• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hmm...I'm starting to think CBR over AKL for Honeymoon. Would Love Opinions on This!

gumdrop

<font color=FF66FF>Believes in Magic!<br><font col
Hi all!

I'm going absolutely nuts for my Honeymoon resort decision for this August. Currently, we are going with AKL standard view, but for some reason, CBR seems to be calling me...the colors, the beaches, all of the recreation. Though I love the ideas of seeing the animals at AKL, it really isn't appealing to me that much. My fiancee has never stayed at either resort; I stayed at CBR with my family when it first opened, and I loved it. I don't know if I should give AKL a try since I've already done CBR? Has anyone else chosen a moderate over a deluxe just because they've wanted to--not because of cost? Thanks for any help!

--Maren

Hi. We just returned from Disney yesterday! We stayed at the Polynesian and it would be wonderful for a honeymoon! While we were there we visited Animal Kingdom Lodge. I cannot comment on the CBR but we fell in love with the Animal Kingdom Lodge! If money is not an issue, we really liked the Beach Club and we are considering the Dolphin for our next trip. Congratulations and have a great trip. The way things are set up at Disney, you will have a great time wherever you choose!

Everyone's opinions on what they like are different which is good. Makes for an interesting discussion.

Personally I really like CBR for the very reasons you mentioned. Yes AKL is impressive, but unless you can afford Savanna view or concierge I did not get the feeling it is a true deluxe resort like Polynesian or Grand Floridian.

If I had to choose between a water view at CBR and a standard view at AKL I would chose CBR. Room size is not that much difference if any and while you get 2 queen beds at AKL you do not get much floor space.

I loved visiting AKL and I would recommend going over for a meal, but the tropcial landscaping at CBR is very appealing to me.

Also I enjoy being able to stroll the grounds at a resort and that is something you are not able to do at AKL due to the setup to contain the animals.

My fiancé and I stayed at AKL over NYE and it was a beautiful resort. We had a savannah view which made the room so much more appealing, but even with a standard view there are plenty of places to view animals so you won't miss all that much. However, the big pull for this resort is it's intimate, romantic feel. It's wonderful to be able to sit around the fire and relax, like we did at night after a full day at the parks. Also, there's only one bus stop so you don't have to worry about being too far away from that, and there is a small food court as well as 2 restaurants, and all are centrally located. We never stayed at CBR, but we did visit family who were staying there while we were at BWI and though it was a colorful, fun resort, it had a much more family atmosphere to it. It would be a great place to stay with kids, but for my honeymoon I'd want something a little more special. Also, I don't think we'd want to deal with always having to go outside to the food court, bus stop, etc. and then have to stop at multiple stops at our own resort. Being able to just get on the bus and go will make our honeymoon stay more relaxed. And then if you're the last bus stop at CBR, you might have to stand since the seats might be filled up.

We have chosen moderates over deluxes twice (split stay at CSR/BWI and POFQ over WL this October-though that is now changed due to its closure), so I can totally understand that, as we picked the moderates we did simply because we wanted to stay there, even though deluxes are nicer. For our honeymoon next June, though, we will be spending part of it at AKL since we really just fell in love with it on NYE.

We would choose CBR over AKL for a honeymoon simply b/c we need a more beachy feel for a honeymoon. I think Poly would be an amazingly romantic choice for honeymoon if you want to go deluxe. But I would pick CBR over AKL or some of the other deluxes. We loved CBR and enjoyed CSR as well!! :) have fun!

Originally posted by justhat
My fiancé and I stayed at AKL over NYE and it was a beautiful resort. We had a savannah view which made the room so much more appealing, but even with a standard view there are plenty of places to view animals so you won't miss all that much. However, the big pull for this resort is it's intimate, romantic feel. It's wonderful to be able to sit around the fire and relax, like we did at night after a full day at the parks. Also, there's only one bus stop so you don't have to worry about being too far away from that, and there is a small food court as well as 2 restaurants, and all are centrally located. We never stayed at CBR, but we did visit family who were staying there while we were at BWI and though it was a colorful, fun resort, it had a much more family atmosphere to it. It would be a great place to stay with kids, but for my honeymoon I'd want something a little more special. Also, I don't think we'd want to deal with always having to go outside to the food court, bus stop, etc. and then have to stop at multiple stops at our own resort. Being able to just get on the bus and go will make our honeymoon stay more relaxed. And then if you're the last bus stop at CBR, you might have to stand since the seats might be filled up.

We have chosen moderates over deluxes twice (split stay at CSR/BWI and POFQ over WL this October-though that is now changed due to its closure), so I can totally understand that, as we picked the moderates we did simply because we wanted to stay there, even though deluxes are nicer. For our honeymoon next June, though, we will be spending part of it at AKL since we really just fell in love with it on NYE.

You present some vaild points for AKL, but I do not think I personally would enjoy the fire place and the coziness in August as you did at the end of December.

I know WL really appeals to me during Christmas due to the weather and decorations but not as much in the summer.

During the summer months, I prefer the resorts with a lake, tropical colors, beaches and water activities.

I'll give a vote for CBR. It is a beautiful resort and it really feels like you are in a tropical paradise.

I bet if you make sure AKL knows you are honeymooners you would get upgraded to poolview or savanna...

Disney loves Honeymooners

>>^..^<<

We had our honeymoon at CBR last July. It was great, we got a corner room, with 2 windows. We had an interior type room, that looked down over a cute courtyard. No parking lots visable!!! The beachy theme was perfect for the summertime! Best wishes! Ren

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to thank everyone for their opinions--I really appreciate it. I think I may just go with CBR. I loved reading all of the posts about each resort, but CBR is calling me for this particular trip. We'll definetly check out AKL and hopefully we'll get to experience staying there next year! But still, keep the opinions and suggestions coming--my decision is changing like the wind!

--Maren

Go with your gut...if CBR is calling your name then listen to it!

That said, I don't find CBR even slightly romantic. We've stayed there twice, and it's a nice family place but not very intimate. I think that AKL would be nicer, particularly with the extra restaurants and lounges. JMHO though. :)

If CBR is calling then go for it! It does seem very honeymoonish with its tropical feel. Now we've never stayed at CBR but did stay at AKL and it was a wonderful resort. I can't say enough good things about it! We paid for a standard view room and were upgraded to a pool view. The pool view was very lush and tropical looking. AKL has some great eating places as well to celebrate your special occassion.

I really don't think you can go wrong with either resort. We actually stayed in the mansion rooms of POR for our honeymoon and loved it! I picked the mansion rooms b/c of their romantic look and their decorating appeled to me. We had a fantastic time and thought our room was beautiful. So if the look of CBR is what you are looking for then go for it!

Good luck with your decision!

Gumdrop, I would never try to change anyones mind.......but you should definately stay at the AKL. I stayed at both. CBR is a family resort all the way. The AKL is slighty dark, has fireplaces, jacuzzis and wonderful restaruants (sp). The CBR has none of these. CBR pool is geared towards little children and has with a little bar. AKL has a more "adult" pool and wonderful bar. I'm from NJ and visit beaches all the time. I was afraid I wouldn't enjoy the AKL because I'm not too into animals or "dark" hotels and use to the ocean. I was very pleasantly surprised. It is probably the most romantic hotel at disney!!

Theres nothing like staying at a deluxe! Unfortunately....You never want to go back to value or moderate. Good luck with your decision!

I think having a private balcony would be nice. Of course, there are surveillance cameras at AKL, LOL!

I do think the CBR rooms seem nice, but to me the resort just looks like Florida condos, nothing special. In comparison, AKL is very intimate & beautiful! It really transports you! We visited it briefly on our last visit & I was amazed at the calmness that came over me when I walked in. I think you would like it, even in August. :)

GO TO AKL!!!!! We have been to both and there is just no comparison. AKL is our absolute favorite resort. Congrats on your wedding/honeymoon!!

I have stayed at both and here is my .02:

It's your HONEYMOON!!!!!

AKL is a MILLION times more romantic than CBR. I'm not saying that CBR could not be made romantic, but AKL just IS....

Definitely dine at Jiko and Boma.
Bus service is top notch! One stop and no sharing.
We went in summer and the darkness of the lodge made it feel more "cool" soon as you step inside that wonderful LOBBY!!!!

I don't want to open a can of worms here, but I would think that it being your honeymoon, you would be a "good candidate" for an upgrade.

Don't get me wrong...CBR is nice. We may go there for an anniversary, but your honeymoon comes only ONCE. I would stay deluxe.

Hi - My husband and I have stayed at both the CBR and the AKL. AKL wins my vote hands down. AKL has room service for a romantic breakfast in bed or dinner in your room. CBR does not. Plus the AKL is so beautiful - it just has a romantic feel about it. The lobby is gorgeous and it is romantic to be outside under the full moon lighting. If you can afford it, I would definately spring for a savannah view. Have fun whichever you choose and best wishes for a wonderful wedding and marriage. Sherry

Yahhhhhh! See? I told you guys I would change my decision. It looks like I'm back to my original choice of AKL...You all had convincing arguments for each resort, but I guess a few things about AKL won me over this time. I like the fact that we can get full room service, hang out on the balcony, and it seems like there may be a more peaceful atmosphere at AKL. The single bus stop is also an added bonus! The tropical theme of CBR is still appealing, but it seems that AKL would be a great place to spend our honeymoon, so I think we'll just go for it. Thanks again for taking the time to post with your insights--keep them coming if you have time!!

--Maren:)

Have you considered Disney Vacation Club. Go over to the DVC Rent/Trade Board and check it out. A one bedroom can't be beat. Just ignore the kitchen.

Here's how it works. Two ways. Rent by cash or by points. Cash is more expensive.

When you rent by points, each day is assigned a point value. Friday and Saturday point requirements are more than the other days. The points are adjusted to seasons. Not knowing when your wedding is, here is the one bedroom points. I'll list the points as 24/75. the first number is the daily sunday to thursday points, 75 the Friday and saturday points

Wilderness Lodge Villas, Beach Club Villas and Board Walk Villas preferred points have the same point value.

season

Adventure 22/45
Choice 24/47
Dream 28/56
Magic 30/60
Premier 40/75

Old Key west Villas are less.

season

Adventure 16/40
Choice 18/41
Dream 2048
Magic 22/54
Premier 30/73

The seasons for 2003 are as follows:

Adventure Jan 1-31, Sept 1-30, Dec 1-14
Choice Oct 1- Nov 25, Nov 29- 30, Dec 15- 23
Dream Feb 1- 15, May 1- June 10, Agu 16 - 31
Magic Feb 16- Apr 12, Apr 27-30, June 11- Aug 15
Premier Apr 13- 26, Dec 24- 31

All arrangements are made with the party renting the points and points usually rent for $10 each.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter