Holiday Barbies from their childhood? I'm talking about the ones released annually around the holidays in the ornate dresses and fancy boxes. My aunt bought me one every year for Christmas from the late 80s through the mid 90s. I have about 15 of them, all in the boxes, new and never been opened. In an effort to clean out my parents house, I'm now trying to unload them and looking for suggestions on how to do this.

I got rid of my old Beanie Babies in a lot on eBay last year for $50 (I cringe when I think how much was spent on them) but unfortunately the Barbies aren't as easy to ship in a lot. Not to mention, there's many of them on eBay - most of which have zero bids. Anyone have any luck selling them at a local store or garage sale or anything? Seems like they're worth zilch.

Worst case, I'll donate them at the Salvation Army. I just know my aunt would have a coronary because I'm sure she thinks I could cash them in for retirement.

Good idea - if I do go the donation route, I'd definitely research a place like that. I know there's a local refugee school that takes donation like this all the time.

If you have a 2nd & Charles, I have seen them in there for sale-maybe you could swap them for credit and get some new media.

Any other women have a plethora of Holiday Barbies from their childhood? I'm talking about the ones released annually around the holidays in the ornate dresses and fancy boxes. My aunt bought me one every year for Christmas from the late 80s through the mid 90s. I have about 15 of them, all in the boxes, new and never been opened. In an effort to clean out my parents house, I'm now trying to unload them and looking for suggestions on how to do this.

I got rid of my old Beanie Babies in a lot on eBay last year for $50 (I cringe when I think how much was spent on them) but unfortunately the Barbies aren't as easy to ship in a lot. Not to mention, there's many of them on eBay - most of which have zero bids. Anyone have any luck selling them at a local store or garage sale or anything? Seems like they're worth zilch.

Worst case, I'll donate them at the Salvation Army. I just know my aunt would have a coronary because I'm sure she thinks I could cash them in for retirement.

Do you have an nieces or other little girls that you're close to? I think they would make an awesome gift; very special to pass them down in the spirit of your own aunt giving them to you. But if you do give them, I'd encourage the little girl to actually play with them since you already know they're not really worth anything as collectables.

I just checked ebay's "sold" listings and there are multiple Holiday Barbie lots, some with as little as four dolls each, that all went for over $200. Some of the lots containing 10-14 dolls went for $800. Are you sure it's not worth your time to ship them? :laughing:

I have every Holiday Barbie, the Holiday Barbie Hallmark ornaments, and any special Barbie ornaments that have come out from 1986-2007(The year I was born until the year I got married).
It was my dad's special thing for me. :cutie: I have considered selling them, but I just can't bring myself to do that.

I have every Holiday Barbie, the Holiday Barbie Hallmark ornaments, and any special Barbie ornaments that have come out from 1986-2007(The year I was born until the year I got married).
It was my dad's special thing for me. :cutie: I have considered selling them, but I just can't bring myself to do that.

No way - don't sell them. This is the perfect thing to "regift" to someone special (especially someone also connected in some way to your DDad)!

No way - don't sell them. This is the perfect thing to "regift" to someone special (especially someone also connected in some way to your DDad)!
I know. Every once in a while I'm like...Maaaaybe I can just keep my favorites and sell the rest.
I just can't. Probably never will. My DD is very tomboyish, but I think I'm going to save them for her and future grandchildren. I have a bride ornament I already know I will be giving her when she marries.

I just checked ebay's "sold" listings and there are multiple Holiday Barbie lots, some with as little as four dolls each, that all went for over $200. Some of the lots containing 10-14 dolls went for $800. Are you sure it's not worth your time to ship them? :laughing:

What! I'll have to revisit that! I was just looking at currently active auctions and many of them have a day left, with zero bids and a low starting amount. It was discouraging!

haha Sounds like your aunt and my dad had the same idea. I also have the ornaments but haven't come across them yet while cleaning out my parents' house. Forgot about those! I'm trying to clean out my parents house while finishing my basement, which is not conducive to storing these large rubbermaid buckets full of Barbies! LOL :rotfl:

I know. Every once in a while I'm like...Maaaaybe I can just keep my favorites and sell the rest.
I just can't. Probably never will. My DD is very tomboyish, but I think I'm going to save them for her and future grandchildren. I have a bride ornament I already know I will be giving her when she marries.
:goodvibes Great idea - you won't regret it.

Yeah. My husband was unaware of my collection until we moved in together.
"What's in all of these boxes?"
"Barbies...And Barbie ornaments."
*Are you kidding me look.

Do you have an nieces or other little girls that you're close to? I think they would make an awesome gift; very special to pass them down in the spirit of your own aunt giving them to you. But if you do give them, I'd encourage the little girl to actually play with them since you already know they're not really worth anything as collectables.

This is a good idea as well, but unfortunately I'm the youngest in my family (at 28). No siblings for me and DH has a sister who won't have kids. We won't have kids either. I think this is part of the reason I find myself in this dilemma - if kids were around, it would likely be an easier decision! I have a bit of sentimentality but it's not practical for me to store them any longer.

Most items designed and produced to be collectibles don't end up being worth much. But I would think there would end up being a handful through the years that are more desirable and hard to find. You need to check each individual doll's completed listings on Ebay to see what they are selling for. I don't think the completed listings go back very far, so you might want to try once a week for a while to get a feel for which ones are going for more.

Most items designed and produced to be collectibles don't end up being worth much. But I would think there would end up being a handful through the years that are more desirable and hard to find. You need to check each individual doll's completed listings on Ebay to see what they are selling for. I don't think the completed listings go back very far, so you might want to try once a week for a while to get a feel for which ones are going for more.
Yes some years are worth quite a bit than others and there are variations within each year as well.
For example, one of years in the 90's there were I think three or four variations on the Holiday Barbie. One of them was a special limited release that is valued (in unopened, undamaged box) at like $1000, but the regular ones from that year are only worth like $50. They really vary by year.

(Also...I stand corrected. My first one is from 1989, not 1986. And the ornaments started the first year they were released. For some reason I always had it in my head that I have every year. Apparently they started when I was three, which makes sense because that is when the man I call my father legally adopted me.)

Most items designed and produced to be collectibles don't end up being worth much.

As a former comic book collector, I can attest to this. Comic books were collectibles, and very early issues are worth a lot of money due to their scarcity. The comic book industry started trying to take advantage of their collectibility in the early 90's by including variant covers, special chrome or hologram covers, sealed polybag comics, etc. So many of each issue were produced that the bottom fell out of the market for those issues. The entire comic book industry almost poofed out of existence due to their folly.

Some issues are still worth money, even some recent issues. But there was a point in time where the entire industry took a nosedive.

As a former comic book collector, I can attest to this. Comic books were collectibles, and very early issues are worth a lot of money due to their scarcity. The comic book industry started trying to take advantage of their collectibility in the early 90's by including variant covers, special chrome or hologram covers, sealed polybag comics, etc. So many of each issue were produced that the bottom fell out of the market for those issues. The entire comic book industry almost poofed out of existence due to their folly.

Some issues are still worth money, even some recent issues. But there was a point in time where the entire industry took a nosedive.
:offtopic:You and my dad could have some great conversations! He's still collecting but on a smaller scale. He has redone the garage in my childhood home to be climate controlled and had a TON! They went through some hard times and he sold them(minus the ones really worth anything) by the POUND. I kind of miss our weekly trips to the comic shop(he still goes though!). He's pretty loyal to the DC camp :laughing:

***My nerd is showing isn't it?:teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter