Star Wars Interlude: Trip Planning

As everyone on these boards knows, the most fun part of the trip is planning the trip. So I thought I’d pepper some of that in with my running updates (so far for Week 1 of training, I’ve been felled by a stomach bug for 2 days, so it’s going great).

Originally, it was supposed to be a trip for 4 (friends P & B, and the BF), but the BF’s spring break didn’t line up with the race as it has in years past. I’m trying to convince him to come down for the weekend, but we’re pretty sure he’s got to be a prom chaperone then, so…it’s looking like it will be a three person adventure!

Who: B, P, and me (EE)

When: April 2 - April 11, 2019

Where: One night at Copper Creek, the rest at Boardwalk

Why: Adult Spring Break/Star Wars Rebel Challenge

Last May, we were able to book a studio at the Boardwalk - I’m so excited to be in that part of WDW. I’ve never stayed around Crescent Lake, but I have visited on earlier trips, and I loved it. I’m also looking forward to being so close to Epcot and MGM. When it looked like the BF was going to be able to come/it was his spring break, I rented points for CCV for one night (it was going to be his first trip for Disney, and this hotel was the most up his alley!). It’s not refundable, so I’m going to have a solo day in the parks before B&P arrive.

Currently, we have our ADRs booked, and our FPs chosen, and I plan on writing on more intense day-by-day plans. Here’s the general:

Tuesday, 4/2 - EE arrives, goes to WL

Wednesday, 4/3 - EE in MK, B&P fly down, dinner around Crescent Lake

Thursday, 4/4 - Expo in the AM, Epcot in the PM

Friday, 4/5 - B&P run 5K, then MK the rest of the day!

Saturday, 4/6 - 10k! Rest day around the hotel and pool!

Sunday, 4/7 - Half! Bottomless brunch at the Contemporary! MK until we want to go to sleep!

Monday, 4/8 - Hollywood Studios

Tuesday, 4/9 - Epcot

Wednesday, 4/10 - Animal Kingdom

Thursday 4/11 - Fly home :(

I'm most excited about my first festival experience -- and Flower and Garden looks amazingggg -- and riding Slinky Dog and Flights of Passage and all the snacks I'll be able to justify because of the all the running.

Can’t wait to get the daily plans out into the universe!

We stayed at the Boardwalk in April of 2017 and absolutely loved it! I also love the crescent lake area and I'm a little bummed we couldn't swing a deluxe this time around (we will be over at POR for Star Wars weekend/spring break). Flower & Garden is so great - I love all the cute topiaries!

We stayed at the Boardwalk in April of 2017 and absolutely loved it! I also love the crescent lake area and I'm a little bummed we couldn't swing a deluxe this time around (we will be over at POR for Star Wars weekend/spring break). Flower & Garden is so great - I love all the cute topiaries!

I stayed at POR the last time I was at WDW - it was so great to be able to take the boat to and from Disney Springs! I'm a little sad it won't be that easy to get there this time, and that I won't have an excuse for multiple cocktail stops at Homecomin'. (Yes, I still have the refillable mug from 2 trips ago).

I'm so excited about Flower and Garden - I wonder when the booth listings will come out? I need to know how much of my $$ I'll be giving Disney.

i-was-petrified.jpeg

Week 1: Star Wars Training

As I mentioned earlier, I’m doing a modified Galloway plan to get me up to speed for the Star Wars Rebel Challenge. This was my first week on that plan, and I give myself a 7/10. I was out of town for work, and I was super pumped that it coincided with getting to see my niece and nephew. However, I wasn’t so pumped that I got some sort of 36-hour stomach bug from them.

Ah, well. At least I survived.

Planned Run 1: 40 minutes
Actual Run 1: 40 minutes/2.75 miles (14:52, 14:46, 14:36 - average pace 14:45)

IMG_1762.jpeg

Yay! A run that went as planned. This was in my hometown, and it was 79 degrees and 89% humidity — a little different than my polar vortex existence in DC. An unexpected treat to run in shorts in February.

Planned Run 2: 45 minutes
Actual Run 2: …

I was supposed to run this on Thursday, but I was out for the count with a stomach bug. I told myself I’d see how I felt on Friday, and it was still not great, so I went for a 45 minute walk just to get the time in on my feet. I felt like that was better than nothing?

Planned Run 3: 2 miles
Actual Run 3: 2 miles!

Did this mid-morning on Saturday, and I spaced on how hilly it is in my part of town. Yikes. I felt slow and out of shape, but I think that’s more that I didn’t eat or drink before I ran at 11:50 (whoops). However, it wasn’t that bad, once I stopped staring at my watch every 3 minutes to see how much longer I had to run. I did end my run at the grocery store, where I bought all the snacks because my appetite was finally back. Whoops?

Total time was 31:07 (I can’t get the splits because my Garmin won’t sync, and it’s driving me nuts, but average pace was about 15:33). BF was refereeing hockey when I left, and I came back to these lazy pups.

Planned Run 4: 6.5 - 7 miles, depending on how I feel
Actual run: 6 miles, plus a .5 mile walk cool down (14:02, 14:04, 14:28, 14:18, 14:59, 14:23)

IMG_1862.jpg

I had built this up in my head all week, and I think it psyched me out. This would be the longest distance I had run in years, and while I’m using intervals (for this week 1:00/1:20), I couldn’t get the distance out of my head. Something to work on!

It felt “warm” in Washington yesterday - I think it “felt like” 40 at the start of my run, and the sun was shining. I know that I need to make sure I’m better about fueling for runs longer than an hour - I took 3 chews right before I left, and then…nothing. Again, something to go in the brain bank for next time.

This actually went really well, all things considered. There was some hip pain and mid-run stretching happening, but I think that I can fix that with stretching and some at-home yoga/barre and maybe some Advil before longer runs. I was tired but not wiped out at the end - I definitely could have kept going past mile 6, but I just mentally gave up.

Another thing is I definitely went too fast - it didn’t feel like that at the time, but looking back on it, I should be doing my long runs a little slower - probably closer to Saturday paces? Am I right on that, @DopeyBadger?

Glad to have gotten my “official” week one done, and I’m looking forward to this week!

Spotted on the run yesterday, and I thought a good reminder for the week!

IMG_1858.jpeg

PS/ ALSO HELP WITH THE PHOTOS BEING SO BIG! I tried to use GooglePhoto, but the links weren't working, and I don't really want to pay for a service. Any ideas so that you don't see my giant sweaty face moving forward?

PS/ ALSO HELP WITH THE PHOTOS BEING SO BIG! I tried to use GooglePhoto, but the links weren't working, and I don't really want to pay for a service. Any ideas so that you don't see my giant sweaty face moving forward?

I have emailed photos to myself so that I could resize them, then save them again. There might be an easier way, but I'm not the most tech savvy!

I'm in Disney right now so I don't have my calculator with me. Tag me again on Thursday in case I forget. But the simple answer is that Galloway recommends about 2 min slower per mile than half marathon pace on most every run you do.

Another thing is I definitely went too fast - it didn’t feel like that at the time, but looking back on it, I should be doing my long runs a little slower - probably closer to Saturday paces? Am I right on that, @DopeyBadger?

What would you estimate to be your mile or 5k capability at the moment? That could help guide us as to where the pacing should be. If you're running a 14:30 LR pace, then you're saying you're close to a 12:30 HM Tempo/ M Tempo runner right now? Like this:

Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 6.13.44 PM.png

So could you run a 10:26 mile right now, or a 11:35 min/mile 5k?

1hYMd6B
Trip Planning: Days 1 and 2

I have a touch of writers block for my day job, and I'm hoping that writing this update might free me up to write a report I have to do there. Plus, according to MDE, there are only 47 days until my trip! I can't believe it. I have a lot of plans made currently, but I'm not sure what I'll actually keep, so I thought I'd lay it all out here and get some thoughts from those smarter than me re: Disney.

Tuesday, April 2: Travel Day

t3_3qk9eg

This is my unexpected bonus solo day, and I’m honestly really excited. Like many of us on these boards, I’m pretty introverted, and I think some solo time before my friends get there will be helpful.

I’m flying down from DC mid-morning, and I arrive around 230 or so. I plan on taking DME to Wilderness Lodge, where I’ll be staying in Copper Creek Villas! I’m super excited because it looks really cool, and I anticipate some wandering around the resort that afternoon (maybe a shake out run around Fort Wilderness? Who knows?)

I have no park plans on this day, and I’m kind of torn as to what to do with myself that evening. I currently have an Artist Point Reservation for 845 PM, but given the way the menu is set up, I honestly don’t think I could make a dent in all the food. Plus, while I don’t mind solo dining, I’m not sure how I feel about solo character dining?

My other plan would be to take the boat over across the Lagoon and do a mini-monorail hop/progressive snacking and drinking. I have long wanted to try the nachos at Captain Cooks, and I can easily find a snack and a dessert at the other two hotels. That may be less awkward since I’ll be by myself?​

Wednesday, April 3: Solo-ish Day
And now! My solo park day!

Fast passes here:Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 9.40.35 AM.png

I thought B&P wouldn’t be arriving until later in the day, but it turns out they are on an early morning flight down to Orlando. They plan on working...somewhere?...until end of day, so I’m functionally by myself.

My plan is to get up early, pack up from whatever little bit I unpacked, and check out around 745/8. I think I can have bell services transfer my luggage over? Then hop the boat to the Magic Kingdom!

I have a PPO reservation at Be Our Guest, and I plan on pre-ordering. I think with BOG, it doesn’t matter what time your reservation is for entry purposes? Idk. Will look into that, too.

Plan post BOG is to try and do Mine Train, if the line isn’t tooo long, then start to work my way through Fantasyland. I love the carousel and Small World. My first fast pass will take me rocketing through Space, and then I’ll likely visit my friend Tom Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow and grab a cup of coffee for the longggg walk over to my next two Fastpasses - Big Thunder and Splash!

At that point, I’ll assess how I’m feeling, but my thought right now is that I’ll make my way out of MK (stopping for short lines as appropriate), and hop the monorail over to Epcot. I think a fun lunch would be grabbing a few snacks from the booths on my way to the International Gateway, and then arriving at my next hotel mid afternoon.

I am so so so excited to be staying on the Boardwalk, y’all. Like, just so pumped. I’m not sure when the room will be ready, but at that point, it will be nice to sit and recharge. Our trip is long enough that there’s no reason to burn out on day 2.

Our plan for the evening is to go to Disney Springs and hit up a few favorites and just take it easy. I wouldn’t be surprised if we ended our night at Abracadabar.

That’s it for now! Is there anything I shouldn’t miss? What’s new in DS since Christmas 2017?

What would you estimate to be your mile or 5k capability at the moment? That could help guide us as to where the pacing should be. If you're running a 14:30 LR pace, then you're saying you're close to a 12:30 HM Tempo/ M Tempo runner right now? Like this:

View attachment 382434

So could you run a 10:26 mile right now, or a 11:35 min/mile 5k?

To be honest, I’m not sure! I definitely think (know) I’m running my LR too fast. I have a Magic Mile in my Galloway plan this weekend, so I should have a better idea on Sunday.

Week 2: Training Fail

I feel like every training plan has to have a bad week in it, and I hope that last week was mine. There was a confluence of events - 2 work deadlines, a cold, a bachelorette party, and a lot of stress from all of those things - that led to me only running once. I feel bad about it, but I’m trying to give myself grace (and I’ve already run twice this week, so I’m feeling better that I’m on track).

Planned Run 1: 45 minutes easy
Actual Run 1: 45 minutes on the treadmill with some bad TV (3.1 miles total, average pace 14:20)

There wasn't anything super noteworthy about this - it's been gross and slushy in DC, so I decided to go to the treadmill so I didn't have to pay attention and could zone out. It went as well as an interval run on the treadmill can go; I personally hate that I can't just cover up the speed and zone out, but I'm not at a place where I can run continuously that long right now.

Planned Run 2: 45 minutes easy

I should have done this on Thursday, but I was working from 5:30 AM - 6:30 PM (joys of consultancy/self-employment), and I just couldn’t find 45 minutes to get it done. I also didn’t think the BF would appreciate my pushing back Valentine’s dinner for me to get to the gym. Looking back, it probably would have been a good mental break for me, and I’ll remember that moving forward.

Planned Run 3: 4 miles including Magic Mile

As I said earlier, neither of these happened. Jeff Galloway does provide a caveat in the plan that, if you can’t do the run, time on your feet can suffice in dire circumstances. Given that I spent about 3 hours walking around New Orleans on Saturday, and at least 2 on Sunday, I feel like that’s at least something.

I need to get better about running when I’m on trips and not just taking running gear, which is what I did last weekend. I did have every intention of running on Saturday morning, but I should have known sharing a room with 3 other girls would mean not great sleep. It is what it is, and I can't go back -- but I can improve going forward.

Ugh. Onto Week 3!

Day 3: Thursday, April 4

Woo! Day 1 with friends! Day 1 of non-bonus days! I am imagining that my excitement at this point will be through the roof, and so will my nerves!

Big plans for the day: Expo, Epcot, Sleep

giphy.gif

What’s that, you want more detail? Sure!

After what may be a late night (?) in Disney Springs and/or around Crescent Lake, I imagine we will want to sleep in a little bit today. For both B & me, anything after 7:30 AM is sleeping in, but I hope we make it a little bit past that point.

For breakfast, we may pop over into Epcot and go to Les Halles? Otherwise, I guess breakfast sandwiches at the Boardwalk Bakery. I’m not sure what else there is to pick up in the area that’s fast and tasty? I am also thinking I’ll get a reusable mug because we are there for 9 days, and I drink…a lot of coffee.

Following breakfast, first stop will be the Expo! It may be sacrilege to say this, but I’m not a super big Star Wars fan (I ended up running this race because the timing was best) and so I’m not expecting to spend a ton of money at the Expo. That said, the Princess merch that I just saw posted on the RunDisney instagram was super cute, so I could end up eating my words here. B&P, however, are big Star Wars folks, so I expect we will send a fair amount of time here for them, wandering around.

After bib pick up and shopping about, the plan is to head to Epcot! I expect we will end up taking the bus back to the Boardwalk, and then walking into the park via the International Gateway. That way, we can drop off packages and grab whatever park supplies we need (water) for the rest of the day.

Epcot.png

We have those fast passes set up, but I won’t be super sad if we miss the first one! It will be quite a trek to the front of the park, and I don’t want to have to rush. It’s all of our first times to Flower and Garden (and my first festival experience period), and I want to be able to look around — and let’s be real, eat and drink around.

We have no firm plans for lunch today, just to eat and drink around the festival booths. I saw on another PTR that the booth menus have been released, and I imagine that will be a fun work procrastination thing next week. I do love Living with the Land, and P specifically requested FEA, so I can’t imagine missing those FPs. We do have another full day in Epcot, post-races, and I think it will be more ride-focused.

IMG_1301.jpeg
(This pic has nothing to do with this trip except B&I look really cute and we are in Epcot. I expect it will be recreated).

Dinner that night is at Via Napoli a little before 6 PM (I want to say 5:50 PM) - B&P are also doing the 5k, so we didn’t want to eat too late. I have already decided to order my beloved Carciofi, and I recently saw on @kastoney’s DTR that they have a fried artichoke. Looks like I’ll be arti-carb loading for my long day in the Magic Kingdom on Friday.

Following dinner, I’m not sure what I’ll do, to be honest. I think they are going to want to get back and get ready for the races, and if I’m being smart, I should do the same. It would be nice to get all settled in the room and to have a quiet evening. I have read a few places that the sleep two nights before races is also essential, and since I’m doing the challenge, that applies.

On the other hand, I will be in a Disney park, and I don’t mind solo time. So we’ll see. I could stick around Epcot, or I could wander around Crescent Lake. Choices, choices.

giphy.gif

Following along :wave2:

We stayed at BWV in January of 2015. I hope for your sake that Boardwalk Bakery has improved since then. The location of the resort was great, but the food options were lackluster. We did enjoy Big River Grille for drinks and appetizers one night.

We stayed at BWV in January of 2015. I hope for your sake that Boardwalk Bakery has improved since then. The location of the resort was great, but the food options were lackluster. We did enjoy Big River Grille for drinks and appetizers one night.

That was our experience as well. Quick service options around there were sorely lacking. We ended up just planning to go into Epcot for dinner our first night on the past trip. (Oh, no, don't throw me in that briar patch...)

That was our experience as well. Quick service options around there were sorely lacking. We ended up just planning to go into Epcot for dinner our first night on the past trip. (Oh, no, don't throw me in that briar patch...)

I really feel like we would have enjoyed the area more if we had had park hoppers. Without them, our dining options felt so limited. The monorail loop has spoiled me!

Hi all! Sorry I’ve been a bit MIA - it was adult Spring Break in Bermuda last week, and I took today for re-entry. Will be back with updates and comments soon! 91C4AB4D-FEBA-40E3-8AB3-4F623DDD0FCF.jpeg

I really feel like we would have enjoyed the area more if we had had park hoppers. Without them, our dining options felt so limited. The monorail loop has spoiled me!

This is all good advice! I’m a little nervous about Quick Service options in the area as well - you’d think that Disney would do better in that regard at this massive area of Deluxe resorts. We have dinner plans already figured out most nights, so it’s mainly breakfast I’m worried about - even with an Amazon Prime Now order planned, I do want some other options!

B&P are annual pass holders, and I currently don’t have hoppers - I have been thinking about doing an upgrade when I arrive. I just feel like being in such close proximity to two parks, I may want the options? Helpppp!

Note: I wrote this before I went on Adult Spring Break, but I never posted it because I was having issues uploading photos. Still haven't totally figured it out, but I want to move this Journal along - so, sorry the tenses are off. I will get better at this, eventually.

Week 3: Wow, I actually did everything as planned! And didn’t die!

I feel like that’s a total win right there! Way to go, EE! I mean, some of it wasn’t pretty (see Saturday’s hungover experience, but it’s done).

tumblr_inline_pa5ovvIdXE1qc9k5m_500.gif

Planned run 1: 45 minutes
Actual run 1: 45:23, 3.1 miles (14:51, 13:42, 15:27)

Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 1.29.19 PM.png

In all honesty, this run went way better than it should have. I hadn’t done any exercise in a week, and I was coming off an…indulgent…weekend in New Orleans. I also did it at the end of my work day, so I was tired and a little cranky if I’m totally honest.

DC was expecting snow/sleet on Wednesday, so I decided to take this run outside, and I’m so glad I did. It was in the 40s, and it was such a nice evening. I am trying to slow down my runs, and I did okay here - need to be closer to the 1st and 3rd than the 2nd. All in all, pretty pleased with this effort.

Planned run 2: 30 minutes
Actual run 2: 30 minutes

Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 1.29.10 PM.png

So, it did end up snowing in DC (wooo Snow Day! Thanks OPM!), and that meant that Thursday was pretty much a slushy mess.

As a result, I decided to do my second run on the treadmill and zone out to some Black-ish. It was…not totally memorable. I went, I did my intervals, I went home. I guess that’s good — that this is becoming part of the routine?

Planned run 3/Challenge Simulation 2: 4 miles

Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 1.29.30 PM.png

Welp. I had a friend from law school in town that I hadn’t seen in a few years, and we went a little harder than planned on Friday night. Like, I woke up with the worst hangover I’ve had in recent memory harder than planned. However, I still suited up and got on the treadmill, and basically just futzed around for an hour. Some walking at 4.0, some running intervals, some intense incline walking.

I got through it, and though I smelled like a brewery at the end of it, done!

Planned run 4/Challenge Simulation 2: 6.5 - 7 miles

Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 1.29.45 PM.png

I felt so bad on Saturday morning that I swore I wouldn’t do that to myself again on Sunday afternoon. My friend left midday, so I planned on doing an afternoon long run. It’s not my favorite time of day because as a permanent pedestrian, I feel like I usually have around 8000 steps before I start my run, but I’m telling myself the time on my feet/running on tired legs will only help me! RIGHT?!

I ended up doing 6.5 miles - it was a beautiful day in DC, 55 degrees and sunny in February, and I actually got to run in a tank top. Total time was 1 hour 39 minutes, making pace around 15:21. Perfect for a long run.

So, this upcoming week will be 45 minutes/45 minutes/4-5 mile long run. Most exciting is that long run will be done on Adult Spring Break with my friend STO in Bermuda! Pip pip cheerio.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Week 4: Let’s Take this Show on the Road

IMG_2418.jpeg

As I mentioned in my last update, this was the week that my friend STO and did our annual Adult Spring Break Trip - this year was to Bermuda! It was such a wonderful week, and I apologize in advance for spamming you with island photos. (NB: I can’t get my photos from Photobucket to upload, and I am so annoyed by this. Any hints? I have so many more pretty pics to share).

Training didn’t go exactly as planned, but I at least got in the time on my feet, and I had a minor freakout this morning re: getting my act together so I don’t die during the race. I have got to get better about not letting life get in the way/getting out of my head when things get “hard.”

I usually don’t share my “walks” because I frequently get upwards of 16,000 steps a day between walking to/from work, running errands, and walking my dog - but I did for this trip only because they were “dedicated” walks, and I’m considering them supplemental training.

Planned Run 1: 45 minutes
Actual Run 1: 30 minutes, 2.12 miles

Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 1.29.53 PM.png

My days leading up to vacation were nutty with a work deadline (conveniently at COB the day before I left), and I was scrambling much of the first half of the week to get it done. I was able to get my piece of the project off around 12 PM on Wednesday, so I headed down to the basement treadmill to try to get run 1 done, and I made a little over 30 minutes before the sh*t hit the fan. It is what it is.

Bermuda Walk 1: 2 miles

IMG_2260.jpeg

Our first day on the island, we went exploring around the Walsingham Nature Preserve, looking for underwater caves and grottos. Followed it up with a Rum Swizzle - a perfect cap to a beautiful day.

Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 1.30.05 PM.png

Planned Run 2: 45 minutes
Actual Run 2: 20 minutes, 1.4 miles

IMG_2293.jpeg

I twisted my knee/ankle pretty terribly on this run, and I was running late for the ferry, so cut it short. Absolutely beautiful, though, and good heat training for Disney in April as it was 80 degrees and about 80% humidity.

Bermuda Walk 2: 3.8 miles on the beach

Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 1.28.09 PM.png

We really wanted to see the pink sand, but as it was February, it was a little bit too cold to sit on the beach. Plus, I’m not a very good just sit and relax person on vacation in a new place - there’s too much to see! We decided to take the bus up to a further away beach and use the beach trail to get back to our lunch spot - it took us about 1.5 hours to go the almost 4 miles, and it was just absolutely beautiful. Also, walking in sand is hard!

Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 1.28.52 PM.png

Planned Run 3: 4-5 miles
Actual Run 3: 4 miles, 1:09:17

IMG_2422.jpeg

On our last morning before flying back into winter (ughhh), I got up early to do 4 miles. My ankle was still super sore, and I was on grass and uneven roads for the majority of the time I was out and about, so I decided to just walk and get in the distance, and I’m proud of myself for doing so on the last day of indulgent vacation.

Last edited:
A Bermuda vacation sounds amazing right now! I am living vicariously through your photos - it looks lovely.

It was so nice, and so easy to get there from DC! I didn't realize how much I missed sunlight and warmth until I got there, and to be honest, had my boyfriend and our dogs not been back at home, I might have just stayed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts