Hippos and Tigers and Flowers, Oh My! - A Solo March '18 TR - COMPLETED 7/13 - Final Thoughts+New TR

The dessert party looked great in your September TR, glad you enjoyed it a second time! I loved the Mickey kabobs though, so I would have been sad not to see them this time around.

Your fireworks pictures are terrific! ....especially.....

UIeEWjF.jpg
THIS ONE!!!!!! Mickey!! :)

So, a vote-helpful or creepy? :tongue:
I vote helpful! If they had asked you, "Hey, want to hold our kid? Here!" THAT would've been creepy! But, I have to agree with someone who said above, it really is nice when other people enjoy your kids and are kind to them. Thumbs up for you!

Ok, it's a relief the votes have been "helpful" not creepy! :P

I love your shirt for the evening! Very apprioriate! :thumbsup2

I def think I want to do this on our next trip. The crowds are just too crazy waiting. And I do want to see it again.

Now that we have met and spent time together, I totally can see you doing this!

I vote helpful! As I personally found your kindness SUPER helpful when we were in Disneyland. ;)

Also, this is why you should stop at 2 kids. You end up being out numbered!
I picked up the shirt at Disneyland specifically for the DAH event!

I'd definitely recommend doing the dessert party. Most relaxing way to view the fireworks!

I know this is ahead of the game, but since you referenced it...

I very much appreciate your approval of going on the PeopleMover again. :D
Well, I do love that ride!

Ooh, we're doing the dessert party for the first time on our next trip, and it's always nice to see a good review. We're mostly doing it for the fireworks view too :)
Awesome, I hope you have fun!

As a mom with 4 kids, I vote helpful. I love when strangers enjoy my kids and are kind.
Thanks!

Wow, looks like a great dessert party and how nice of you to help the family! I am so excited to hear about your DAH event, I loved it last year sad I missed it this year!
Yeah, that sucks that you couldn't go. At least Disney allowed you to get reimbursed in a way!

Glad you enjoyed the dessert party again! You got some great fireworks pics! And very nice that you could squeeze in seeing Once Upon a Time!
I was happy to get to see Once Upon a Time!

I'm so glad that you have enjoyed the Plaza Garden view dessert party! I'm doing it next month with my roommate. She's never been to disney before! So I want her to have a good view of the fireworks and projections1
I think you won't regret it! The garden is always nice and uncrowded, so its so much less stressful!

I say you were being helpful in that stranger interaction. It wasn't like you yanked the daughter off of the dad's shoulders, you asked. Shows how much of a nice impression you left on them. I could never do it, but more power to you.

"Is it really a good ride if you didn't put your feet up?" CORRECT.

Yay for catching Once Upon A Time and I so agree, Peter Pan is the best part (ALWAYS the best part.) I can't wait to hear about your After Hours experience! Hopefully you also managed to meet some of the cool rare characters they have out hehehe :mickeyjum
Unfortunately, no rare characters at DAH-that is the DVC Moonlight Magic events. They just had the regular characters (Princesses, Ariel, Mickey, Tink). And actually... now, brace yourself... I didn't meet a single character on this trip! :eek:

The dessert party looked great in your September TR, glad you enjoyed it a second time! I loved the Mickey kabobs though, so I would have been sad not to see them this time around.

Your fireworks pictures are terrific! ....especially.....

THIS ONE!!!!!! Mickey!! :)

I vote helpful! If they had asked you, "Hey, want to hold our kid? Here!" THAT would've been creepy! But, I have to agree with someone who said above, it really is nice when other people enjoy your kids and are kind to them. Thumbs up for you!
I know-I was pretty excited about that photo!

Day 1, Part 7 Disney After Hours, Part 1

After OUAT, I headed back into Tomorrowland.

G3v8FBQ.jpg

Zach was still finishing up with Mickey, so I decided to take a ride on Buzz, which was a walk-on; while it wasn’t my favorite in September, I decided to give it a second chance. I did learn since then that you can just keep holding down the shooting button and aim it and it will keep sending out blasts. So this time I got a higher score, but still didn’t do great. I still don’t like this ride though…

YGjOWXo.jpg
o4YNvkz.jpg
ZpPwUBY.jpg
663apLq.jpg

Once I headed out, Zach and I finally met up, for another ride around Tomorrowland! I do love that ride!

aeqxx4y.jpg
qwr2EiD.jpg

Oh, look EPCIT! You'll have to wait until Zach gets to that point in his TR to understand that joke…

rNHIPwI.jpg

And then Zach requested to ride Buzz, since I don’t know if he’s ridden it that much or at all. Though he totally kicked my ***! I’m 145,000, and he’s 793,000! I think he got some of those bonuses!

Edit: I read it wrong, Zach had 79,300 and I had 14,500! So he still beat me, and I was even more pathetic than usual!

VaAzZBG.jpg
ZTmjt3Z.jpg
lUxE73u.jpg

We then decided to ride Space Mountain, which neither of us really like, but hey, with no line, might as well give it another chance. We tried to do the Home Alone face, but the CM told us the wrong side of the rocket to look at! We also were on the left side rocket, which I felt wasn’t as rough as the right side rocket (which was the only one I had done before). We both shouted at each other during the ride, I have a very bad feeling about this! (remember, Star Wars geeks!)

94VuFUg.jpg
uZvfDY3.jpg

On our way out we got held up on the walkway by a woman who decided, rather than walk on the moving WALKWAY, she would just stand. And she was pushing someone in a wheelchair, so everyone was stuck behind them. When Zach and I finally asked to get around her, she gave us attitude, so I did it right back!

vCqKyrV.jpg

Last edited:
Anyways, we then headed up and over to Storybook Circus. Continuing our theme of going on rides we normally wouldn’t bother to wait in, we decided to hit up The Barnstormer, which I don’t think Zach has ever ridden before (he was worried he wouldn’t fit).

6SaXRLX.jpg
rbYcUxw.jpg

It actually went fine, and was a fun, albeit short, ride. The CMs then let anyone who wanted to stay on, since no one was in line to board, so we did a second round. I think the kids in front of us had gone one 3-4 times in a row.

R3956Ct.jpg

We decided to skip Dumbo, and headed Under the Sea, where I correctly guessed Zach’s favorite fish in the music scene on the first try! I still feel this ride is missing something, though I don’t know what.

gRIwjpQ.jpg
6NhYABB.jpg
39YsK7A.jpg
yBjdL4S.jpg
TfwXhzT.jpg

We considered meeting Ariel, but that was a 15 minute wait, so pass!

But Zach was able to get a nice empty Fantasyland photo! And we made a visit to Gaston's fountain.

XyzXUC7.jpg
gNALyQa.jpg

We made a quick ice cream cart stop (for Disney After Hours, it includes complimentary ice cream treats, popcorn, and bottled soda/water). I think Zach got a fruit bar and a water, while I got 2 waters and a coke (1 water to drink, and the other bottles to save for later). We stepped to the side to get everything organized, and then the CM announced that booth was out of water… Zach and I looked at each other and were like-Run Away!

The line for 7DMT was pretty long. At the start of DAH, while there are still regular standby guests in the queues, they let DAH people go thru the fastpass line; then once all the other guests finish, they send people thru the regular queue. While we were there I think they were just transitioning over from fastpass to regular queue, because one moment there was a super long line extending out the fastpass area, and the next, all those people filed into the regular line.

Anyways, we decided to skip for now.

Instead, walk-on to The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. I don’t think I have a preference between this one and the version at Disneyland; they are similar but also a bit different…

tSfIwiA.jpg
QZ4VbRq.jpg
pPyQBV1.jpg
JGS14RB.jpg
ZfN3cWE.jpg

Then, since we were there, we decided to hop onto Mad Tea Party, which was running maybe 75% empty!

AuofxtG.jpg
6KmYLv7.jpg

Zach and I squished into one teacup (a bit difficult since he is so tall, and I guess I’m a little taller than average)! But we decided to go all out with the spinning and I took some fun videos of Zach!

Mxo82EH.jpg
g6oBNkY.jpg

When we were done, we honestly stumbled off the ride because we were so dizzy!

Coming up - More Disney After Hours and an absolutely awesome experience!

Ah...Reliving that night was awesome. Thanks for the read, and looking forward to the rest. I hope you don't beat me to the "awesome experience," but you will. :D

Following. I can't wait to read more. Also, you take lovely pictures. I never know how to pose and I end up looking so...silly...

We stepped to the side to get everything organized, and then the CM announced that booth was out of water… Zach and I looked at each other and were like-Run Away!
I seriously LOLed at that :) I can picture it! Looks like your evening was off to an awesome start!

Long time lurker, but had to let you know I'm enjoying your trip report. You might want to go back and look at your score on Buzz because Zach did beat you. I suck at it too and my dh always seems to beat me, lol.

Your night looks like so much fun. My kids always want to just ride the moving sidewalks. I'm always telling them to walk. It's rude to block the path. I hope they learn and aren't inconsiderate teens/adults ::yes::

We are planning on DAH next February, so I'm excited to see all that you got done! It seems kind of like what emh used to be...and didn't have to pay for. :rolleyes1:laughing:

Ah...Reliving that night was awesome. Thanks for the read, and looking forward to the rest. I hope you don't beat me to the "awesome experience," but you will. :D
Yeah, it was super fun!

Following. I can't wait to read more. Also, you take lovely pictures. I never know how to pose and I end up looking so...silly...
Thanks so much! I normally hate photos of myself, but with Disney, it brings up good memories, so I can get over it!

I seriously LOLed at that :) I can picture it! Looks like your evening was off to an awesome start!
Yeah, it was pretty funny! Didn't want to get caught in the ire of all those people in line behind us! But I think they restocked later. And there were plenty more snack carts who had water too!

Looks like DAH was off to a great start! You got on so many rides already!
I know, pretty much walk ons everywhere except for the big-ticket ones!

Long time lurker, but had to let you know I'm enjoying your trip report. You might want to go back and look at your score on Buzz because Zach did beat you. I suck at it too and my dh always seems to beat me, lol.
Haha, he totally did! I really sucked that game! I think I just gave up at one point!

I totally think the left side is smoother!
The video os Zach makes me dizzy just watching that small snippet!
Yeah, it's still terrifying (especially being experienced with DLR Space Mountain), but not as bad as the right side. It was sooo dizzy afterwards!

Your night looks like so much fun. My kids always want to just ride the moving sidewalks. I'm always telling them to walk. It's rude to block the path. I hope they learn and aren't inconsiderate teens/adults ::yes::
I think if you stand to the side, it's totally fine because people can get around; I mean once even Lauren and I just stood to the side because we were too tired to keep walking, but we intentionally tried to be as small as possible to let people pass. But this woman had a huge wheelchair, and just refused to move! She started out walking slowly, so I thought she was just getting situated, but I guess she was just getting the brakes to activate. :headache:

We are planning on DAH next February, so I'm excited to see all that you got done! It seems kind of like what emh used to be...and didn't have to pay for. :rolleyes1:laughing:
Yes, certainly!

Day 1, Part 8 Mine Trains, Ships, and Carpets

After getting super dizzy, we headed out and over to Peter Pan’s Flight, where the line was a bit too long for our liking (posted 25 minutes). At that point, we split up, because Zach wanted to head to Frontierland, and I felt like just waiting for 7DMT.

On my way over, I stopped at another cart for more water/soda bottles for later; I actually didn’t get any ice cream all evening, because I was soooo stuffed from dinner and the dessert party and I didn't want to get sick!

When I got to 7DMT, it was a 25 minute posted wait, but I decided to just wait it out. Well, that definitely was over inflated, because it ended up being a 10 minute wait (a vast majority of the queue was roped off). And I was happy to be able to finally see the interactive queue elements, since I’ve always just fastpassed it! Unfortunately I couldn’t get enough of the barrels spinning at once and no one else wanted to help, so I couldn’t see the surprise in the center!

LqjMaku.jpg
if4UL4T.jpg
NWhe8go.jpg
LK7CFiU.jpg

I actually requested to be the front row of the last car. I wanted to see if the last car was more intense, but figured front row is better for photos! And, thankfully, they didn’t seat anyone with me, so I wasn’t as squished as normal. Though those bars definitely squish my thighs! I get the ride was supposed to be dwarf sized, but would it have hurt the imagineers to maybe make it a bit wider?

PUMMjhX.jpg

tohZgil.jpg
2W5T6io.jpg

We got held up for a moment in front of the cottage, and the moon was super full above us, which was neat, but unfortunately my picture was a bit blurry.

My1UQjL.jpg

I decided next to just loop around for another ride, and that wait was even shorter, only about 7 minutes (the line didn't even start until it got into the water fountain area). And that included me letting plenty of people walk by me so I could really enjoy the fountain and barrels!

0r2TNog.jpg
TBZjMo0.jpg

Ended up getting I think the second car this time, though I was squished next to someone else. My thighs really ached after this one, so even though the line still looked relatively short, I decided to quit that ride for the night! So, despite it not being a "walk-on", I still got to ride 2x.

Ur5BAXP.jpg
3CdA7np.jpg

Zach and I were trying to meet up again soon, but he decided to go on BTMR and Splash, so I made a stop at Peter Pan. It was still posted 20 minutes, but really was probably a 5-minute wait (line didn’t start until you exited the nursery hallway, so if you walked by you saw a line, but really there weren’t many people).

I ended up letting other people pass me again though, since it gave me time in an empty nursery to fully enjoy the interactive queue! Peter Pan was my first movie in the theatres, so it always has a special part of my heart!

OVONKYe.jpg
OIybi7I.jpg

I wish I had gotten a photo/video, because when I walked up to the shadow wall, it showed my silhouette, which then burst into butterflies! So cool! They also eventually showed Tink stuck in a cage, and when I helped release her, I got a top hat, which I could wave around! That part of the queue is so absolutely amazing and magical! Unfortunately it could never exist at Disneyland due to size restrictions in an already crowded Fantasyland.

clMkWQJ.jpg
E4Yk5im.jpg
0bvCsbI.jpg

So, I think I do have to say, after riding again, I like WDW’s version better than Disneyland. The queue is hands down, amazing. And then the ride itself is much smoother, but still has the drops and dips (last September I forgot about the drops, so I thought Disneyland only had them). And the animatronics are cooler and you can see them better. But I do prefer Disneyland’s version of London at night, and love flying thru the stars around Neverland, which are my favorite parts, so I still love Disneyland’s too! (None of my photos turned out on this ride; moving too fast, so I could see the figures and colors, but they were too blurry)

xFPBIFa.jpg

Once I got to Adventureland, Zach was still visiting the Laughing Place, so I took a round on The Magic Carpets of Aladdin, which are so relaxing! I ended up riding 2x in a row because the CMs were allowing people to just remain seated. I had my own carpet, but realized I could reach the tilt button for the row behind me, so I'm sure I looked awkward (with one hand on the up/down controls and one hand on the tilt controls), but still had fun!

g4RJczT.jpg

I also had one of the best CMs working there, who was just so giddy! They were letting anyone who wanted to, remain in the carpet for another round, but when it came to let other people in, he just ran round shouting “You get a carpet, and you get a carpet, everyone gets a carpet!” and another time “Welcome to Candyland!” He also did other things, and it was just great. I made sure to do a cast compliment for him afterwards!

Cont... The "amazing experience" is coming up in the next post, but I'm going to delay publishing until Zach gets a chance to put it up since he was the one who instigated it!

When I got to 7DMT, it was a 25 minute posted wait, but I decided to just wait it out. Well, that definitely was over inflated, because it ended up being a 10 minute wait
Wonder why htey have the waits so high. The whole point of that event is that everything should be a walk-on.

And I was happy to be able to finally see the interactive queue elements, since I’ve always just fastpassed it! Unfortunately I couldn’t get enough of the barrels spinning at once and no one else wanted to help, so I couldn’t see the surprise in the center!
We waited once, the que is super fun. Maybe waits will go donw once Tron is built.

I get the ride was supposed to be dwarf sized,
Ha dwarf sized....

Are you whistling while you work?

but when it came to let other people in, he just ran round shouting “You get a carpet, and you get a carpet, everyone gets a carpet!” and another time “Welcome to Candyland!”
That is great. I would think that it would be a fun event to work.

Cont... The "amazing experience" is coming up in the next post, but I'm going to delay publishing until Zach gets a chance to put it up since he was the one who instigated it!
Talk about a cliff hanger!

That's awesome that you could get on SDMT twice with short waits!

I'm glad you enjoyed the interactive Peter Pan queue, it's so fun and helps make the time go quicker if you're waiting in line.

Your rides on the carpet sound like they were fun! That CM sounds so awesome!

Not sure why the barrels are the only thing I quoted from that update!! But, I do love them :)

DAH sounds like a great deal! I'd be stocking up on pop and water for later, too!! So smart. And having all the walk ons is so worthwhile!

I love encountering CMs who just truly love their jobs!! Glad you did a compliment for him.

Now I'm just tapping my fingers waiting on that amazing experience!!

I next headed to Adventureland. The crowds weren’t too bad this afternoon, with the view down Frontierland:
That's a lovely view! I remember on our trips years ago that strip was almost always that empty.

I originally wrote that before the videos came out with the actual change, and it's, well, not very impressive
Agree. Not impressive at all :snooty:

I do love this area (we don’t have it in DL), with the stairs everywhere
Did you know that particular area is supposed to be modeled after the Winchester House in California?

Including the Mickey Bar magic shot, which I was pretty excited to find! Though I had to curl my arm and hand in a very awkward position,
This is the first I'm hearing about this shot! Adorable :goodvibes I agree your arm probably looked really weird before the Mickey bar was added in lol

I highly recommend this dessert party, and was one of the only things I repeated from September.
We've done a few dessert parties including the Wishes dessert party in 2012, and really we haven't loved any of them. I did like doing JBJB for the good viewing, however I'm seriously considering booking this one for our August trip. Steve and I have only seen HEA in the park once and the boys haven't seen it except on the Pirates and Pals cruise and from the WL dock. No way am I battling the crowds that form to watch in front of the castle, so other than watching from over by the carousel I think this is our best option for seeing it in the park. And really, the idea of desserts is ok with me ;)

do you want me to hold her so you can hold him?

So, a vote-helpful or creepy? :tongue:
I know you've gotten your answers already but want to chime in anyway and say I agree with everyone, helpful! Since my kids are older now I'll often offer similar things to others with small kids because I remember times I could have used an extra hand, especially if Steve wasn't around. If they look at me funny who cares, let them think I'm strange, I'll never see them again (unless they end up being our resort neighbors but in that case I assume they just won't let their kids in the hallway alone lol).

Also, this is why you should stop at 2 kids. You end up being out numbered!
:rotfl2:

hen Zach and I finally asked to get around her, she gave us attitude, so I did it right back!
See I would do something like this, and then Steve would get made at me for doing it :rolleyes:

Unfortunately I couldn’t get enough of the barrels spinning at once and no one else wanted to help, so I couldn’t see the surprise in the center!
Every time we go by the barrels I slow down and wait for other guests to spin the barrels. My family will be far ahead of me and I'm kind of creeping along, ready to jump back to the barrels if all but one are spinning :laughing: A few times I've even said to people "spin the barrels!!!!" But as soon as you're down to only needing one more spinning - someone walks away :(

Wonder why htey have the waits so high. The whole point of that event is that everything should be a walk-on.
Yeah, maybe they just posted a decent time to make sure you weren't upset once you got in line? I think they said the first year of DAH it was absolutely walk-on with totally empty park photos. Then the next year it was a bit busy but not bad. This year definitely had more people, though the waits I experienced weren't as bad as some people who had gone to earlier parties.

We waited once, the que is super fun. Maybe waits will go donw once Tron is built.
That's my hope too!

Are you whistling while you work?
You bet I am!

That's awesome that you could get on SDMT twice with short waits!

I'm glad you enjoyed the interactive Peter Pan queue, it's so fun and helps make the time go quicker if you're waiting in line.

Your rides on the carpet sound like they were fun! That CM sounds so awesome!
WDW has such great queues, I wish we could do more of that out in CA! CMs are the best!

Not sure why the barrels are the only thing I quoted from that update!! But, I do love them :)

DAH sounds like a great deal! I'd be stocking up on pop and water for later, too!! So smart. And having all the walk ons is so worthwhile!

I love encountering CMs who just truly love their jobs!! Glad you did a compliment for him.

Now I'm just tapping my fingers waiting on that amazing experience!!
I think some people also went crazy with the amount of ice cream bars! Unfortunately you'll have to wait a little bit longer... I promised Zach I would let him update first!

Did you know that particular area is supposed to be modeled after the Winchester House in California?
I think it's maybe supposed to be like that Escher painting?
AWAAQAHQ-R35639-AEAAAAEA8E.jpg

This is the first I'm hearing about this shot! Adorable :goodvibes I agree your arm probably looked really weird before the Mickey bar was added in lol
I love getting all the magic shots, and CMs appreciate when I know which one I want. I use the photopass facebook page; it looks like they just added a whole bunch more for Animal Kingdom too!

We've done a few dessert parties including the Wishes dessert party in 2012, and really we haven't loved any of them. I did like doing JBJB for the good viewing, however I'm seriously considering booking this one for our August trip. Steve and I have only seen HEA in the park once and the boys haven't seen it except on the Pirates and Pals cruise and from the WL dock. No way am I battling the crowds that form to watch in front of the castle, so other than watching from over by the carousel I think this is our best option for seeing it in the park. And really, the idea of desserts is ok with me ;)
I think you won't regret it! It just helps getting a better view of everything without stressing! And I prefer the Plaza Garden, because the Terrace is more expensive, also not as great of a view!

Every time we go by the barrels I slow down and wait for other guests to spin the barrels. My family will be far ahead of me and I'm kind of creeping along, ready to jump back to the barrels if all but one are spinning :laughing: A few times I've even said to people "spin the barrels!!!!" But as soon as you're down to only needing one more spinning - someone walks away :(
I did explain it to some other people who saw the dwarves pop up on the ceiling, that if lots of people spun the barrels, we could get a surprise, trying to subtly encourage them to stop and help, but no luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter