Holding Spots in the Line. Flight of Passage, Slinky Dog Dash..

Status
Not open for further replies.

maloned

DVC Member 2006
Is it bad to hold a spot, for my kids, in the line. We weren't able to get Fast-passes for Flight of Passage or Slinky Dog Dash. We haven't experienced either attraction before. But I don't want to force my kids, especially my 7-year old, to stand in the queue for 2-hours.

Besides rope-drop, when are the best times of the day to wait in-line for these rides?

We'll be at DHS on Tuesday, January 29 and Animal Kingdom on Wednesday, January 30.

We've been booked to go to Disney at the end of this month, but couldn't set our Fast-passes until this month. We were waiting until the Discover Disney Florida Resident Park Passes went on sale.

I think if you are talking about 2 people joining you it might not be a big deal. I have heard stories of one person waiting in line and then a larger groups joining up with them. I think that is rather inconsiderate to do that. It is a tough call, but maybe your other option would be waiting until later at night right before close. Keep checking for FP too because people will change their plans all the time and you might be able to snag FPs.

That isn't going to work. They won't be able to make their way through all the people in line at FOP which winds through many different areas and then is inside. I don't think it would work for Slinky Dog either. It is just too hard. Yes-people do think it is bad as they are waiting in line with their kids so everybody should do the same.

You can run into people who might not let your kids pass by them.

The Play Disney Parks app is great. I haven't used for FOP (not sure if there is one) but it's a fantastic way to keep kids occupied in the line at Slinky Dog Dash. Some of the games are interactive, and they have to take turns playing the games.

Besides rope-drop, when are the best times of the day to wait in-line for these rides?

The best time of the day for any of the headliners is just before closing time. For FoP, there have been several recent reports of 20 minute waits late in the evening. The shortest wait I've seen reported is 17 minutes. Slinky fluctuates a little more, but 20-25 minute waits are not uncommon.

If you get in line a least a moment before the park closes you will be allowed to ride, just don't wait too late. And keep in mind that the posted wait times are intentionally exaggerated at night to discourage late riders.

FOP won't happen since you enter a closed queue immediately. Take things to entertain them.

Slinky Dog has a line that usually extends out past the queue entrance. If you are out there they can probably run around in that area until you enter the queue then they need to join you.

Generally the response CMs have given is "Your whole party must be together to enter the line."

It’s one thing to have to duck out of line with a child for a bathroom break. It’s something else completely to have them join you much later so they can do another activity.

Rope drop it or go at park closing to avoid long lines. If not, wait together as a family like everyone else in the 2 hour line is doing.

There was actually a sign outside of the ride in AK to make sure your party is together before entering the line. I don't know if that is because it was a really busy time (first week of Jan) or if it is a regular occurrence.

Waiting in line can be tough, but plan on quiet games like I spy. Also, little snacks can make the time go a little easier. Of course, make a potty stop to "try just in case". As others have said toward the end of the night, the lines are quicker because there's no FP to make the line drag.
Your kids might surprise you, just forwarn them, the some lines are long and they'll need to wait their turn

It’s one thing to have to duck out of line with a child for a bathroom break.

This is what I was wondering about. My 3 year old is in the potty training process right now. By this summer, I'm sure he will be mostly if not fully potty trained. I certainly won't want to revert back to pull-ups by then. However, anyone that's ever potty trained a kid will know that when they need to use the bathroom you better get them to it asap, or else. So... how to handle the situation?

This is what I was wondering about. My 3 year old is in the potty training process right now. By this summer, I'm sure he will be mostly if not fully potty trained. I certainly won't want to revert back to pull-ups by then. However, anyone that's ever potty trained a kid will know that when they need to use the bathroom you better get them to it asap, or else. So... how to handle the situation?

Besides the obvious everyone take a bathroom break before getting in line? If it happens, just cut back through the line & explain to anyone who gives you a funny look that it’s potty time. They will recognize you on the way back in so it shouldn’t be an issue. 99.999% of parents will understand with a little one.

We got in line for FOP at closing. Still a two hour wait. About half way through the line, the woman (adult) behind us said she had to go. She and her friend discussed it. At first they felt people would understand, and let her back in, as they would remember her just a few minutes later. Then they decided that as it was after park hours, CM may not let them back in line, so she decided to hold it.

20 min later, she was thinking (given the seat design on FOP) that it was going to be the WORST RIDE OF HER LIFE EVER.

However, we soon spotted a sign about a restroom break, and to speak with a CM. She did so. The CM gave her a restroom pass, and showed her a way out without going through the line. The pass got her back in line no problem, without going through the whole line.

As anyone else seen this?

We got in line for FOP at closing. Still a two hour wait. About half way through the line, the woman (adult) behind us said she had to go. She and her friend discussed it. At first they felt people would understand, and let her back in, as they would remember her just a few minutes later. Then they decided that as it was after park hours, CM may not let them back in line, so she decided to hold it.

20 min later, she was thinking (given the seat design on FOP) that it was going to be the WORST RIDE OF HER LIFE EVER.

However, we soon spotted a sign about a restroom break, and to speak with a CM. She did so. The CM gave her a restroom pass, and showed her a way out without going through the line. The pass got her back in line no problem, without going through the whole line.

As anyone else seen this?
Wow, this must be new.

I wonder of this is going to be standard protocol going forward. If so, I bet someone has already used it to take one child out of line for the "restroom", and then returned with 6 other members of their party who by MERE COINCIDENCE happened to be in the area.

Wow, this must be new.

I wonder of this is going to be standard protocol going forward. If so, I bet someone has already used it to take one child out of line for the "restroom", and then returned with 6 other members of their party who by MERE COINCIDENCE happened to be in the area.

I've not seen the pass in practice, but a simple way for WDW to combat this is to give each member of the party currently in line a pass that they have to produce when they go to get back in line. I'd be surprised if this wasn't already the case, because otherwise it leaves a lot of room for abuse as you mention.

We really like downloading and playing "heads up" in long lines like FoP. You can find a free app on your phone, and at times we've ended up making line friends as the family in front of or behind us plays along. Seven year old can definitely play and it eats up a lot of time as you guess! As mentioned, getting in line right before close works well, especially if you miss rope drop. On our 12/4 visit, we rope dropped and saw a 36 minute wait from entering the line to first holding room, and at the end of the day it bumped to 44 minutes from end of line to first holding room, but the posted wait was 120 minutes.

No, it's really not ok. Everyone has to wait in line. Imagine what WDW would be like if only one person from each family waited in line and then the rest just pushed through when that person gets to the front. There are lots of kids in the parks, after all. I would either keep trying for a FP, go at rope drop or at the end of the night, or wait until another trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter